Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ridgid PC-1375 Plastic Pipe Cutter.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/PC-1375/EN/index.htm

There's the link.

Anyway I like these cutters, and it was time to replace the blade. I bought a new blade at Ferguson's today. I removed the small pin and clip without much problem. The old blade still won't come out. I noticed a thinker pin up in the 'body' of the cutters along with a spring attached to it. I tried working with the spring, but I can't get it to release/move the pin which is holding the old blade in.

Does anyone know of a tip/trick that would make this easier? I appreciate it guys.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: The Ridgid PC-1375 Plastic Pipe Cutter.

I don't know of a trick to pull the pin but I never replace the blade.

Heating that blade is the perfect answer to cutting pvc pipe whether tubular or SCH40 in the cold.

Every one of those I've used over time......the blades always dull quite easily.

Cuts like a hot knife in cold butter.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The amount of time you'd spend heating up a blade every cut/every few cuts when roughing in a whole house would really start to add up quick.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

One of these and maybe two three cuts tops when reworking sink drains whether kitchen or lav, I can wide open cut with the tool and get real close, even cut through aged piping that's a guarantee to snap crackle and pop like a tailpiece off a sink strainer that the pot metal nut is froze solid and not leaking currently. I try to minimize the job from expanding if it has to deal with old stuff. If people see a good finish on a basket strainer it's hard to talk them into replacement.

Start hand cutting or sawzall and it's a callback because 20 year old putty is not your friend.

Perfect example>>>> Stubout on kitchen sink drain in PVC, brittle like glass because hot water has been dumping through it for years. You can turn it into a fiasco if you go after cutting it to install a new connection or just getting onto new pipe to mission off of that.....

now you have snapped the 90 or tee in the wall.

Been there, done that, learned a long time ago to use tools against their first intention to deal with these delicate situations.

You ought to see what I can do with a cable saw with the above method. It goes where no tool has gone before.........
        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I don't really understand what your saying Dun.

Anyway I got the new blade in. I was forgetting to open up the 'housing' of the cutters. It's 2 half pieces. The new blade pops in, and you put everything back together.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            I don't really understand what your saying Dun.

Anyway I got the new blade in. I was forgetting to open up the 'housing' of the cutters. It's 2 half pieces. The new blade pops in, and you put everything back together.

Give it time danielson, you'll get yourself into some whacked out crazy service calls where you have to improvise beyond what any tool can do that goes in your hands.

I'll try to video a couple tricks for you. Remember that if there's an easier way to do something, I'll find it or create it.

Comment

I understand what your point is, just not your examples.

I just invented a tool, and I'm currently waiting on papers from Ridgid to hopefully have this picked up and produced by them.

Pictures/details to come later on.

Pictures/video's would be cool.
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Cool!

Good ideas play into a good income, security.

I have a great one that Watts will make after I produce it. Thing is, I don't want them to....I want to beat them in the market before they can produce my own idea and tell me to stop.

I need a real good connection to china, real good connection to a raw metals plant and tons of advertising to market the product to get it in before the big dogs take it over. The chances of my idea becoming plausible right now? .0004%

Always remember that a trademark can become more powerful than a patent.

Comment

I understand what your point is, just not your examples.

I just invented a tool, and I'm currently waiting on papers from Ridgid to hopefully have this picked up and produced by them.

Pictures/details to come later on.

Pictures/video's would be cool.
                  I would consult a patent attorney before you show or sign anything from Ridgid.
                  THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    Every one of those I've used over time......the blades always dull quite easily.
                    Not the tool he is talking about. It is far superior to any I have used before. I use mine every day (mainly for pex) and its been 6 months and the blade is just now getting dull. I am going to sharpen it with a file, the quality blade that ridgid uses in this tool is really impressive!
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Crappy Days- I'm considering it shortly. Once I take a look at this paperwork they're sending me, I will then make a decision from there. But thank you for bringing it up.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Crappy Days- I'm considering it shortly. Once I take a look at this paperwork they're sending me, I will then make a decision from there. But thank you for bringing it up.
                        I have a friend who is a toy inventor. He sold the patent idea to put suction cups on the feet of Garfield the cat. Remember 20 years ago when every one had one on there car window. At the time he thought that he received a good deal , from the company. Wont say any more as he ended up suing them later on and for all I know maybe he wasn't suppose to talk about it. Anyway they are a large commonly known company as well. Don't get me wrong as I think Ridgid is great and all. All I'm saying is you got to look out for number one. Oh, one more thing if you have multiple ideas. Make sure that you are able to adjust any percentage for future tool contracts. Allot of times they will try to lock you in to the rights for future ideas. My buddy went on to patent Odey the dog or what ever its name was. He made more money on the dog then Garfield due to the structure of his contracts. The dog sold allot less to.
                        Last edited by Crappy days; 02-28-2008, 07:24 PM.
                        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Working...
                        X