X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safely thawing plastic supply lines

Have seen 1 1/4" blue plastic stuff starting to become more and more common instead of 3/4" soft copper from curb stops and well heads to the house. Assume it is a price thing. When this stuff freezes, you can't put a welder on it like you can with copper; no continuity. I have had a bunch of calls on this this winter. I think as this stuff becomes the norm, I will get many many more. My little jetter does the job nicely, but I am concerned about contaminating water with eqipment used in drain lines. I have turned down most of these, did three. One just to see, one to verify it was really that easy, one for a buddy that just didn't care. Soaked my hose and nozzle in bleach for all. Have bought separate equipment will be for water lines only. Still concerned as it must ride in the e-coli wagon (my van) to get to the site. Any thoughts?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Safely thawing plastic supply lines

The stuff you are talking about is and has been used here for some time. The name escape me, never had any problem with freezing. Why not use a heat gun. Blow dryer on steroids.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Have seen 1 1/4" blue plastic stuff starting to become more and more common instead of 3/4" soft copper from curb stops and well heads to the house. Assume it is a price thing. When this stuff freezes, you can't put a welder on it like you can with copper; no continuity. I have had a bunch of calls on this this winter. I think as this stuff becomes the norm, I will get many many more. My little jetter does the job nicely, but I am concerned about contaminating water with eqipment used in drain lines. I have turned down most of these, did three. One just to see, one to verify it was really that easy, one for a buddy that just didn't care. Soaked my hose and nozzle in bleach for all. Have bought separate equipment will be for water lines only. Still concerned as it must ride in the e-coli wagon (my van) to get to the site. Any thoughts?
      Once again I'm learning something new and trying to troubleshoot from the hip.You're jetter is put into the pex? So you have access to the ice/water.Can you make caps with anodes to conduct electricity into the water and have that as you're conductor?I presume that is how you're using the welder.If not....tell me please how the welder works,I'm going into a panic attack.

Comment

Cause its frozen from the footer (or further) out from the house for 40'. Loser excavators think 8' will be plenty deep.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          tell me please how the welder works,I'm going into a panic attack.

you hook one lead onto the curbstop or a hydrant (the base of the hydrant, not the top; that eats up the seals in its valve), one on the line coming into the house, then run a buttload of current thru the COPPER supply line to heat it up enough to get a little flow so it will eat the rest of the ice out itself. Disconnect the ground wire from the panel and put ammeters on your lines to see your current is going where you want it to and watch and sniff and be paranoid; I've seen elec services burned off poles like this. sketchy but works great if you've done it enough not to ruin stuff. I don't do it as liability ins is too high. But this blue plastic stuff is plastic; not a conductor, and jetting is the only option I can think of.

Comment

Are you jetting the water line?
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I might be paranoid but I wouldn't run sewer equipment in a potable system. Having a seperate unit MIGHT be O.K.

2 days ago I pulled an anode rod out of a W/H so I could stick my micro seesnake in to see if the dip tube was still in good shape. I stopped just before I stuck it down the water heater. I have that thing in to many toilets and what not. I'm glad I didn't do it.

sure is a good idea I could have used it on a big shack last year.

Comment

And this is why I don't drink water from a faucet

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                  I might be paranoid but I wouldn't run sewer equipment in a potable system. Having a seperate unit MIGHT be O.K.

2 days ago I pulled an anode rod out of a W/H so I could stick my micro seesnake in to see if the dip tube was still in good shape. I stopped just before I stuck it down the water heater. I have that thing in to many toilets and what not. I'm glad I didn't do it.

sure is a good idea I could have used it on a big shack last year.

Thats what i was thinking, putting a water jetter into a potable system. I dont care how well you sanitize it...ewwww
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Yes, that is my whole question... CAN you sanitize it.....

I'm thinking I just don't trust it no matter how long or what I soak it in. Even if it IS perfectly safe people will still gross out.

My plan is to make up a kit of new clean for-water-line-only hose, nozzle, little sump pump and keep it in a bucket with a tight lid and a little bleach in there just to be safe; the bucket/pump will supply my little jetter while I'm doing the job, everything needing kept clean goes back in bucket after job. What do you think?

Comment

I'm thinking I just don't trust it no matter how long or what I soak it in. Even if it IS perfectly safe people will still gross out.

My plan is to make up a kit of new clean for-water-line-only hose, nozzle, little sump pump and keep it in a bucket with a tight lid and a little bleach in there just to be safe; the bucket/pump will supply my little jetter while I'm doing the job, everything needing kept clean goes back in bucket after job. What do you think?

I see it becoming a big hassle and mess. And i still kringe at the thought of using sewer equip on water lines.

Comment

That sounds a lot better to me now. in the plumbing code book it gives the parts per million of bleach to water and how long it has to sit to sanitize a system.

being a plumber I won't say that this system is O.K. but dang it sure does sound like a good idea. Frozen pipes suckkk. and when they are under ground what other choices are there? I'm glad I've only seen it one time. I think you might be on to something.

By the way I'm working on a cottage on lake Michigan that we repaired 30 splits in the water pipe from freezing. yes they are gone all winter, no they don't winterize or shut the well off. They admitted to not knowing how to shut the well off.
                        oh ya split traps and frozen toilets also

Comment

Working...
                        X