Service Plumbers Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Service Plumbers Tools

I've bean using a Klein 5102-18 all my life I keep everything in there. I clean it out when it start to weighs to much. what I like to do is throw two three pegs of lead in my partner bag or bucket when he is not
    looking

Comment

If you do inside service work, one thing to be constantly on the watch for is dirt and grease that gets on the bottom of your bag and then on the customers carpet. All too often I've seen the nasty 5 gallon bucket ring on white carpet.
      sigpic

Comment

Duckbutter wrote: "prop for prefabbing copper & cutting threaded rod or pipe."

Try cutting a pair of v notches 180 degrees apart in the rim of the bucket. Make the top of the V about 1/2" wide and cut it about 1/2" deep.

When you lay your all-thread rod or pipe on the bucket to make a cut rest in in the notches and put a foot on top to clamp it down. Now it won't be sliding around while you cut. Also comes in handy when soldering.

Keep the lid to your bucket and use your hacksaw to cut all the tabs off around the edge except for two or three evenly spaced. Make the cut about 3/8" below the top so that it will not engage with the bucket lip except where you have left the tabs. The lid now goes on/off without a fight. It will clamp on tight enough that if it tips over in the back of the truck it won't spill. And you'll have a slightly better seat when you need it.

I used to keep one 5 Gal bucket full of a set of soldering tools, another with trim tools, and one for running soil pipe/no-hub. PEX, PVC, and all that new-fangled "can't glue it - can't do it" stuff wasn't in the picture when i was in the field. But I did little service work, mostly new commercial construction, and no residential since my apprenticeship in the 70s.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I melted my notches into my bucket soldering. I have a PVC stand that holds my 4 bigger pipe wrenches at the back door of the truck. A large homemade wooden toolbox that holds all my one-job tools that stays on the truck. A regular toolbox for hammer, stuff I haul in when I'll be on a job all day. Tools I use regularly go in my pockets or driver door. My bucket has what I use for any solder job (cutters, mallet, solder, flux, hand torch, rags, solder guard, etc). So if I am soldering, it's all there.
          Unfortunately, so also is small pieces of scrap at the bottom that have to get cleaned out now and then. I hate the bags. Great when you first get them, but they get too cluttered to be useful, and collect dirt like crazy.
          Selected tools for a job go into an empty bucket that gets used to collect water and as a ladder, usually the 7 gallon one. Why do people think that's dangerous anyway?
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Duckbutter wrote: "prop for prefabbing copper & cutting threaded rod or pipe."

Try cutting a pair of v notches 180 degrees apart in the rim of the bucket. Make the top of the V about 1/2" wide and cut it about 1/2" deep.

When you lay your all-thread rod or pipe on the bucket to make a cut rest in in the notches and put a foot on top to clamp it down. Now it won't be sliding around while you cut. Also comes in handy when soldering.

Keep the lid to your bucket and use your hacksaw to cut all the tabs off around the edge except for two or three evenly spaced. Make the cut about 3/8" below the top so that it will not engage with the bucket lip except where you have left the tabs. The lid now goes on/off without a fight. It will clamp on tight enough that if it tips over in the back of the truck it won't spill. And you'll have a slightly better seat when you need it.

I used to keep one 5 Gal bucket full of a set of soldering tools, another with trim tools, and one for running soil pipe/no-hub. PEX, PVC, and all that new-fangled "can't glue it - can't do it" stuff wasn't in the picture when i was in the field. But I did little service work, mostly new commercial construction, and no residential since my apprenticeship in the 70s.
            The notch trick was what I was referring to...on commercial I used to keep my sawzall handy with a 24 blade and just use the bucket rather than walk all the way back to the job-box where the bandsaw was set up.
            I like the lid idea, but all too often my tools are taller than the height of the bucket.
            As far as seperating tools by job type like copper, DWV or gas...I wind up needing tools from each category far too often to seperate them.
            I keep two buckets going with the most common tools, a third with odd seat tools, flare tool, stem puller, and other tools I don't pull out as often.

Comment

On residential there isn't too much you can't reach with a bucket as a stepping stool...however, even though I do it, I have to admit it isn't the safest stool.

Comment

I use a 5 gallon bucket as well. When I get to the job, I fill it with the tools I think I need, prevents me from weighing myself down. The only downside is a might make another trip for a tool I did not throw in.

Comment

I used to use a bucket to stand on.

I seen a guy fall off of one and break his ankle. Not only was he off work, he had to have surgery, then was laid off.
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

two stainless steel, one rubber(one side flat)

Comment

First off every tool had a spot in my truck and after I used it it went back. That way if a helper borrowed a tool I could generally spot it before I left the job. To transport my tools and materials to the project area I carried a bucket.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada Plumber
                        Herk, what do you use for a PEX ring cutter? I usually use a Lenox folding saw, or sometimes my cordless Dremel. If there is an easier way, I'd like to know it.
                        I use a PEX Ring Remover. Heh. I think this is like the one I use. Last time I bought one, it was only about $50.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          If you do inside service work, one thing to be constantly on the watch for is dirt and grease that gets on the bottom of your bag and then on the customers carpet. All too often I've seen the nasty 5 gallon bucket ring on white carpet.
                          I keep several of those chair pads, which are like pampers that people with incontinance use. They are about 14" square. I put one down before I put my bucket on anything other than a tile floor.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

What about flashlights? What's your preferred method of illumination?
                            I use mainly a Dewalt with the 18volt battery and the goose neck.
                            I use a clip on light with a cool florescent bulb if I'm going to be under the sink for any length of time.
                            And I LOVE those little yellow Eveready lights from HD/Lowes. If you throw away the top and the battery it makes a great little bailing bucket with a handle.(and since it's yellow, one may relieve oneself in it without notice)
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                              What about flashlights? What's your preferred method of illumination?
                              I use mainly a Dewalt with the 18volt battery and the goose neck.
                              Use the exact same one. Be careful in an attic with one. Can melt insulation in about 30 minutes.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

http://www.brightguy.com/products/St...Flashlight.php

Here is the flashlight I carry daily. I love it so much I bought three more.

BTW Brightguy is a good company to buy from. Superfast shipping.
                                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                                X