Service Plumbers Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Plumbers Tools

Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-10-2010, 03:49 PM.

Re: Service Plumbers Tools

the problem I have with bags it they hold so damn much that in time mine ends up weighing about 75 lbs. That and I pile so much crap in it what I want is always at the bottom. My solution is to have my apprentice carry the bag and hand me tools, kind of like a brain surgeon.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      the problem I have with bags it they hold so damn much that in time mine ends up weighing about 75 lbs. That and I pile so much crap in it what I want is always at the bottom. My solution is to have my apprentice carry the bag and hand me tools, kind of like a brain surgeon.
      I need is one of those!
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Every so often I dump the bag out and try to eliminate stuff. And by the end of the week most if it has returned. Kind of like homing pidgeons. The thing I really need to stop doing is stuffing fittings, bits of copper, drain washers, and just plain garbage back into the bag
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Every so often I dump the bag out and try to eliminate stuff. And by the end of the week most if it has returned. Kind of like homing pidgeons. The thing I really need to stop doing is stuffing fittings, bits of copper, drain washers, and just plain garbage back into the bag
          I do "the dump" a few times a week, par for the course.
          Trying to tell myself I'll just carry out the scrap & garbage seperately is something I just gave up on.
          Just spew my bucket on the tailgate, remove tools & fittings..put scraps of copper & steel fittings where they belong & toss out the garbage.
          I used to use a bag, but the bucket is just too handy...catching water, stepping stool, prop for prefabbing copper & cutting threaded rod or pipe.
          Keeping longer tools like wrenches & channel locks standing up straight in the bucket keeps fewer smaller tools from being buried out of sight.

Comment

I have bought more tool bags than my wife has purses. Two months ago I took my tool bag in and weighted it. It weighed 64#. That is just too much weight for me. I went out and bought a new bag and got it down to 34#.

The model of Veto bag I like weighs 11#. That seems too much for just the bag.

To be honest, the bucket boss worked the best. The thing I hated was carrying a bucket of tools into a customers home. I just felt unprofessional.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I wonder how much of my life has been spent perched on a 5 gallon mud bucket.?

sigpic

Comment

I carry hand tools in a plastic tool box. It's hard finding a favorite. The last one I had was a tad smaller than the one I have now, but the tray seemed to work better.

I have a trick where I put a couple of plastic boxes inside to separate things. I have a box in the truck for "spare parts," and try to never put anything in the hand tool box, but it's really tempting to throw 3/8" nuts or something in there to have them handy.

I use cat litter boxes for storage, and larger plastic bins. Things like valves or test equipment stay dry and sorted. I like the ones with the hinged lids that can't blow off in my open truck.

Niftier tools include such things as a set of various picks for o-rings, washers and packings; a PEX ring cutter; ratcheting box wrenches for hard-to-reach toilet tank nuts; Sioux Chief faucet nut tool. (similar to Ridgid's.)

Comment

Herk, what do you use for a PEX ring cutter? I usually use a Lenox folding saw, or sometimes my cordless Dremel. If there is an easier way, I'd like to know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                    I have bought more tool bags than my wife has purses. Two months ago I took my tool bag in and weighted it. It weighed 64#. That is just too much weight for me. I went out and bought a new bag and got it down to 34#.

The model of Veto bag I like weighs 11#. That seems too much for just the bag.

To be honest, the bucket boss worked the best. The thing I hated was carrying a bucket of tools into a customers home. I just felt unprofessional.
                    This is in no way angled as a bad word angled to Mr.Tyman.

This is not the first time on this forum that buckets are looked upon as non-profesional.
                    Who came up with this idiotic perception?

It's similar to the idea that if a guy is not in a uniform it must mean he's not a professional.

Lame

Comment

I use one of those $6 canvas bags from Harbor Freight.

I just load up what I think I need and I try to nail down what I need all in one shot. Of course some things don't always fit in the bag, but close. It could be construed as a purse.

Had one customer comment to that effect, I told him I was glad I didn't write the bill yet. Never worked for that guy again...
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I use a simple canvas tool box. The open box with the strap and handle and has about 40 pockets on it. I keep everything in there. I have to clean it out twice a week. I end up throwing everything in there.
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                          Herk, what do you use for a PEX ring cutter? I usually use a Lenox folding saw, or sometimes my cordless Dremel. If there is an easier way, I'd like to know it.
                          I guess you don't know there is a crimp-ring buster tool made specifically for this purpose!
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            I guess you don't know there is a crimp-ring buster tool made specifically for this purpose!
                            I had one then gave it away since It doesn't work for me. I use a dremel or just cut the fitting off since you want uncrimped pipe at the connection.

A use the Ridgid Jobmax bag. Outstanding. I usually leave it in the truck and just take what I need for small jobs. I also carry a seperate hvac service bag.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Where to keep my tools has always been one of my biggest truck challenges.
                              I now keep 5, two gallon white paint buckets from Lowe's. I put like tools together. Screwdrivers in one, saws and bladed or cutting tools in another, grasping or squeezing tools (channel locks, pliers, etc.) in one, lever type and non-squeezing (basin wrench, open end & box wrenches, sockets, etc.) in one. I also keep one or two empty ones and a couple of plastic oil pans (one triangle and one round).
                              It's easier to find what tools I need, put them in one of the empties and bring them to wherever the work is. And I'll bring one empy in for trash or water.(That triangle oil pan is great for under sinks or under the toilet tank. It fits in corners quite nicely too.)
                              I also keep a large rubber maid container for the larger less used tools( ladles, yarning irons, crowbars, big hammers).
                              To top it off, I have a tote bag with a bunch of pockets for allen wrenches, bit cases, razor knife, scissors etc , small stuff that i use all the time. It stays in the truck, I throw what I need into the bucket.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X