Cleaning my Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning my Truck

Is punishment to say the least. I spent 3 hours out there tonight, the deeper I go back into the truck the more tools/scrap copper/brass/and tons of garbage I bagged from months ago.

I even found my loyal tri-stand from ridgid I bought off ebay for $43 dollars....!!! Why buy a brand new one when you know you're throwing it in the truck, beating it up, getting it dirty.

I cleaned up my closet auger from my 9/10 o'clock service call banging through a soap bar stuck in a crane toilet last night.

One thing is for sure; my next truck will be the ultimate. I don't care if I have to work for the truck just to drive it or not.

Here's an idea what's coming:
    • Remote control solenoid locks on all doors on the truck, including the boxes and back french doors. No different keys, no heating the keys with a lighter or using deicer. I already have remote start and can fire the truck up from 400 feet with no problem. This is great for winter or summer; crack the windows slightly and turn your settings up before you go in to the shop, a customer's home, big box store.
    One button locks and unlocks the truck at one single command
    • Rear camera for backing up. I own one, bought it two years ago at christmas and can't find it. That way I can see behind me and the new truck models have sensors that indicate by sound how close you are to a non-moving object. Great for parallel parking.
    • Rolling floor tray; I wouldn't use wood for this equation but possibly a thicker aluminum diamond plate with an anti-skid mat on top. Figure out a way to make it where it is gear driven instead of manually locking and unlocking the pins to roll it. This gets cumbersome if you are not on level ground. Hard to roll out going downhill, dangerous if going uphill. No more getting in the truck on your hands and knees.
    • Box/compartment lights for each and every box on the truck Small push button start generator and/or converter off the truck for 110 volt applications for substantial use. The idea is to have the ability to run any tool on that truck out at the truck, off the back of it for whatever reason. (Hint >>> Ridgid 690/700 for us old folk)
    • A compartment on the truck dedicated to refrigeration. Meaning a fridge with icebox if possible that's small to conform into the depth of the box and hold drinks/food and not have to constantly go to restaurants/food marts/anywhere that slows you down between service calls or costs more money in a day of work. Buying smart on that gammut will save tons of money in this fashion, buying in bulk and then laying out what to put on the truck is so much cheaper, get away from fast food all together.
    The lunch box thing to me is a royal pain in the *** every summer and if I don't remember to put my ice packs in the freezer to freeze them, I'm basically buying cold drinks with a short life before they get warm.
    • These new pipe racks I invented that someday I'll market to the public that will be something a long time coming for people with back problems or short people that have to jump up on top of their tire or on the bumper, open a door to get to the product.
    I'll think of more but I fell twice while writing this. I'm a truck man so I'll never own a sprinter or cube van, van itself.

I want that cab to have the luxury of comfort. I've been rough on my present truck but when I get the full size bed, that won't be an issue and I'll be able to get rid of the need for a crew cab. Extenda-cab will be plenty.

I'm hooked on turbo diesels and the new ones are quieter so I'm thinking it's for the better. Dual tanks next time for limited trips to fuel up.

If I get an employee later this year I'll probably buy a van, load it up and let the guy destroy it. I can get a new Ford E-250 around twenty grand. To stock it and put those expensive racking system in, drain cleaning equipment, add another $15-$19 grand.

And that doesn't guarantee they show up monday morning either. Nobody takes the vehicle home, ever.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-02-2008, 12:37 AM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Cleaning my Truck

I used to be like you, now I keep on top if it. I clean my truck at least twice/week, sometimes daily. I learned its better to do 10 minutes/day instead of 3-4 hours every so often.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I've been approached by Nat'l Geo to do a special documentary on new, mysterious life forms in the dark corners of the back of my truck.
      I'm holding out for more money.

Comment

We are all guilty of a dirty truck one time or another. I have to clean mine twice a week, or it starts to look like a battlefield in there.

One day i would like to get a box truck, with the ramp. Id love to be able to walk around the back of the truck standing upright. I to am a fan of the turbo diesels.

You have some good ideas Dunbar.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I usually enjoy cleaning out my van when nothing is pressing. I spend about 10 min. every morning just putting little things back. The boss always knows where to find me in the morning.

Power locks on a van is a must have in my opinion. I also liked the vinyl seats that you could easily wipe down and clean. Some sort of rear heat would be nice to get some heat past the bulk head quickly.
          Don't even get me started on how many times I have put my knee on those bolts on floor of the van.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I'll bet you could save a few bucks just by hiring an apprentice to take care of all those little things.
            sigpic

Comment

Dunbar,We must be cousins back in Ireland. Funny ,I spent the whole day Sat. cleaning out My 350 ford van. Now It's not tool soup for a while. I'm 65 ,My next vehicle will be a loong black Caddy.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I clean mine at the customers house after the job is done. I arrived with a clean truck so why not leave with a clean truck for the next customer(hopefully)? If you stay on top of it, this only takes 5 minutes.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Put in another 2.5 hours last night, bed is still cluttered from jobs 6 months ago.

Tools in the cab are 90% complete and clean, still have to rework all my boxes for my faucet repairs. <<< Another 2 hours I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    Put in another 2.5 hours last night, bed is still cluttered from jobs 6 months ago.

Tools in the cab are 90% complete and clean, still have to rework all my boxes for my faucet repairs. <<< Another 2 hours I'm sure.
                    somehow I've kept my van clean for a week and a half now. That's a new world record for me. Man I wish I had that type A personality that made me keep stuff clean and organized. I'm sure I loose buisness just because my dash is so cluttered with crapx.

That's it today my dash gets cleared off. by clean I just ment the back of the van. Hey rome wasn't built in a day

Comment

I got to ride in Dunbar's truck on the way to the restaurant. Awesome truck and hey nothing stuck to me after riding in the truck so it passes inspection . The cab in that thing has more space than some vans I have been in.

Comment

The best way to thouroughly clean the van is to have your apprentice roll it over a couple times.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          The best way to thouroughly clean the van is to have your apprentice roll it over a couple times.
                          Almost sounds as though you speak from experience.

When I was a punk I took out a telephone pole with the employers truck.

I think this was the first time I experienced the extended stay at the greybar resort.

Comment

I got one of those contractor trash bags going at all times . It takes 5 minutes to throw my trash in it and put my tools away either after each job or at the end of the day . Yes , I keep a CLEAN truck , Yes ,guess it's anal . Just can't stand tripping over crap to move crap to get to other crap !

When I ride through a neighborhood and I see all kinds of service trucks with doors open and just SH%%&T spread EVERYWHERE ,,, gotta chuckle that they are throwing business away .

Comment

Here's what I experienced this week so far:

Put quite a few hours in cleaning my truck up this past weekend, thought I'd be able to manage it quite well. I took it upon myself to be all neat and tidy, put all my tools back in their neat little designated areas and dare not put any trash on the floor but in a nice new crisp plastic bag.

I did this on my first two service calls yesterday, was doing this after each call and then I gave up. By the end of the rest of the day, the truck was destroyed and it has me delaying my first job of the day big time. Besides a waterboss water softener sitting in my front passenger's seat because I had to load drain equipment up yesterday, the front and back of my truck looks like I never cleaned it from the weekend.

It's hopeless, it's adding too much effort and time to my daily course of work. It seems like when you're thumping and running calls it's more important to be on time and run to the next call, keep getting in 2 driveways in one hour to keep that first hourly charge going through the day.

As long as I can find my tools, I'm rolling. When I was hunting for work in my humble beginnings when I started my business, truck was immaculate. I can't say that now as it's just a different priority that doesn't equate to staying clean.

I never ever keep anything on my dashboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X