Collecting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting?

Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM.

Re: Collecting?

Are we talking "legal methods."? Cause I find a bottle of shampoo dumped in his pool get attention.
    sigpic

Comment

Yea, the thrill is gone
      sigpic

Comment

I've referred a few accounts (over 10000) to a collection agency, however they take 25%. My biggest problem isnt not getting paid, its not gtting paid n time that messes me up.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Depends on the situation.

Which card is he playing.

If he's bluffing a high hand tell him you're
          GOING TO LEIN THE PROPERTY

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
            Does a lien have any weight/teeth if a contractor were to claim bankruptcy though?
            Out here it is the resposibility of the property owner to make right any liens on their property before it can be sold.

Not fair to the owners if they hired a scumbag.But if he's going bankrupt 'cus of them....

It's has worked for me to inform the contractor of my intentions If he does not honor our agreement.They scream like a bi*ch but I get my money.

They do not want the community to know what I know.

Comment

If it goes into the range that Big Pipe09 is talking about I have someone that guarantees my money
              (for a pecentage)

He warns"You'll never be able to work with the guy again"
              Fine with me,I did'nt screw the pooch.

Comment

You still haven't told us his play.

What's he offering $.50 on the dollar.How much have you gotten off your draws.Did you get a down payment.Is he a first timer,Owner-builder.Who else does he work for.

This is bound to happen to all of us.

Just depends on how far you are willing to go.

Me I'm a little Napoleanick,I dream of a chance like this.One time the guy thought he won by shorting me $5,000.No one that I know will work for him.I enjoy following behind him reveiling to the community who he is.I get more than my moneys worth.

HAAAA-HA-HAAAA

Comment

Tell Rick there's an ice cream in it for him if he gets you're money.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Tell Rick there's an ice cream in it for him if he gets you're money.

for a few grand, there better be the whole ice cream truck in front of the house til i finish it off.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                      His play? Don't know? Done work for him for years and he has been late to pay but has paid. Just not this late with no communication. I do my rough-ins then get paid. Never a problem 'til now. So, I'm owed for these rough-ins fully. Other subs are calling me to ask if I've gotten paid. Meanwhile NO PAYMENTS. Not even partial. Doesn't answer phone. No secret why. Owes everybody and houses are sitting. I don't have time to chase him and get in his collar either. You know why? I'm like you and the water heaters leaking, the toilets backed up, the garbage disposal is broken, etc.
                      Catch him at the grocery store,jobsite,restaurant etc.
                      I would be polite but firm.
                      Others can take the loss not me.
                      He sounds like a child who does not know how to budget.
                      Hopefully you can keep a good raport with you're boot in his ***
                      Get him to pay you as much as you can get off this one and get hundreds off the others he does with another plumber.
                      Don't insult him or it's over.
                      Keep it out of court at all meens

Very thin ice,Good luck

I'm with you

Comment

Shoot,
                        I just saw you posted "HOUSES"

Lump everyone together and take him out back,KIDDING.

There is a lot more going on than a few thousand.

Houses mean lien to me.

Comment

I never have any problems getting paid.

Now, when I worked for larger companies, the occasional problem would arrise and I would squash it within a week of not getting paid, I would send a certified 20 day notice and they would pay, if they wouldn't, I would perfect a lien and have their title stamped. even if they pay, once the title is stamped, it is stamped for life, even when they pay.

I recently had a NSF check though, I believe it was an accident, but after no return calls, I sent a letter quoting the state law on NSF and notified them that I was turning it over to the DA'S office. I had a check in 3 days.

I look at collecting as being fun, granted this check was only for $156.00, if it was a few hundred, my attitude would have been different.

I did tell the customers that I would work for them again, cause once the work is completed, the invoice is signed in all the right places, they owe me the money.

I once had a guy when I was an apprentice try to stiff me on installing a new ball valve, once his water was on he unplugged my cord and threw it out the door and wouldn't answer the door so I could collect, so I went back to the truck, got the hand saw and started to go on the copper pipe, he walked out said stop and handed me a check.

the things people try to do. it's kinda funny, but it is all part of business I guess. keeps things interesting.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I would place a lien on the property. You should be able to place a lien very easily without an attorney. Even if the bank claims the property they cannot have a sale go through without satisfying the lien. Also take him to small claims court.
                            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

JC,

It is important for you to understand your Lien rights in your State to protect yourself. In North Carolina you have 120 days from the last day you supplied labor to file your Lien. Once you have proven your Lien the Lien is on the property not the General/Owner. Even if the bank takes the property in a foreclosure your Lien is still recorded on the deed and must be satisfied to sell the property.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X