Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well I passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    They give you a masters for being an apprentice for more than 2 years?
    no that would be stupid.... i think thats how it works here, dunno have to ask a master plumber i guess.
    if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Thanks again everyone, I feel like a kid, I'm very HAPPY, you would think a grown man would know how to act.
      I only hope I can still learn new things.
      This is getting cheesy. I better stop.

Comment

Originally posted by row View Post
        no that would be stupid.... i think thats how it works here, dunno have to ask a master plumber i guess.

Here's an example of the difficulty of how hard the KY master's is to pass.

J for Journeyman's

M for Master's

9 people showed up, only 1 passed.

2 years being a journeyman before you can test out to be a master but you can't rush that huge base of knowledge, whether you're a book wiz or not.

They purposely ask code questions outside the code book to trip you up, see how well you really know your profession.

I don't know what I would of done if I was a service only, no new construction background.

You almost have to have knowledge of new construction to pass the masters, no matter if you are a service plumbing company or not.

Knowing how it's done from creation gives the backbone to know how to effectively and accurately service and repair.
        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-07-2008, 08:02 PM.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I agree. I have done plenty of new work also. But more service. Rough-in experience, codes and knowledge are essential to pass the test.
          I passed on my first shot, but the one area that I tanked was gas piping....I don't have much experience or knowledge and the gas piping questions really threw me off. My only experience gas-piping is basically service and being a helper threading pipe and minor installations. Luckily I made up for it by knowing the other stuff on the test really well.
          I don't touch gas-piping installations in my business because of my lack of experience. Even though I am licensed to do it. Gas is dangerous and I am not that greedy to do something with so much liability that I know in my heart that I am really not qualified for.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I suppose you'll be wanting a raise now?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              Congrats on your accomplishment. I value my journeyman's license more than my masters.

That is very true, I value mine more then I do my contractors license, I think it was harder to get my Journeymans then it was my contractors, except for the law part.

by the way, congrats on your accomplishment, we need more educated tradesman in this field for sure.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

so what yall are telling me is that you could be a 20 year j-man or a virgin j-man and write the test and.....BOOM your a master plumber? Also i dont know how you guys roll down south but up here you an pull a permit if your 1)a master plumber 2)A HOME OWNER... yeah im a jman plumber and if someone asked me to rough in a basement washroom and they wanted to do it on the level(having problems here in calgary with illegal suites) i couldnt pull a permit the home owner... who may be a lawyer and has no plumbing knowlede @ all, he/she can pull the permit and i cant(unless master) whats up with that?.....
                if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

I don't know how it is around the rest of the country,but where I'm at ,if I held a license for every municipality within a 20 mile radius of my house,I think the number would be 10.

If the local tests were anything other then an excuse to make you cough up $75 to each town I'd be fine with 'em.My 20 month old could pass any j-test around here.

Comment

Here's how it currently works in NH. (we're changing it soon I hope) You do 4 years apprenticeship. Take and pass the journeymans test. Wait 6 months. Take and pass the Masters Test. So you can (and many are) become a Master plumber with 4 years and 6 months experiance. BULLSHIT.
                    sigpic

Comment

Out here a manipulative engineer got his general contractors licence by simply showing proof that he had been buying and selling properties(after some lick and stick upgrades)for 5 years.The Calif. License board gave him some credit for getting a degree in engineering.

So basically he's a General Contrator with some painting skills and nothing else.He sure know's how to blow golden smoke though.

Out here the state want's you to be in the trade for 4 years(easy bootleg).Then you can go and take a test that my twelve year old niece could pass.

Years ago I used to trust the certification.Not now.

Comment

sadly the contractors license is just a way for the state to control the contractor.

If I wasn't who I was and didn't respect my self and the trade, I would have just got a van, no lettering, no license, no insurance and became a hack, like the rest of the "Plumbers" in my area.

But tell you what, I am proud of who I am, and the time I take to become who I am.

I am blessed with customers that don't want the hack.

The contractors test was easier then the journeymans test. I am with Adam, I used to respect people who have the license, but now I question it and believe it is only another control device provided by the govenment. They need to stop making it easier to get.

An ideal world would be this in California:

Supply houses that only sell to contractors
                        Yearly or every 2 year tests conducted by the state in the field you work in
                        Lower the min customer total to $100.00 without a license
                        Required permits on jobs, city paid inspectors to drive around looking for jobs being completed without permits.

HAHAHAHA, maybe a little overboard...... but i don't think so.
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I sat down for my test with about 6 other guys. The tester announced that all tests would be 3 hours except mine. Mine would be 6 hours with a break. The other guys starting mumbling to eachother wondering why my test was so much harder than theirs. (especially since I was the youngest looking guy of the bunch).
                          One guy finally asked, "what test are you taking?"
                          "Plumbing," I said proudly. All the guys started mumbling even more after that. It turns out they were all taking the general contractor's license test and they assumed plumbing was easier than what they do! HAHA!
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                          X