X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easing out 1 1/4 and 1 1/2

I have three types of nipple extractors--Ridgid's, which you have to hammer in, and then the type I call "ease out," which goes into the nipple easily, has spiral "threads" that cause it to turn further into the pipe as it spins counterclockwise. And then the type that has a little swing-out wedge. Image hopefully attached.

I only use the ease out type, or possibly the-swing-out wedge type, never the Ridgid hammer in type. I don't like hammering that hard, and they hardly go in anyway.

I need something for 1 1/2 galv nipples threaded into cast iron under lav and kitchen sink. Have never been able to find ease out type or swing out wedge type this big. Ridgid has the hammer-in type this big, but I don't like that type. Don't want to have to hammer on cast iron.

Anyone have any ideas. Basically, very hard to remove 1 1/2 galv nipple from cast iron. Heat threads with torch. Use two pipe wrenches. But can't get much leverage at all. Often all that happens is nipple eggs. Seems like most people leave the nipple and use rubber boot. Thoughts?

Re: easing out 1 1/4 and 1 1/2

Have you tried Ridgids #942 internal pipe wrench?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Have you tried Ridgids #942 internal pipe wrench?
      Do you mean #342
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
        Do you mean #342
        my nines look like threes on this computer

Comment

Sawzall and a metal blade. Takes a delicate touch, but works every time
          sigpic

Comment

I use the 342 on lav, tub drains. Never tried it on galv. Will give it a try.

Sawzall: blade parallel to nipple? Cut a little section and pry out?

Comment

I think this is what Plumberscrack has in mind.
              http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Internal...h/EN/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post

That's about the only way I use one to get a nipple out.A few weekends ago I had to use that technique only with a hacksaw blade to get a 1/2x2-1/2" brass nipple out of a drop-eared ell for a tub spout.The ell wasn't scewed into a block and it was so tight and corroded I was afraid I was going to shear it off the copper.

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post

Yep that's it exactly. Back in my apprentice days I had to remove close to a hundred radiator valves so that they could be converted to water. This was the only method that worked. As I said though, it takes a delicate touch to keep from spoilint the female threads.
                  sigpic

Comment

I doubt the 342 will do the job. I've tried it on some old, very stubborn claw foot tub drains and bent the handle all to hell. It's not a bad tool for some things but when the thing expands in the pipe it tends to make the joint that much tighter. It's worth a go first though, you might get lucky.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Yep that's it exactly. Back in my apprentice days I had to remove close to a hundred radiator valves so that they could be converted to water. This was the only method that worked. As I said though, it takes a delicate touch to keep from spoilint the female threads.
                      I was going to recommend this also, but was afraid to look like a hack! It works great, but has to be done VERY carefully. If you get crazy with the saw, the female thread will be ruined.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        I was going to recommend this also, but was afraid to look like a hack! It works great, but has to be done VERY carefully. If you get crazy with the saw, the female thread will be ruined.
                        i have done this 100 s of times and some times i hit the threads and had to use some expanding pipe dope
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I use the sawzall once again and pry out the nipple, if you hit the threads, no worries, use KeyTite, nothing gets past that.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            I use the sawzall once again and pry out the nipple, if you hit the threads, no worries, use KeyTite, nothing gets past that.
                            Man,that stuff is like glue/tar.Does help if you use a wrench in conjunction with it.The rest of the crew was trying to get some 2" to hold 60# for a PE pipe gas test today leaks and keytite everywhere.The previous plumber must have been a master contractor thinking if you use keytite you only have to tighten hand tight
                            Last edited by drtyhands; 03-08-2008, 06:17 PM. Reason: clarifying+spelling

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Man,that stuff is like glue/tar.Does help if you use a wrench in conjunction with it.The rest of the crew was trying to get some 2" to hold 60# far a PE pipe gas test today leaks and keytite everywhere.The previous plumber must have been a master contractor thinking if you use keytite you only have to tighten hand tight
                              Did a large multi-residential apt complex that was converted to condo's, switching the gas mains into individual meters.
                              I have never seen so much hand tightened gas pipe in my life with dope all over the place.
                              it was a wing and a prayer not swinging something loose just connecting to the house side.

Comment

Working...
                              X