has this happen to

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: has this happen to

I've cut many a tank off with a sawzall. Short stroke is good.

The dremel with the carbide cutting wheel - I can't mention that enough - it'll cut through a nut in one direction or another - you can cut across it and split it off. If I can't rebuild a normal toilet in an hour, I need to fire myself.

Before I used the Dremel, I sometimes would put a visegrip on the bolt head in the tank. But that was the days when tanks were bigger.

And nothing beats a large pair of Channellocks to get the flush valve off.

I changed the flat rate book entries a bit - the "minor closet rebuild" became "intermediate closet rebuild," since there's nothing minor about it. The other task is "major closet rebuild," and that includes fill valve, lever, flush valve, bolts. "Intermediate" is fill valve and flapper, and I'll throw in a brass closet lever if it needs it.

And those old aluminum frozen-nut levers? You guessed it - moto-tool!

Comment

You've convinced me to get a die grinder. But not quite following how you keep from scarring china.

Comment

I use a Dremel most of the time. A die grinder seems like overkill.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
          You've convinced me to get a die grinder. But not quite following how you keep from scarring china.
          A steady hand a keen eye and experiance.
          sigpic

Comment

I was roughing in a basement bathroom , I hire a kid to help I told him to snap out the 4 in cast I left the chain a sawzall and a grinder . I explained to him how to use the chain he understood it .I left to check something out and get lunch, came back about 2 hr later there he was cradling the drain and grind and grinding sparks all over the place grind mark all over the pipe . we were working right next to the hot water heater and gas boiler . I just stared at him ,he saw me and stopped the grinder look up and said (what do you think almost there) I ask why not use the chain he look me right in the eye and said this is much easer .I was shocked >I grap the chain and in about 30 sec snaped out his mess .took his lunch and throw it out .

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              After about 5-minutes with the tank-bolt you spend another 5-minutes with the Sawzall and your done. I'd fire a plumber if he took him 3-hours to pull a tank. That's not just because it took too long it's because he didn't have the sense to go for the saw after the first 5-minutes.

Mark
              I`m with mark on this one
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by metx View Post
                took his lunch and throw it out .
                Thats not very nice
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by metx View Post
                  took his lunch and throw it out .
                  I'm with you Steve. You can cuss at me, call me whatever but put your hands on me or my property(tools, truck, FOOD, whatever) you better get your hands up real quick. You're lucky you didn't get your a$$ kicked.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I use the dremel with the angle head for the tank bolts. It's great up under the sink on the faucet too. On the closet bolts that spin I cut a slot in top of the bolt and use a small screwdriver to hold back while I turn the nut.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Grasshopper, when you have become one with your sawzall then you will be Shaolin.
                      sigpic

Comment

for what throwing out the lunch i bought .I have never and will never put my hand on anybody . only to protect me and my family .so what are you talking about

Comment

it's "Plumber" there buddy
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I would not give an old tank bolt 30 seconds before pulling out my cordless Ridgid sawzall. Work smarter not harder, let your tools earn their keep.

side note saw the cordless Ridgid sawzall in a pawn shop for $300+. They are only $119 at Home Depot.
                            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                            X