has this happen to

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has this happen to

so i was helping some plumber with a big 3 day job, and they told me to go do a major rebuild, no big deal i can do that. so i go, and i cant get the tank to bowl nuts of the bolts, so i figure ehh maybe i just dont know a trick, so i go to ask for help and they told me to try some wd 40 so i do and no luck.

so i go and ask again, so one of the techs go and help me, and after about 3 hours later he finaly had it off, so im glad it wasnt to just me, but if it was me i would of just "Accidently" broke the tolet, and give them a new one at some point, it ends up being cheaper.

Re: has this happen to

Sounds like a job for Mr. Sawzall and a couple of new bolts. Don't be afraid to get out the heavy artillery once in a while. Can't tell you how many faucets I've had to cut off sinks over the years.

It occurs to me that in two posts tonignt I'm becoming a shill for the sawzall companies. So I'll run with it. You need two. A millwaukee for delicate work and the big Porter Cable Tiger saw for savage destruction stuff.

sigpic

Comment

I recently had one that required a sawzall to get off.
      Normally you are wise to just recommend a new toilet at that point, but the single-lady homeowner couldn't afford a new toilet. So I fixed it. It costs less to fix it still (since I am flat-rate.) Of course it didn't take me that long, maybe an hour and a half total time, but it was one of the most difficult major rebuilds I have done.
      Last edited by Service Guy; 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I've never done it,but I wonder how long it will take me to cut the bolt flush with the nut and drill it with a 3/8 bit till the nut falls off.I'm willing to do it to a W/C here at my house to a toilet that is working perfectly just to find out what the big deal is about.

FLAT RATE MY

Comment

After about 5-minutes with the tank-bolt you spend another 5-minutes with the Sawzall and your done. I'd fire a plumber if he took him 3-hours to pull a tank. That's not just because it took too long it's because he didn't have the sense to go for the saw after the first 5-minutes.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            After about 5-minutes with the tank-bolt you spend another 5-minutes with the Sawzall and your done. I'd fire a plumber if he took him 3-hours to pull a tank. That's not just because it took too long it's because he didn't have the sense to go for the saw after the first 5-minutes.

Mark
            you got it ,way to long .use your brain when at work
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
              Good news for Craig as he's an apprentice.You'll only have to fire his co-worker

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Good news for Craig as he's an apprentice.You'll only have to fire his co-worker
                No doubt about it as Craig is just along for the ride. Besides by the post it seems as if Craig has a lot more sense than his co-worker does.

Mark

Comment

I had one the other day, I do 2 things,

first, I explain to the customer that their toilet may break and I am not reasponsible for it, and if it does, they should have replaced it anyways.

second, I go and get my sawzall that goes 180 different directions. and off goes the tank, had one the other day ont he beach, a nasty green one, the 80 year old customer loved the toilet and it matched everythin in the
                  house

2-3 mins later I had it off and was walking to the van to rebuild it. I try 2-3 times to remove the bolts, if it does not work, thats it, sawzall time with a fine blade
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Stubborn faucets...heck...I use the chainsaw.
                    That is, if the rotary hammer hasn't done the trick.

Seriously, I avoid a sawzall near a basin any chance I can..I'll pull a wall mount down before I risk scraping it up...bad experience as a child, still in therapy over it.

On the underside of a toilet it's a different deal...sawzall as soon as I see crud on the bolts.

Comment

Wierd...I just never run into this. About the only time I've replaced tank to bowl bolts is when they were so corroded they snapped the heads off when I laid the toilet on it's side.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        Wierd...I just never run into this. About the only time I've replaced tank to bowl bolts is when they were so corroded they snapped the heads off when I laid the toilet on it's side.
                        Doing service plumbing leaky tank to bowl gaskets and flush valve replacements are fairly common.

Mark

Comment

Dealt with one 4 weeks ago, customer opted to install a new toilet considering the builder's grade style that was in there.

I usually slide the sawzall blade between the tank and bowl even for the 3 bolt type pattern.

Hard to not scar the porcelain on the bowl if you have a vanity nearby.

The alternative to that is a long blade down inside the tank which is tough but works.

I usually just carefully use my diamond blade and grinder till the head loses its size and pull through the hole.

Works nice. If you accidentally hit the porcelain, use that blade carefully and smooth the score you put in the porcelain so the washer mates clean to the tank's surface.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

one of the most valuable tools i have is a die grinder. it's a dremel on steroids.

little to no vibration like a sawzall cutting.

takes a matter of seconds to reach into the tank and slice off the heads of the bolts. also great for faucet nuts that are frozen.

with the proper blade it can cut anything. i have diamond, high speed and carbide cutters and burrs.

a dremel will work, but it's not heavy duty enough for the long haul.

try one and you'll never have a bolt you can't remove.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

im with rick, i use a demel on bolts and old taps. i learned the hard way the sawzall vibrates too much. i had a tile backsplash fall off a wall , i ended up re-tileing
                              how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                              X