X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex

What is everyone favorite brand throughout the country up in the north east we use wirsbro and watts how about everyone else?

Re: Pex

I don't think I could use the term "favorite"with any brand pex,wish it would all go away.Watts is what we tend to use tho,I guess whatever is cheaper...

Funny thing in Buffalo,theres a new trend towards loft style apartments,with all the mechanicals exposed.Pex usually gets Value engineered in there,and the look on the architects face,when they see the blue and red spahgetti is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by UA22PLumberdude View Post
      I don't think I could use the term "favorite"with any brand pex,wish it would all go away.
      THANK YOU!
      I've worked with Wirsbo when I was working for someone else.
      I'm just waiting for all the plastic to blow up and go back to not being forced to bid jobs with garden hose plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by UA22PLumberdude View Post
        I don't think I could use the term "favorite"with any brand pex,wish it would all go away.
        Amen.

Comment

Up here there's a lot of Wirsbo and then probably Watts and finally Viega. It mostly depends on what the major supply houses carry. I'd like to get all the pex reps together sometime and waith for the fist fight. Who's best.? Depends on who you believe. The only thing that keeps us using Wirsbo is their lifetime guarrantee (parts, labor and property damage) and in several cities in the state Watts and Viega are not allowed because the fittings are restrictive. The plumbing board is considering the issue of restrictive fittings at the next session, based on the theory that you use less fittings with pex therefore there is less overall restriction. My opinion. I like Wirsbo because the joint can be prepared outside of a tight location. Also Wirsbo offers a much more complete line of fittings and transitional fittings than everyone else.
          sigpic

Comment

one company that was plumbing in my area (now out of business) used some garbage Pex pipe from Germany that had aluminum crimps that looked like a radiator clamp. I prefer either Wirsbo or Viega. They are both very common in the trade and fittings can be found at most supply houses.
            ________
            TOYOTA CAMRY HYBRID HISTORY
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Only pex I ever used from Viega was Stadler pipe...that what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                one company that was plumbing in my area (now out of business) used some garbage Pex pipe from Germany that had aluminum crimps that looked like a radiator clamp. I prefer either Wirsbo or Viega. They are both very common in the trade and fittings can be found at most supply houses.
                It sounds like you are talking about RTI Pex with the Otiker pinch clamps. They were owned by Uponor which also owns Wirsbo. From what I've heard they closed RTI down and Wirsbo was suppose to handle all of the warranty problems.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

In the past 20+ years as a plumber I have installed pretty much every potable water piping under the sun. With poly b I used the crimp system as with watts, vangaurd and others. I've installed 100s of 1000s of feet of the stuff. The crimp rings are better than the cinch clamps (Otiker) but expansion rings are the best (Uponor) More important than the joining system is the pipe itself. In the mid 90s I started using Uponors Wirsbo Aquapex with the expansion ring system. Now, when it comes to pex, I won't use anything else! A few reasons I like the Wirsbo system are ... lifetime guarrantee, its easier to use in a tight space, you expand it then put the fitting in. Rather than trying to get the crimp tool into a tight space with the joint already assembled and the ring sliding up and down the pipe. If you have a problem with a fitting with the crimp system its damn near impossible to get the the rings off and reuse the fitting, where as with Wirsbo you just heat the pipe or cut the ring length wise and get your fitting back. You can't leave a open wirsbo line without knowing it. Crimp style you can put the pipe in and put the ring on and forget to crimp it and wont know until you roll water or air. However two of the three can be avoided if your paying attention but you still have to fight those joints that are in tight spaces. Also with Wirsbo you can use both pneumatic and battery powered expanders. The fiitings are the same ID as the tubing (tubing is expanded to recieve fittings) so pressure loss is minimal. A manifold system will out perform the old trunk and branch system and remote manifold with recirc line works great in the 5000sq ft, 6 bath homes. (I would guess that 90% of new residential construction here is Wirsbo) The freeze resistant qualities of pex are also a bonus up here. "Anbody can install it", true enough, but not everybody can make it work well and look nice. I've seen some real hack pex installs and I've also seen some that look like works of art. Like it or not pex is here to stay...
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Most PEX jobs I see look like CRAP! PEX should be banned
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Nice post Hondahead,
                      Saved it to my favorites.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        Most PEX jobs I see look like CRAP! PEX should be banned
                        I beg to differ. The guys installing it need to have a little moe pride in their work. The same comments were made 40 years back when pvc first hit the market. Anyone care to return to the lead pot.? My company uses Wirsbo exclusivly. We install literally close to 50,000 feet of it a year for both potable water and hydronic and radiant heating systems. We install and hang it to code and it looks very good indeed. As for banning it. Will copper pipe stand up to high acit and alkalyne conditions.? Will copper take a hard freeze without splitting. Can you snake hard copper through an interior partition to a second floor.? Does copper have a lifetime warranty.? Can one man rough a two bath cape all by himself in one day.? and finally can you bid copper against pex and be competitive.? It's 2008.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X