• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Last Water Heater Replacement

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
    How old are you Dunbar?

As old as your post count, been a rough life. heh

38....but have a bad back that the doctor's say I'll be 6' tall by the time I'm 50.

I was 6'8" when I was 17, I'm pretty sure Josh stated he's 6'6" and I'm already at that same height or shorter. At least I get to finally get regular sized pants for the first time since I was 14.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Never been a big fan of gate valves, but they do meet the code.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Hasn't been inspected yet, thank goodness. Saves me $35 and embarrassment.
        Don't be, I think it took guts to post it here...fully knowing it'd be picked at.
        Robert did the same thing, as did Hondahead..both got a lot of critique...kudo's to them and you for taking the hits and using it to your advantage.

In mentioning brass, I meant presoldered 3/4" FIP fittings coming off the galvy dielectrics, most say it's overkill, but it's my party..I can cry if I want to.

I'd like to see us all become less inhibited about displaying our work, maybe even use this forum as a way to improve or gather new idea's & techniques without being so concerned with criticism.

I serviced a boiler I installed last summer just a few days ago, meant to take some photo's and of course...completely forgot...dammit.

Also, I never realized you were so young, I'm 40 (going on 15)...we're actually relatively young in the scheme of things.

I completely relate to the back issues, few years back I was advised to seek a new career bacause I have calcium deposits on C-4&5 that cause serious pain/stiffness at times, also a compressed disk at L-7 that doesn't tickle me either.
        It definitely has slowed me down at times, but it was my choice to stay in the trade..so I get no points for complaining.

I got MRI's, the Docs told me I needed surgery and there was no guarantee it would help, I opted out 'till I could no longer take the pain.

Oddly enough, it has gotten better on it's own over time...I'm sure thats just temporary.

Comment

Ahhhhh I see what you mean.

I'm on borrowed time in this profession, I just know it. My thoughts of hiring people just makes me cringe knowing I change the way the ball is bounced.

A drain cleaning call I did last week bothered me, having my face near a urine covered toilet was another, realizing how dangerous and dirty my job really is.

It's not the usual but it's a stark reminder that I'm getting high hazard pay to do my job, not a wage that battles the wits when it comes to knowledge base from another's perspective.

They say, "A man can always judge another's man work" and that's true. I'm really hard on myself; I trimmed that 2" horizontal for the vent 3 times in total, customer got a little frustrated I think by trying to be so damn exact.

I talked to him today and he was very impressed that I was attentive to the correction and that I caught what he said he would of never figured out......

unless another plumber came in behind me and pointed fingers at my mistakes. <<< I'll do a job for free before I let this happen in my profession. I love the fact that I can be trusted for accurracy in my field and people draw to that, pay more money because they are guaranteed a straight shooter who belts the honesty out there to be a better experience than their last experience with a plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Ahhhhh I see what you mean.

I'm on borrowed time in this profession, I just know it. My thoughts of hiring people just makes me cringe knowing I change the way the ball is bounced.

A drain cleaning call I did last week bothered me, having my face near a urine covered toilet was another, realizing how dangerous and dirty my job really is.

It's not the usual but it's a stark reminder that I'm getting high hazard pay to do my job, not a wage that battles the wits when it comes to knowledge base from another's perspective.

They say, "A man can always judge another's man work" and that's true. I'm really hard on myself; I trimmed that 2" horizontal for the vent 3 times in total, customer got a little frustrated I think by trying to be so damn exact.

I talked to him today and he was very impressed that I was attentive to the correction and that I caught what he said he would of never figured out......

unless another plumber came in behind me and pointed fingers at my mistakes. <<< I'll do a job for free before I let this happen in my profession. I love the fact that I can be trusted for accurracy in my field and people draw to that, pay more money because they are guaranteed a straight shooter who belts the honesty out there to be a better experience than their last experience with a plumber.
            Your not on borrowed time. It's just time to train the next generation. Swinging a wrench and working a sewer machine is satisfing, but having other people trained and working your way is more important and probly harder, but if you wanted easy you'd be in another trade. I've noticed the plumbers with big crews making big money never clear drains or swing wrenches themselves. Heck they may suck as plumbers but they make the big money because they manage people.

I replace 1 water heater, stop 1 delta from dripping and auger 1 drain in a day they do 20 or 50 or 100 in a day. They are the winner. Take plumbing away and they will still manage people and still get more work done in a day then me myself and I. They get a bigger share of the pie then me. They deserve it!

You've mentioned a few times just doing the easy jobs. You know it doesn't work that way. Turn down a customers hard job and they won't call you for the easy stuff.

Just my 2 cents. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
              Where I'm from $600 for a days labor is not bad at all for someone who earns their money honestly. Thats here in the Midwest though where the cost of living isnt near what it is on the east and left coasts.

Looks good Dunbar. I assume theres J hooks on the vent that dont show up in the picture.
              i think the same way.

$600. a day x 5 days is $3000. a week in labor. x 50 weeks is $150,000. just labor.

dunbar, nothing to laugh at. there are plenty of qualified guys here that would love to make 600 a day and 150,000 a year in labor.

you didn't lose money. you just didn't get to everything you thought you would. there's always the next day.

i herniated my back about 10 years ago. for 3 to 4 years i had pain everyday. even more when i didn't work. there was a point that i couldn't reach and put my socks on. i even had to get slip on shoes as i couldn't bend enough to tie my laces.

eventually my body healed itself and i feel fine. still have lost some of my flexibility, but not my strength.

so don't knock yourself too hard. you can buy a lot of knockers for $600.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i think the same way.

$600. a day x 5 days is $3000. a week in labor. x 50 weeks is $150,000. just labor.

dunbar, nothing to laugh at. there are plenty of qualified guys here that would love to make 600 a day and 150,000 a year in labor.

you didn't lose money. you just didn't get to everything you thought you would. there's always the next day.

i herniated my back about 10 years ago. for 3 to 4 years i had pain everyday. even more when i didn't work. there was a point that i couldn't reach and put my socks on. i even had to get slip on shoes as i couldn't bend enough to tie my laces.

eventually my body healed itself and i feel fine. still have lost some of my flexibility, but not my strength.

so don't knock yourself too hard. you can buy a lot of knockers for $600.

rick.

Robert is going throught the same thing for the last 3 days. he needs to get a bidet

Comment

I buy into Herks experience when it comes to a days pay.
                  On a job where you're there a full day you should expect what you'd make in a week working for a shop (my opinion)...you risk losing other service work while tied into that job and you cannot depend on a full 40 hour week.
                  Some days you might only see $150 for a day...others maybe $1000.

IF you're allowing yourself to be satisfied that you made in a day what would add up to six figures over a year with a FULL 40 hour week, you're missing something in the equation unless you sub from a large company that keeps your schedule full year round or have a similar gig where you may not have an ad budget either.

If thats your situation, pressuring others to follow suit would put them out of business.
                  Not getting a rate thats at least somewhat competitive is selling yourself short and lowering the bar for local shops...your brothers.

Not too many of us get the true 40 hours in...either having paperwork, code & stock research, travel time, simple slow time, ad costs and numerous small costs figured in...we MUST figure those things into the equation.

Dunbars price wasn't bad, trouble is his physical condition cuts down his time...I understand that first hand.

Dunbar, this might sound strange, but I have a friend that finally tried accupuncture in desperation for a severe back problem where his spinal chord was being constricted by an undersized vertabrae...for him it worked to at least alleviate the pain so he could walk upright.

Many ins co's cover it too.

Comment

Did 4 service calls today *sunday*

This was the last one.

Didn't take long to make the necessary changes because I wasn't in a lot of pain, the repair was simplistic.

NO MORE HEATERS

Ruined this guy's evening by telling him I found termite mud tracks behind one of those insulation joist blockers.

Not good

Comment

gentlemen, as id like to think we are,my dad always told me in the service business, everyday is a new life. [not the body] but the chance to make money,got to get it while we can. by the way nice looking job

Comment

Nice job Dunbar, clean work.

I like the water heater, I use nothing but Bradfor White, but they are upsetting me now with the new design, Low Nox eco friendly model required here for polution, by los angeles county, I need a 30" pan for a 40 gallon water heater, just becuase the door cover will not fit.

This has been a learning process, I have had to notch the covers cleanly, to make them fit. All the so cal guy's should know what I am talking about, if they have had pans and water heaters to install since the first.\

Not the jacket size, but the thermostate and cover size.

also a problem with sheds.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hey WC what is the lo nox setup look like?

Does it make a significant difference in emissions? Like the burnoff on a stove?

Comment

Working...
                          X