X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Helper

Ok my nephew was over last night and he wants to come work for me after school. Great I am thrilled to see young kids want to get into the trade. He worked for me this morning... riding along with me and he had a ball. Did little stuff today.. Looked at a remodel, fixed a leaky faucet, w/c repair. just little jobbing stuff. well he was eyeballing my tool bag so I asked him what he was doing? So he asked me "What do i need for a set of tools?" So i went online a few minutes ago and for starters came up with this list:

http://www.toolup.com/purchase.asp?q...8F%7D&x=55&y=8

HOLY CRAP i didnt realize how much a starter tool kit for the kit is going to cost for this kid!!! And it isnt even a complete set. I have decided! He is getting my current set and I am getting the new goodies!!!

Re: New Helper

Just a bag? Empty?
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

huh?
      is that all that came up with the post?

Comment

Hey if you want a bag or box for the tools let me know. I have plenty of used ones I would give him.

Make sure you give him a few new tools. When I started out I was given the crappiest tools and wrenches the shop had and I will never do that to a new apprentice. The learning curve and daily humble pie is hard enough to take.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          Ok my nephew was over last night and he wants to come work for me after school. Great I am thrilled to see young kids want to get into the trade. He worked for me this morning... riding along with me and he had a ball. Did little stuff today.. Looked at a remodel, fixed a leaky faucet, w/c repair. just little jobbing stuff. well he was eyeballing my tool bag so I asked him what he was doing? So he asked me "What do i need for a set of tools?" So i went online a few minutes ago and for starters came up with this list:

http://www.toolup.com/purchase.asp?q...8F%7D&x=55&y=8

HOLY CRAP i didnt realize how much a starter tool kit for the kit is going to cost for this kid!!! And it isnt even a complete set. I have decided! He is getting my current set and I am getting the new goodies!!!
          Shouln't cost too much to get him/you the bare necessities.Especially while he's getting his learning curve up,breaking,loosing and learning how to use them.

Excellent idea letting him use you older tools.

"Uncle Spinner,can I have a Ridgid 36" Aluminum Pipe Wrench to do gas?"

P.S. I've never had an employer supply even a $3.00 screw driver.Corded power tools and ladders were the only thing they supplied.Cordless is the responsibility of the employee.
          Last edited by drtyhands; 03-08-2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

" i need it to hook up my bbq!"

Comment

I was provided with everything from hand tools to power tools, cordless and electric. I was even discouraged from buying or having any tools on the van that were mine. Friday my 18v Dewalt sawsall died and he gave me a blank check and told me to get another one, so I did that today.

I just bought one of those Ridgid aluminum clipboards and the boss seen it and told me to turn a receipt in for payment. I'm not going to do it though, no since in nickle and diming him.
              Last edited by Tyman; 03-08-2008, 05:07 PM.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                I was provided with everything from hand tools to power tools, cordless and electric. I was even discouraged from buying or having any tools on the van that were mine. Friday my 18v Dewalt sawsall died and he gave me a blank check and told me to get another one, so I did that today.

I just bought one of those Ridgid aluminum clipboards and the boss seen it and told me to turn a receipt in for payment. I'm not going to do it though, no since in nickle and diming him.
                GOOD MAN!!!

Comment

Wrench Spinner-

He's been riding along with you for one day and your already thinking about tools for him? Wow.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm nuts about tools, but I think he would be in his interest to help you with jobs for awhile.

If you give him some tools, he's think he can handle anything by himself.

Bring him along on some 'real' plumbing jobs and you'll be surprised how many school projects all of a sudden came up.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

he has been helping me out at my house at his house and his grandparents house for years..... but primarily this is an excuse for me to get some new hand tools pliers, cutters etc... at least that is how i am justifying it to the accountant (my wife)

Comment

I`d do it keeps the women off your back that way
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X