Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharkbite fitting and ASSE #

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    http://pld.iapmo.org/ (add search keyword = SharkBite)

I am certainly not defending the use of SharkBite fittings but they are listed by IAMPO to both NSF and ASSE standards. They are also approved for for concealed and/or underground installations and the bodies are a DZR brass.

Mark

great link Mark, good to know, I still wouldn't use them my personal choice
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
      Thanks Mark. Will investigate. Starting to wish they would get rid of all methods but copper unless water ph test is submitted for something else though.
      Most of the alternative materials have been developed due to regional incompatability with existing materials. Even copper is not compatable to install in all conditions.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
        P.S. Mark, I almost forgot, I'm tired of looking at that d@*! Christmas Tree.

J.C.
        LOL-What you don't like Brenda's cat's impersonation of a Christmas Angel? I've been working out of State since January 14th so I am limited to the phots available to me. I am planning on changing it when I get home to my regular computer. which I hope is real soon

Mark

OK fine here is a temp
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-09-2008, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          great link Mark, good to know, I still wouldn't use them my personal choice
          I agree and I am not sure I would ever use one but to be honest I have seen at least 100 installed on jobs (repairs) so far without any failures. After they have been in service a while longer we may all reconsider their use.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Most of the alternative materials have been developed due to regional incompatability with existing materials. Even copper is not compatable to install in all conditions.

Mark
            EXTREMELY valid point.
            I DO acknowledge there are area's n my own state where I'd advise against copper....almost a guaranteed repipe within 20 years.

I'll say it once...forgive my sin....CPVC anyone?

It gets brittle yes, doesn't hold up well in frost conditrions...but how many class actions are there against it currently?

I gotta run...but will do a little web searching when I get back..if no one else is up to it.

Comment

So far so good with the sharkbites honestly. I have them on some of my test rigs, and caps for stubouts and i have had them up to 125 psi over and over and over again and I Havent had one leak or blow off yet. That is all i would use them for though I would NEVER install one as a PERMANANT repair. If i am going to charge $125 for a service call I am NOT going to just put a band-aid on a problem it just isnt right!

Comment

ok, back...had to dig up my Lead & Oakum kit for a CI repair in the morning.
                Did a search for the heck of it under "CPVC lawsuit" and under "CPVC failure".
                What I got were lawsuits from municiplities trying to prevent the use of CPVC...nothing on damges or CPVC failures, not in the first three web pages at least.
                Under CPVC failures I got numerous articles stating CPVC cracks wheni it's under stress, like underground bending or being stressed from structural settling. It appears that although CPVC gets brittle, it doesn't seem to fail unless there's something bending it...feel free anyone to correct me here.

Also, I stand corrected on prior statements that CPVC has been in use for 40 years, appears it's been in use for 50 in the U.S.
                Either extreme measures have been made to cover up potential class action lawsuits, it has a proven track record, or my search wasn't thorough enough.

Just to be clear, copper rules in my book...this is for the sake of comparing the lesser of two evils.

Comment

I believe (and I may be wrong) that wirsbo pex has been in service in Europe for around 40 years. I'll check into it later, but I seem to recall that in their info.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I believe (and I may be wrong) that wirsbo pex has been in service in Europe for around 40 years. I'll check into it later, but I seem to recall that in their info.
                    No need to check, you're right.
                    My only thought on that are the standards in Europe...I think we are much more likely to scrutinize small leaks or dampness in concealed locations.

Comment

Occurs to me that I may have started a thread diversion...oops...this is a "sharkbite" thread.

Comment

I suppose we could star a European sanitary standards thread.
                        sigpic

Comment

I use sharkbites all the time BUT it's only when dealing with quest. I don't believe the PB-pex coupling is a good idea as it mashes the thinner wall of the quest. A sharkbite is less invasive on the pipe.

I do agree that they should never be used in place of time tested joining methods.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Raven Products is selling sharkbite valves now
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Raven Products is selling sharkbite valves now
                              I said it above, I tested them by torquing laterally...they weeped.

Using sharkbites on a valve that regularly see's that type of twisting doesn't sit well... not with me anyway.

Comment

Spring a floodROFL

Sharkbites, tectites are great for test situations and repiping mobile homes. Besides our supply houses here, all the Home Depots around Denver sell them for DIY'ers. Speaking of repipes and failures, ever seen a house that was built with galvanized water piping then repiped with Qest pipe? I have. ROFL every time I think about it.
                                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                                X