Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharkbite fitting and ASSE #

Thanks Mark.

I did not realize they were talking about the plastic piece inside the fitting.

I guess I need to read the instructions I have used 2 in the past and keep a few on the truck for emergencies.

Okie

Comment

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I did some plumbing the other day. Lady had a leaking Qest tee pex x PB x copper. In an instance like this above ductwork in a tight crawl space I did use a sharkbite tee fitting. There I said it, now I feel much better.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I did some plumbing the other day. Lady had a leaking Qest tee pex x PB x copper. In an instance like this above ductwork in a tight crawl space I did use a sharkbite tee fitting. There I said it, now I feel much better.
        Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone but it is not legal for use on PB.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone but it is not legal for use on PB.

Mark
          I have never seen it written anywhere, but I would assume the reason it's not legal on PB is because the inner diameter of the PB is larger then the inner diameter of the PEX, so the stiffener doesn't do what it should. Am I correct on this, or is there something else I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
            I have never seen it written anywhere, but I would assume the reason it's not legal on PB is because the inner diameter of the PB is larger then the inner diameter of the PEX, so the stiffener doesn't do what it should. Am I correct on this, or is there something else I am missing?
            It's on the IAPMO listing.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              I use sharkbites all the time BUT it's only when dealing with quest. I don't believe the PB-pex coupling is a good idea as it mashes the thinner wall of the quest. A sharkbite is less invasive on the pipe.

I do agree that they should never be used in place of time tested joining methods.
              Uh oh. Gear it looks like you and I are in a big heap of trouble. I typically use a PB x PEX transition coupling, but have used the Sharkbite fittings on a few occasions. Turns out its not legal on PB. Who knew?
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Just when you think Devine Plumbing is turning a corner and being responsible for himself and his customers....

Comment

Uh oh. Gear it looks like you and I are in a big heap of trouble. I typically use a PB x PEX transition coupling, but have used the Sharkbite fittings on a few occasions. Turns out its not legal on PB. Who knew?

It's not legal on Pex-Al-Pex either. The problem is even if you install it and it doesn't leak when you first install it, if it leaks at a later date your liability insurance would not cover you as it was not designed for or approved for that installation. This likely would affect Ben more than it would you you.

Mark

Comment

PB is CTS so a SB does fit. I talked to Cash Acme and they said the reason the never pursued compabitibilty with SB and PB is they don't want to be associated with PB. If the joint fails at the connection, is it due to the PB or the SB? Cash Acme doesn't want to even that scenario to come up from what I've been told.

Like I said, I only use SB for PB which is going to fail anyway but is sometimes not within the customers financial means to do a repipe. PB seems to lose elasticity over time and crimping the band on the old pipe has caused it to tear instead of compress. I know I'm taking my chances by using an unauthorized method but I try to always do what I know is the right thing within reason even if some rules are bent.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The tube liners do not have to be removed for use with Copper or CPVC, but it can very slightly reduce the water pressure. PEX actually changes as it heats and cools, so the liner accounts for the changes in the PEX. Without the tube liners, the SharkBite fitting could leak when the water temperatures change. SharkBite has only been tested and is only warrantied for use with PEX, CPVC, and Copper.
                      Last edited by Lauren Clark; 12-31-2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X