Sharkbite fitting and ASSE #

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharkbite fitting and ASSE #

A while back i was told by a local plumbing inspector that Sharkbite fittings could not be used because they do not have a ASSE # attached or imprinted on them. I looked at one and he was right. Question is when did Sharkbite get approved and get a ASSE #? or is it only not to be used in the state of Ohio?
    ________
    Suzuki Gs500
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:39 PM.
    Mike

Re: Sharkbite fitting and ASSE #

We use them for Temporary Repair work and then replace them with something more perminant. I would be embarrased to leave one in for any length of time. they work great for testing purposes also.
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting, I am also waiting for that letter stating the 25 year warranty on the sharbites that get used multiple times....

You know, from the guy that is "Familiar with the ridgid forum"
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

if you need help to understand the written warranty, consult your attorny. this is directly from the cash acme website
        Limited Warranty
        Subject to the terms and conditions provided below, Cash Acme warrants that each Cash Acme SharkBite fitting (herein referred to as
        the “product”) will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 25 years from the date of manufacture shown on
        the product (the “Warranty Period”). For any product defect discovered within the Warranty Period and reported to Cash Acme as
        provided below, Cash Acme in its sole discretion will repair or replace the defective product without charge. This limited warranty
        extends only to the person installing the product and/or the person for whom the product was installed and is not transferable to any
        other person, business or legal entity.
        Conditions:
        This limited warranty shall apply only if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
        1. The product must be installed by a licensed professional contractor, only in potable water distribution systems and/or
        hydronic heating systems, and in strict compliance with all applicable plumbing and/or building codes and the installation
        instructions, which are provided with the product and also available at www.cashacme.com.
        2. The water pressure and temperature for the operating environment in which the product is installed shall never exceed the
        maximum pressure and temperature limits specified in the installation instructions for the product.
        3. The product must be used only with PEX, Copper or CPVC pipe/tubing certified to the following specifications and
        meeting the dimensions as specified in the applicable product standard: PEX (ASTM F876, CSA B137.5); copper (ASTM
        B 88); and CPVC (ASTM D 2846, CSA B137.6).
        4. All pipe/tubing used with the product must have a smooth surface finish free of gouges, cuts, scratches, tar, kinks, grease,
        flux, fading or discoloration, and be vertically and horizontally supported, as required by applicable plumbing and/or
        building codes.
        5. The product shall not be installed if it appears defective or damaged, whether by accident, abuse, misuse, neglect or
        otherwise.
        6. If the product is to be installed in a concealed location, the applicable local authority must have inspected the system or
        section of the system to be concealed prior to installation and confirmed the absence of any leaks.
        7. Any disinfection of the water distribution system in which the product is to be installed must be in accordance with
        applicable building code and industry standards for potable water systems.
        8. Local authorities and Cash Acme shall be consulted concerning unresolved questions or uncertainties about the product
        before installation.
        Exclusions:
        This limited warranty shall not apply if:
        1. Any alterations are made to the product by any person;
        2. The product was installed improperly or not for its intended use, or was abused or otherwise misused following
        installation;
        3. The product was installed in a hydronic system and any fluids other than water or water diluted with alcohol or glycol were
        used in that system; (Mixture should not exceed 50% glycol)
        4. The product was installed in any part of a building sewer system; or,
        5. The product defect arose out of or in any manner related to: vandalism, negligence, foreign matter in the system, peculiar
        water conditions, sabotage, acts of terrorism or any other acts or omissions by any person; earthquakes, natural disasters,
        weather-related incidents and other acts of God; or any other circumstances over which Cash Acme has no control.
        Making a Warranty Claim. Cash Acme has no liability or obligation under this limited warranty unless and until all of these
        conditions are satisfied. Any warranty claim must:
        1. Be made to Cash Acme within ten (10) days after discovery of the alleged defect or deficiency.
        2. Include the allegedly defective product, along with a short section of the tubing/pipe connected to and immediately
        adjacent to the product.
        3. Include information establishing the product was installed, used and maintained in accordance with Cash Acme Installation
        Instructions, all applicable plumbing code provisions and the terms and conditions of this limited warranty. At a minimum,
        any warranty claim shall include the following information related to the system/operating environment in which the
        product was installed/exposed: system water pressure; system water temperature; date the product was
        installed/commissioned in the system; location of installation; nature of installation; date product failed; a description of
        the product failure; and, if the product was installed in a concealed location, proof that the system or section of the system
        concealed was properly inspected or tested for leaks by the local authority before concealment.
        Limitation of Warranty. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF AND CASH ACME HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER
        WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
        FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING,
        CUSTOM OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL SUCH OTHER WARRANTIES BEING HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. THIS
        LIMITED WARRANTY SUPERSEDES ANY OTHER REPRESENTATION OR PROMISE, WHETHER WRITTEN OR ORAL,
        MADE BY ANY EMPLOYEE, AGENT OR REPRESENTATIVE OF CASH ACME.
        THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SETS FORTH ALL OBLIGATIONS OF CASH ACME CONCERNING, AND THE REMEDY
        PROVIDED HEREIN IS THE CUSTOMER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR, DEFECTS IN MATERIALS OR
        WORKMANSHIP OF PRODUCTS SUPPLIED BY CASH ACME.
        IN NO EVENT SHALL CASH ACME BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL,
        CONTINGENT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY ECONOMIC LOSS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION
        DAMAGES OR OTHER COSTS ARISING FROM LOSS OF USE, DELAY, PERSONAL INJURY, LABOR CHARGES,
        INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, NEGLIGENCE, LOST PROFITS OR REVENUE, OR ANY OTHER INJURY WHATSOEVER
        TO PERSON OR PROPERTY, IN CONNECTION WITH THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thats funny, maybe I need to refresh your memory.

The discussion was about cash acme giving a warranty on a sharkbite cap that was installed multiple times.

You said it was not a problem. Read back on the link, I am still waiting for what you said was going to happen.

A letter from someone who was quite familiar with the ridgid forum LIKE I SAID, I CALLED CASH ACME, I didn't get a straight answer.

Still waiting.
          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 03-09-2008, 12:18 AM.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

interesting that i did get a straight answer and spoke to 2 different people. maybe you should talk to the person who i listed. he was the dept head.

there is nowhere on their warranty that states the fitting can't be reused.

not to mention their only obligation is to replace the fitting.

so if you really want to get a $3.00 refund, send me all your leaking fittings and i'll give you the $3.00.

now please find any 25 year written warranty on copper soldered fittings. please post it so we can all read it and compare the warranties to what shark bite offers.

i rather doubt i'll need my attorney to translate it.

i also rather doubt you'll post it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              interesting that i did get a straight answer and spoke to 2 different people. maybe you should talk to the person who i listed. he was the dept head.

there is nowhere on their warranty that states the fitting can't be reused.

not to mention their only obligation is to replace the fitting.

so if you really want to get a $3.00 refund, send me all your leaking fittings and i'll give you the $3.00.

now please find any 25 year written warranty on copper soldered fittings. please post it so we can all read it and compare the warranties to what shark bite offers.

i rather doubt i'll need my attorney to translate it.

i also rather doubt you'll post it.

rick.
              There isn't a 25 year warranty on copper fittings. Besides we don't re-use copper fittings.

You don't push on a solder type fitting.

I was just waiting for something I was told I would recieve. Even a post would have been fine, I guess, cause obviously the guy wasn't going to put it in writting. you have a thing with attorneys, cause you keep mentioning them....you must keep one on retainer in case you spring a flood.

I guess we will agree to disagree, you choose to use them, and myself and many others choose not too. I am fine with that.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                There isn't a 25 year warranty on copper fittings. Besides we don't re-use copper fittings.

You don't push on a solder type fitting.

I was just waiting for something I was told I would receive. Even a post would have been fine, I guess, cause obviously the guy wasn't going to put it in writting. you have a thing with attorneys, cause you keep mentioning them....you must keep one on retainer in case you spring a flood.

I guess we will agree to disagree, you choose to use them, and myself and many others choose not too. I am fine with that.

amazing in the 33 years i've been plumbing, i was sued 1 time for a $120 refund and guess what. i won. it was the principal.

now you should be so lucky to be working in this trade 33 years and only go to small claims 1 time and win.

the warranty is written in black and white. please quote or highlight your reuse concern. i'll show it to joeys brother, the attorney/ and pro-tem judge. i'm sure he will understand it to the full meaning of the warranty.

if it's not written in the whats not covered section, it's covered. you don't have to be an attorney to understand basic english.

of course you'll never use a sharkbite even with the warranty, so why even continue the debate. once again send me all your leaking fittings and i'll give you the $3.00 refund.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Ok, but my question to both you guys is. Would you use one of these things for a permenant repair.? Warranty issues aside. The reason I ask is, even if they will last 25 years or so, don't you think they're kinda in the home owner quick fix, the hell with the plumber department?

Now quit fighting, kiss and make up
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Ok, but my question to both you guys is. Would you use one of these things for a permenant repair.? Warranty issues aside. The reason I ask is, even if they will last 25 years or so, don't you think they're kinda in the home owner quick fix, the hell with the plumber department?

Now quit fighting, kiss and make up

I would never use them for a premenant repair. This is my point, they are homeowner, handyman repair fitting.

There is no reason why a real plumber wouldn't be able to solder on a fitting. remember, nothing is perfect in this world, I sold 50 year warranties in writting when I used to sell trenchless, when I was employeed by a plumbing company who owned the technology, I can warranty anything I want, chances are the homeowner won't even be in the house in 25 years. This does not mean it will last 50 years.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I've tried Sharkbite fittings on baseboard heat in an area where water damage wouldn't be an issue..after filling the system I noticed they have a tendency to weep when given lateral movement.
                      I agree with Robert, I think these fittings are made to appeal to homeowners & DIY's who are afraid of soldering.

My fear is that the integrity of the seal is fully dependant on a small piece of rubber, albeit the rubber is "elastomeric"...it's still rubber.
                      Look at the lifespan of any rubber seal like a delta (though they are subjected to constant movement & friction), OR look at the life expectancy of a toilet flapper & what chlorinated water does to them over 5 or 10 years.
                      I've never tried them on potable, I doubt I will.

After having gone to Home Depot for a few copper fittings once last year & chatting with the plumbing guy about why I wouldn't use them, a fella who reeked of alcohol interrupted that conversation to brag how he makes a living using them all the time and "they're gonna get ridda those expensive plumbers with great idea's like this".
                      I asked him what license he had, he said he runs a one man handyman service with no license...as soon as I explained that I was licensed he scurried away.

That conversation put a different spin on these fittings and fittings like them.

PEX is another example...there are murmers of lawsuits across the country and many shops only use it because there is no choice in the competitive market pricing with copper.
                      I'm sure some politicians receieved pretty good campaign contributions in exchange for helping a few "harmless" decisions along. (Heck, tobacco was considered healthy for the longest time, until a few folks said some unpopular things about that industry and got public attention to the dilemma)
                      This topic can get ugly, these are only MY opinions...I'm fine with other opinions, nothings personal.
                      I could be right, I could be wrong...but I'm perfectly fine to "agree to disagree" for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                        Amen D.B. I'm close to going back to all copper with solder joints.
                        I'm with ya...you may want to avoid wasting time bidding new construction for awhile though, sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                          Noone mentioned an ASSE, ASME etc. stamp. I don't know if it's right or wrong to install them but if it is not an "approved" method, all bets are off with cash acme and your insurance as well as theirs.

very true, but hey, they will give you a refund of the part....what $3.00

that should cover it all....right.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            I'm with ya...you may want to avoid wasting time bidding new construction for awhile though, sad but true.

well said D.B. on all your post regarding this subject

I was told on friday that copper is on the rise again,this will be what the third time year??

sad, but it will all correct itself within time. we all just need to hang tough, stay true to the trade and all things will work through.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

http://pld.iapmo.org/ (add search keyword = SharkBite)

I am certainly not defending the use of SharkBite fittings but they are listed by IAMPO to both NSF and ASSE standards. They are also approved for for concealed and/or underground installations and the bodies are a DZR brass.

Mark
                              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-09-2008, 12:59 PM.
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X