X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Etiquette

Something I just wrote on another thread makes for a good discussion.

In the years I have as a plumber, I've had the uncomfortable firsthand experience of being a sounding board for women who have been treated unfairly by those in my profession, toting the chauvinist attitude that they don't know plumbing or pushing the discussion towards the hubby.

In speaking for myself only, the majority of people that call me are women, not men when it comes to plumbing. They talk to others more than the male counterpart goes and I assume that whatever I'm saying, it's going to be pipelined straight to the husband as a interpretation.

The more precise, the more thorough you can be in relaying plumbing knowledge regarding their situation, the better that back at yourself.

Never agree with someone when they say "I'm dumb when it comes to plumbing". I hear it a lot and I just reference that I'd never work on my computer, some things you just have to hire out to take care of issues at the home.

I know quite a few plumbers in my community that have a reputation of being very..........obnoxious when a female questions their reasoning/justification for doing a task or a question with some depth, asking why a certain thing is being done.

Women like to watch while you work too. They'll shy away initially and comment aloud but I always tell them that if I had a problem with it that I'd have a hell of a time in my line of business. People want to learn while watching and I'll throw a bunch of knowledge their way as I'm sure they'll only retain a fraction of it. Dropping hints to save money in the lines of plumbing removes a selfish connotation that I'm here to gouge you as much as I can.

Being personable will get you very far in dealing with effective communication skills between people you just meet. A fellow I installed a Kohler Forte KS faucet also wanted me to install a RO system but he didn't want a spout at the kitchen sink, just take care of the fridge only............WTH???

I explained to him that the unit needed to have a spout, which came with it because it needs to be flushed initially and then during routine maintenance. After 20 minutes of asking and answering questions, he was frustrated but I explained to him to go to my website, see how they are done.

40 minutes later I had his faucet installed and his research on the computer revealed what I told him initially. I assured him that without a doubt, I can install his RO system but I will not install it incorrectly to meet his needs. The honesty and forward talking had him calling me to reschedule a time to put it in this coming week.

Older widowed or single women refer me the most to friends and family, neighbors. Married women come in a strong second and third would be older retired men, down to married men.

Guys my age......eh, doesn't seem to work out to well. I don't know why and it seems like it's a competitive thing in my age bracket. I guess it's the hourly wage that gives some type of motive to their thinking.

Only personal gripe I have with women are the ones who either cry once I'm there talking about their plumbing problems or the ones who cry while I'm on the phone discussing their plumbing problems.

I take offense to this as plumbing problems shouldn't be such an emotional disturbance. IMO I usually call it a ploy to ask for sympathy to look for a cheaper price. You'll see that as fast as they cry, they can flip like a lightswitch and become angry real quick. I only wish I could pre-qualify this type before EVER showing up. Getting that service charge fee from them.......they act like you stole from them. BS! They knew the ropes before I showed up in the truck....it's just a game to get the bottom dollar.

Having someone try to tell you "Well, it started working before you got here" and expect me to show up with no pay? Oh no....you called the plumber you're paying for my time getting my equipment/truck ready. I can be nice till the cows come home.....but don't expect a freebee from the plumber to not charge when they've taken their time to visit, as asked.

I'm done for now, someone else I'm sure is willing to give their two cents worth...
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Job Etiquette

You're not really asking us to figure out how a womans mind works are you.? I doubt there's enough bandwidth on this site to handle that question.
    sigpic

Comment

Duckbutter once replied to a complaint of mine about the arrogance of plumbers. D.B. helped me understand that plumbers have "been there and done that". Having the school of hard knocks molds a man, and unfortunately when the mold is set it is difficult to reshape.

I only have one rule when dealing with women customers. Look them in the eyes and not in the breast.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I treat female clients the same way I would treat any female. Maybe I'm old fashion but I believe they deserve our respect and protection whether they ask/deserve it or not.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

A true professional treats all customers the same regardless of gender.......etc. Anyone that doesn't is.... unprofessional or at the very least not too smart.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would say that about 90% customers a women, I treat them all the same.

you have to explain the plumbing thing to men and women, this is why they aren't doing the job themselves.

men tend to take more interest in it, but the women care so they can explain to their husbands why the bill totalled what it did.

to me they are a ll equals and need to be treated that way.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have found over the years that most women handle the check book, so treating the well is never a bad idea.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                Duckbutter once replied to a complaint of mine about the arrogance of plumbers. D.B. helped me understand that plumbers have "been there and done that". Having the school of hard knocks molds a man, and unfortunately when the mold is set it is difficult to reshape.

I only have one rule when dealing with women customers. Look them in the eyes and not in the breast.
                I've been calling it the "groundhag day effect", like that movie with Bill Murray where he wakes up each morning and gets to relive the same mistakes over and over....
                Gets frustrating, especially when we get the same adverse reactions over and over about being expensive, regardless how low we may have priced the work...many customers automatically assume a defensive stance for the sake thereof based on assumption.

The trick is to NOT allow that to effect the way we treat customers overall...admittedly it gets to me on occasion.

Dunbar made a comment about when woman state they might not be too bright when it comes to plumbing...
                My trick is to chuckle, then pick a career or topic I'm not exactly bright in either..."Thats ok, I doubt you'd want me adding lines to your incoming eletrical service, or framing out an addition on your home either.".
                It's a light hearted way of illuminating that each specialty deserves it's respect and allowing humor to not become insult.

Comment

I actually am one of those plumbers who actually enjoys explaining things to people. Such as how a thermal expansion tank works. Not only does it help me get the sale, but it makes my customers very comfortable. Especially women love to be explained things and have their intelligence respected when it comes to this stuff. The service busniess is all about earning TRUST.
                  Most of my customers like my upfront, communicative attitude and give me referrals.
                  I don't get along with people who try to tell me HOW to do my job or argue about workmanship, codes or price. (usually men)
                  As Dunbar said, I don't seem to have many young men customers, as in general they don't like paying another strange young man for help, as I guess it makes them feel inadequate or something.
                  There are exceptions, I have one young male customer that has given me a lot of business, but he is one of those who was spoiled by mom and doesn't like to get his hands dirty. He would rather just write a check. I explain things to him in detail as I do all my customers and have earned his respect and trust.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                    Look them in the eyes and not in the breast.

I love that idea totally, and I have great difficulty when they wear attire that is more than revealing.

There are just some things that they have to do on their side of the fence because seriously, it ****'s me up really bad and it's very difficult to work like that.

One lady I worked for was wearing a very revealing yellow tanktop, every time she bent over discussing the RO system.....I was right there getting a free show.

I think she glanced down and realized how much cleavage she was showing off, knowing I was quite ....uh...uhm...silent, and she switched shirts the next time she walked through the house.

Thank you. Don't need that frustration on the jobsite. I love it, but it's the wrong place and time.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Maybe she wants you to look at her breasts.?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        HA! ...
                        I have to admit, I've had a few that way.
                        Gets a little uncomfy when you're trying to get the job done and move on, you don't want to insult, but you don't want to give the wrong impression either....

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Now that's a HUGE plus to being service.Air conditioning,perfume,pretty women.

Mostly hairy backs,beer bellies and B.O. in the sticks.

Comment

I guess it happens to all of us at one time or another. I had an apartment manager who was also a LAPD officer and I believe took pride in her quest of married men. Her job with the LAPD was a sting for prostitution so it gives you an idea of her looks. One day she asked me to apply lotion on her sunburn and before I knew it she was in a bikini with all of the blinds drawn. I quickly called for my helper and made sure he was working in her unit while I helped her out with her lotion.

Another customer I had was a divorced mother of two who lived with her mother. When I would come over she would always wear a pheasant blouse with just a pair on panties underneath and excuse her looks as she had just got in from a long flight (stewardess). It was bad enough that she felt comfortable dress in that manner in front of me but if I told he I needed to replace a piece of pipe in the attic she would ask me to hold the ladder while she looked for herself. I recall working on her laundry sink once when all of a sudden she was standing above me straddling my body and I could see all the way up her blouse to he chin. She never asked for any discounts and I often wondered if she was just that naïve. Either way I tried to never go by unless her mom was there.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

That sexy-flirty stuff never happens to me on jobs. I am partly glad and partly jealous! I guess it would be quite uncomfortable though.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X