X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    started a topic Job Etiquette

Job Etiquette

Something I just wrote on another thread makes for a good discussion.

In the years I have as a plumber, I've had the uncomfortable firsthand experience of being a sounding board for women who have been treated unfairly by those in my profession, toting the chauvinist attitude that they don't know plumbing or pushing the discussion towards the hubby.

In speaking for myself only, the majority of people that call me are women, not men when it comes to plumbing. They talk to others more than the male counterpart goes and I assume that whatever I'm saying, it's going to be pipelined straight to the husband as a interpretation.

The more precise, the more thorough you can be in relaying plumbing knowledge regarding their situation, the better that back at yourself.

Never agree with someone when they say "I'm dumb when it comes to plumbing". I hear it a lot and I just reference that I'd never work on my computer, some things you just have to hire out to take care of issues at the home.

I know quite a few plumbers in my community that have a reputation of being very..........obnoxious when a female questions their reasoning/justification for doing a task or a question with some depth, asking why a certain thing is being done.

Women like to watch while you work too. They'll shy away initially and comment aloud but I always tell them that if I had a problem with it that I'd have a hell of a time in my line of business. People want to learn while watching and I'll throw a bunch of knowledge their way as I'm sure they'll only retain a fraction of it. Dropping hints to save money in the lines of plumbing removes a selfish connotation that I'm here to gouge you as much as I can.

Being personable will get you very far in dealing with effective communication skills between people you just meet. A fellow I installed a Kohler Forte KS faucet also wanted me to install a RO system but he didn't want a spout at the kitchen sink, just take care of the fridge only............WTH???

I explained to him that the unit needed to have a spout, which came with it because it needs to be flushed initially and then during routine maintenance. After 20 minutes of asking and answering questions, he was frustrated but I explained to him to go to my website, see how they are done.

40 minutes later I had his faucet installed and his research on the computer revealed what I told him initially. I assured him that without a doubt, I can install his RO system but I will not install it incorrectly to meet his needs. The honesty and forward talking had him calling me to reschedule a time to put it in this coming week.

Older widowed or single women refer me the most to friends and family, neighbors. Married women come in a strong second and third would be older retired men, down to married men.

Guys my age......eh, doesn't seem to work out to well. I don't know why and it seems like it's a competitive thing in my age bracket. I guess it's the hourly wage that gives some type of motive to their thinking.

Only personal gripe I have with women are the ones who either cry once I'm there talking about their plumbing problems or the ones who cry while I'm on the phone discussing their plumbing problems.

I take offense to this as plumbing problems shouldn't be such an emotional disturbance. IMO I usually call it a ploy to ask for sympathy to look for a cheaper price. You'll see that as fast as they cry, they can flip like a lightswitch and become angry real quick. I only wish I could pre-qualify this type before EVER showing up. Getting that service charge fee from them.......they act like you stole from them. BS! They knew the ropes before I showed up in the truck....it's just a game to get the bottom dollar.

Having someone try to tell you "Well, it started working before you got here" and expect me to show up with no pay? Oh no....you called the plumber you're paying for my time getting my equipment/truck ready. I can be nice till the cows come home.....but don't expect a freebee from the plumber to not charge when they've taken their time to visit, as asked.

I'm done for now, someone else I'm sure is willing to give their two cents worth...

• Herk
    replied
    Re: Job Etiquette

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
    I did do a remodel at Joni Mitchell's home in Bel Aire during the 80's
    Now I'm jealous. Everything I ever wanted to know about life I learned from Joni Mitchell. And that was just the music . . .

Leave a comment:

• gear junkie
    replied

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    No but I did do a remodel at Joni Mitchell's home
    Mark
    Joni Mitchell was so hot. Voice wasn't half bad either.

Leave a comment:

• ToUtahNow
    replied

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
    Have none of you ever had to pull a call at a nudist camp?
    No but I did do a remodel at Joni Mitchell's home in Bel Aire during the 80's. That was about as much a nudist camp as you could get.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• mtnman1100
    replied

Have none of you ever had to pull a call at a nudist camp? They are all over California. I had to go to one around memorial day weekend one year, when it was busy. Those people are not ashamed of being naked and are not ashamed of looking natural. And I mean natural, no trimming or circumyouknowwhating. Some place you pull calls at you could just stay there all day or week long at but a nude camp is not one of those. I guess there could be a pretty peoples nude camp. I just haven't been to one yet.

Leave a comment:

• DuckButter
    replied

Topic: "Job Etiquette"
    Bah, sure...we're good.
    I hate to say it, but I'm the better cook too...she's ok with more common things, but I get into the "kick it up a notch" roasts, spiced oriental or italian stuff.

Leave a comment:

• gear junkie
    replied

She hates pecan pie. She can throw down a good table. I'm the better cook in the family.

Leave a comment:

• DuckButter
    replied

One day I'm sure we'll all meet, be it that she's from Georgia...please, please, please tell me she makes home made pecan pie.
    I'll do whatever ya want....just feed me the pie.

Leave a comment:

• DuckButter
    replied

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    LOL your wife is a strong, black woman from Georgia?! Wait till we meet and ask her the story of our relationship.
    Apparently we both missed the fact that she's a master of disguise as well.
    The plot thickens.

Leave a comment:

• gear junkie
    replied

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    LMAO....BIG TIME!
    Buddy, I think she's two-timing ya...we're married to the same gal!
    LOL your wife is a strong, black woman from Georgia?! Wait till we meet and ask her the story of our relationship.

Leave a comment:

• DuckButter
    replied

LOL-I'm sure looks had little to do with it or it would have never happened. You need to remember it is the male who is atttacted by physical attributes while the female is looking for security.

Mark
    Science says thats true, I noticed something though.
    Seems like a majority of younger gals fall for the looks or attitude at least once early in life...then seem to seek stability later.
    I'm the worst of both worlds.

Leave a comment:

• DuckButter
    replied

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
    I love it when women flirt with me on the job. I consider it a compliment and company benefit. It's hard to be sexy pulling a toilet.
    When yer a big stud muffin like I am, it gets tedious after a while.
    Also, I'm the pope.

Leave a comment:

• DuckButter
    replied

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    That's where your theory is flawed mark. I'm nothing but security at 6'3" 260lbs. My wife only married me cause she was bored.
    LMAO....BIG TIME!
    Buddy, I think she's two-timing ya...we're married to the same gal!

Leave a comment:

• Tyman
    replied

I love it when women flirt with me on the job. I consider it a compliment and company benefit. It's hard to be sexy pulling a toilet.

Leave a comment:

• gear junkie
    replied

LOL-I'm sure looks had little to do with it or it would have never happened. You need to remember it is the male who is atttacted by physical attributes while the female is looking for security.

Mark
    That's where your theory is flawed mark. I'm nothing but security at 6'3" 260lbs. My wife only married me cause she was bored.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X