X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In CA - Finally got my license!

Now looking for liability insurance. With the 100's of insurance companies sending me their propaganda, what should I really be looking for? Hoping you seasoned vet's could give me some insight. Sole proprietor doing mostly repair & drains.

Re: In CA - Finally got my license!

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    Now looking for liability insurance. With the 100's of insurance companies sending me their propaganda, what should I really be looking for? Hoping you seasoned vet's could give me some insight. Sole proprietor doing mostly repair & drains.

Hunter Insurance, ask for Cara, tell her robert from west coast plumbing sent you

the link http://www.hunteronline.com/
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 03-09-2008, 10:39 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Look for a BROOK ins co. cant beat the price I`m even covered with my backhoe and my pumper truck. Less then a cool $1000.00 year.
      I`m covered for 600,000.00
      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-09-2008, 10:39 PM.
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

very good jeff.

you'll find a lot of junk mail coming to your stated address on your license.

what you need to shop for is a company that has a broker that will explain all the fine print to you.

there are so many exclusions for plumbers in the california market that can exclude you from proper coverage.

typically you need a minimum of 1 million in liability to work in condo buildings. also if you plan on doing any association work, you need to have that coverage too. i'm not even talking new work, just service and repair.

make sure you're covered for digging a certain depth, and working in buildings higher than 3 stories. believe it or not, there are exclusions for this too.

also see if they cover you for 10 years down the road or just the current year.

insurance is something you don't want to have to use, but it's nice to know if you need it, they will cover you.

your rates will go down as your years being insured go up.

find a good broker that will explain all the fine print as there is plenty of it you'll never understand.

cheap insurance is not typically the best call. compare all your quotes.

when it comes time to renew, start shopping 60 days out as it's not like car insurance and nothing is as simple as it sounds.

wish you luck with your new business, wish you even more luck finding the proper insurance co that can help you out.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

you'll find a lot of junk mail coming to your stated address

This is the main reason when I went to the pumper show that I purposely gave a false company name along with false address.

Signing that document was going to be a selling of my address/phone number/email address to who knows how many different companies.

I'd be getting everything from porta-johns to backhoe equipment circulars, "other" brands from companies that serve me no purpose in the drain cleaning side of my business.

Any of you already in business for a number of years understand how much waste of paper goes into the garbage can from people soliciting you to spend money.

At one time it was out of control when I first started. Now I'm down to just random stuff and the credit card offers. I'd kill to have the advertising budget that some of these companies that send me stuff for just one year.

Does California have journeyman or Master's in the plumbing field? And if they don't, is the classification/certification equal to that of a M/J's ?

In Ohio they have a Contractor's License; everybody and their brother can be a plumber as long as you spend $300 for a book which is used in an open book test and 10 hours of continuing education.

A insult to the plumbing profession given at one time the license of being a journeyman, master in Ohio had a valid meaning. I was robbed, short of 3 months of being able to get my master's in Ohio. They switched to that C.L. which devalued the trade seriously.

You shouldn't be able to buy a license to do plumbing, ever.

I'll openly admit that I moonlight across the river; I refuse to play by those rules that a hack can have as much right to plumb a house as much as I do, without any prior training or knowledge background in the field.

You pay to get bonded and that's the free meal ticket. If anyone is from Ohio on this board as a plumber, please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a valid Ohio Journeyman's license that is useless to me at this point, though I still refuse to give it up and not renew. I'll never be able to test out for my masters in ohio ever again.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-10-2008, 02:37 AM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks!

You folks are the greatest!

Comment

Working...
              X