Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIDGID Roundup Events 2 - the smack free thread

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    HAHA! My old plumber friend said that many times he has come home and stripped down to his underwear before his wife would even let him in the house!
    Yes i had to do this many times myself, sometimes with a water hose rinse before
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      The drain cleaning should include speed (Sorry Dunbar)

If you mean speed from the moment the cable enters the drain to the time it is open, I'm game.

If you're talking from truck to drain, drain back to truck, I'm out. Not unless I can back my truck right up to this mock test.

If I was to rush in and out of a house the fastest time possible and charge a set fee, that customer is going to be pissed that I made that much money in that short of a time, with the customer wandering "why the rush" and "did he do a thorough job"

I'm trying to bring a real life scenario to the event. Being accurate in removing a clog, doing it with the least amount of effort.

Something tells me I'm coming to this event to watch, not play....not healthy enough.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
        I have to do that everynight
        Um...Greg...he means she wants the dirty clothes off, not clothes off to get dirty..
        AND...to keep on topic per Joshes "smack free" request...
        I'd mentioned possibly a dry fit contest because I could only imagine the mess of a bunch or cemented PVC or ABS to get rid of after.

Seems like maybe a soldering/offset contest would be a smarter idea.

I doubt the suggestion will get much attention...%^*% drain cleaners!

Comment

so we're still talking mostly drain cleaning.? In my neck of the woods you don't even have to be licenced to do that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            so we're still talking mostly drain cleaning.? In my neck of the woods you don't even have to be licenced to do that.

Careful there...I mentioned that long ago and apparently it's a big deal to the west coasters.
            Seems like traditionally drain cleaning is a BIG part of being a licensed plumber there.

Comment

I think there is a drain cleaning theme because this whole thing started out as a drain cleaning debate. I agree it should be expanded but soldering pipes has little to do with Ridgid. Then again perhaps a contest between traditional soldering versus ProPress would be entertaining.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Careful there...I mentioned that long ago and apparently it's a big deal to the west coasters.
                Seems like traditionally drain cleaning is a BIG part of being a licensed plumber there.
                I was just trying to stir the pot up again. Truthfully though, there's probably 8 - 12 drain cleaning companies in the area and non that I know of have or hire licensed plumbers. That said, my company does very very little drain cleaning. We refer that work to the other companies. And since they don't plumb, they refer their customers to us. typically if they rod out a drain and punch through the pipe or fitting, we get a call. So it all works out just fine. Now if we could just get the filter and pump installers to stop messing with our pipes we'd be golden.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Now if we could just get the filter and pump installers to stop messing with our pipes we'd be golden.
                  Heck, the board here is pulling HVAC guys away from gas/venting...so many slip under the radar and do the work unlicensed...I'v even heard rumor they might try to incorporate it into plumbing licensing to clean the slate...doubt that'll happen any time soon.

Back on topic (NO "smack" thread!!), I guess Mark has a wee point there...Ridgid really doesn't have much to do with soldering...another well thought out post on me.
                  What about steel pipe threading/offsets...something like that?

Comment

Now you're talking. Picture a 10' piece of 6" gal pipe, a 161 threader with ratchet and handle, pipe stand, tripod vise and a bucket oiler in the back of a pickup truck. The plumber who can get the pipe out of the truck, threaded and everything back on the truck the fastest wins.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Heck, the board here is pulling HVAC guys away from gas/venting...so many slip under the radar and do the work unlicensed...I'v even heard rumor they might try to incorporate it into plumbing licensing to clean the slate...doubt that'll happen any time soon.

Back on topic (NO "smack" thread!!), I guess Mark has a wee point there...Ridgid really doesn't have much to do with soldering...another well thought out post on me.
                      Duck that's actualy feasable.Combine it with Ben's maze and I think you guy's got something.
                      The maze could incorperate BTU's at fixture points and chart for sizing to test mind with muscle.
                      After it's complete you can pull it apart and reuse,unlike our precious copper.

No test on reused ftgs

Comment

hay rick the tug of war between the east and west

you may want to re think this ,we have some big boys over here
                        me ,Greg , and Ben
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Now you're talking. Picture a 10' piece of 6" gal pipe, a 161 threader with ratchet and handle, pipe stand, tripod vise and a bucket oiler in the back of a pickup truck. The plumber who can get the pipe out of the truck, threaded and everything back on the truck the fastest wins.

Mark
                          I've worked with the 141 & shaft off a 300 on commercial gas...BRACE THAT BAD LARRY!
                          Here we go to welders once it's 4".
                          I'd be ALL up for it...WOOHOOO!!!

Comment

Brings up a good point on the BIG threader...you'd need a solid ceiling, right off the truck ain't happenin'.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              hay rick the tug of war between the east and west

you may want to re think this ,we have some big boys over here
                              me ,Greg , and Ben
                              220 here, I could leg press 600+ when I was 17.

Comment

What's going on with ORANGE tools.

Mark said something about Ridgids tools being a part of the comp.

Aren't Woods going to show up?

If they are,slap a couple of Ridgid stickers on some framing hammers an lets pound some sixteens.

GARAGER,MARK???

Eye protection and waivers of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X