Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIDGID Roundup Events 2 - the smack free thread

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    220 here, I could leg press 600+ when I was 17.
    BUCK AND A HALF WET HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      220 here, I could leg press 600+ when I was 17.
      but your not 17

and i'm 280 and 6'4" tall
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Well let's see. Gettin it off, easy. Back up, set the brakes. Getting it back on, I'll have to thinks on that

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          but your not 17

and i'm 280 and 6'4" tall
          I'm 29 6'3" 250 and did working reps on leg press at 720lbs last week. Westcoast doesn't have a chance on tug of war. I call Dunbar as anchorman.

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          If you mean speed from the moment the cable enters the drain to the time it is open, I'm game.

If you're talking from truck to drain, drain back to truck, I'm out. Not unless I can back my truck right up to this mock test.

If I was to rush in and out of a house the fastest time possible and charge a set fee, that customer is going to be pissed that I made that much money in that short of a time, with the customer wandering "why the rush" and "did he do a thorough job"

I'm trying to bring a real life scenario to the event. Being accurate in removing a clog, doing it with the least amount of effort.

Something tells me I'm coming to this event to watch, not play....not healthy enough.
          I agree with Dunbar 100%. The goal of draincleaning is not who can run faster to the CO. If this was the case, I would win. Plumbing prowess is not determined by how much time is spent in the gym. Since some have a speed fetish, how about a relay carrying an 8" flanged gate valve?

I love the soldering ideas. Perhaps a point system for speed, cleanliness and apperance? The offset ideas are great too.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I think the relay with a 8" flanged gate valve is a good idea, I know who has one here off an old backflow

I am 180lbs, 6'3" stronger then I look so don't judge the book by it's cover
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Im game for Tug of war

Charlie, Ben, Mark, and I Hmmmm

Well at least the West Coasters have Rob
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                Come on Duck! Then you will get a taste of what it is like for us wives when you boys come home and sit on the clean furniture for a chat
                For me it's my hands that are worst.
                The doorknob is about the only thing I touch before the sink, with gojo or fast orange sitting right there.
                She makes fun of me when I work with copper, green hands.

You have a say on the "freshen up" time ONLY if you go.

Comment

Laughin' like an idiot here at the posts...thinking of poor Josh slapping his head as he recites to himself, "NO SMACK!"

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I think there is a drain cleaning theme because this whole thing started out as a drain cleaning debate. I agree it should be expanded but soldering pipes has little to do with Ridgid. Then again perhaps a contest between traditional soldering versus ProPress would be entertaining.

Mark
                    actually it would be very interesting as there are only a few of us at each supply house who buy the fittings. this would be a slaughter as i doubt anyone can clean flux and solder in 5 seconds. all i need is a tape, cutter, sharpie, and a triger finger

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                    hay rick the tug of war between the east and west

you may want to re think this ,we have some big boys over here
                    me ,Greg , and Ben
                    yes you have size, but we have numbers and drive. plus i know how to tie a good knot to the flag pole

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    BUCK AND A HALF WET HERE.
                    adam you beat me to the punch. actually they might be laughing so much that we will take em when they start gasping for air.

remember the west coast will be bringing the wives and you don't want to pick on the girls

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

i do like the other competitions too. just not sure if there is time for each person to compete in each competition.

i think since it's a ridgid tool competition, we need to keep it focused on the tool aspect and not necessarily the plumbing skills, such as piping a model bathroom.

actually the propress vrs. soldering is a great way to introduce you to the tool. it would be no contest as far as speed, so maybe just for kicks to show you the workings of the propress. now add water to the line that won't stop running and the propress is the super champ.

but if there is a person that wants to race, i'll give you a 50% head start.
                      basically you do 5 joints and i'll (propress) do 10. sort of like bracket racing.
                      remember the smaller the pipe the faster the soldering. so 3/4'' is an advantage to you. bigger is a hugh advantage to me. bring on the 4''
                      no one likes the toilet seat toss or cast iron cutting contest

maybe the ridgid staff can surprise us and come up with the mother of all contest

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

but if there is a person that wants to race, i'll give you a 50% head start.
                        basically you do 5 joints and i'll (propress) do 10. sort of like bracket racing.
                        remember the smaller the pipe the faster the soldering. so 3/4'' is an advantage to you. bigger is a hugh advantage to me. bring on the 4''
                        no one likes the toilet seat toss or cast iron cutting contest

Will keeping the pipe in a straight line be part of the judging?
                        sigpic

Comment

The cast Iron cutting is another good one for plumber's competition.

Comment

I cut just about every day installing CO`s I`m good at it too How bout some Clay as well with out cracking it
                            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM.
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

CI cutting would be a great idea, but after taking advice from Dunbar I got a diamond blade....speed shouldn't be the contest.

IF it's CI cutting, the contest should be over neatness & straightness of the cut WITH a Ridgid ratchet cutter over 2 or 3 cuts.

If speed were the only factor in the contest, we'd have some pretty ugly cuts that were done pretty fast.

Comment

i'm not sure how to judge the speed of the cuts vrs. the squareness and proper length.

i guess we could use as much time as necessary and then compare. if 2 are good, the fastest one wins?

to keep it simple and cheap. we are handed a precut (abrasive sawed) 12'' plus or minus a little. piece of 2'' no hub.

we have to measure the piece, find the center and cut / snap it in half.

the end results would be to have 2 identical pieces that are standing on edge and a level or square are placed on top of the 2 pieces. since the factory cut was already square. the snapped end are placed down and the clean edge would be measured for identical length and standing square.

i guess a lot has to do with the way the pipe snaps, but there are ways to snap and keep it clean.
                                ridgid makes 3 styles of snap cutters. the standard scissor, the large ratchet and the newer smaller ratchet cutters.
                                do you go for speed and sacrifice accuracy or accuracy for speed

remember the contest has to be fairly simple and not too involved. so 1 cut should keep it simple, fast and inexpensive for material.

sounds good? is there a better way? yes or no?

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X