X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID Roundup Events 2 - the smack free thread

The other thread became completely irrelevant. Lets reserve this one for actual ideas about Roundup events. I think the lines have been set between the sectionals and drums. Lets start the trash talking up when you guys get here or at least keep it in other threads.

Ok... lets here some good ideas in here. Keep em safe and fair.

Josh

Re: RIDGID Roundup Events 2 - the smack free thread

Have 70' of 4" PVC making 9 turns of direction, the last two being vertical drops of about 6' or more.

The section before the two verticals run backwards at a 20 degree slope.

9' of solid packed toilet paper and bean paste encased in sausage casings.

The mixture is presoaked to be realistic,

Water backing up to the beginning to the clog, surfacing at the opening point of access.

One floor drain turnout 13' feet in.

A true 2 by 4 cut and drove into the pipe blocking 2/3rd's access to get to the toilet paper clog.

Are blow-up sacks allowed to be used with this procedure, along with access to a water source?

Water "should" be part of this equation since it is readily used/needed for the proper cleaning of a drain.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-10-2008, 11:19 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i guess you didn't see that there's only a 3 hour window for all the fun.

defiantly have got to have the toilet seat "frisbee" throwing contest.

an open front seat less cover will fly. we can also play horse shoes with it using a plunger as the post thanks jojo

the pipe cutting and threading contest all by hand. no power. just like the old lumberjack days.

cutting of cast iron into equal 6'' lengths, square and equal length and fastest time.

wrenching and un-wrenching a large diameter fitting.

and last but not least is the sectional vrs. drum contest. hitting a different size drain on each floor and roof of a building using only 1 machine of choice with unlimited cables and cutters. no elevators and no help. this has always been the challenge since day 1.

i rather doubt that they can stage an actual stoppage in each drain. but a timed event and using a cutter that is no smaller than 1 size under the actual opening. just like the ridgid manual suggest.

of course we can have the cutting the board contest with a staged pipe.

then we can have a real pin the tail on the donkey contest with a seesnake and receiver. closest one to the actual location and depth in the shortest time period. of course this would have to be done with others not watching. sort of like being in the green room or in this case the red room.

realize not all the guys are here for just drain cleaning or locating so please post some non sewer type events.

of course we need to have the east coast vrs. west coast tug of war over the mud hole. and a water balloon toss or fight.

don't forget the ridgid calendar girls as the cheerleaders

5 screws into a 2x4 the fastest with cordless gun.

rick.

p.s. joey wants an autograph session with smorris (steve morris) and her 1210 oiless threader she loves

i'll take mine with the k-60 girl
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm betting, 13 minutes to finally chew past the 2X4, change attachments and go after the packed toilet paper clog, resembling a belly in the pipe when I mentioned the 20 degree backwards slope.

The 2 vertical drops would resemble a top down connection into the main sewer.....a cleanout at the turn of direction but it's a directional tee back towards the clog.

If any of this is a timed event, I'm out of the running as I'm not going to risk injury, unless I become a 1% owner of RIDGID for my efforts. Gotta consider the disabled too ya know. Give it time and these machines will cripple us all.

I don't mind though, I'll come to watch just to meet everyone.

And if it is a timed event? I could still drag my machine off my truck and show you how a guy with a torn rotator cuff opened drains for nearly 3 months without any good use of one of my hands. I don't have to win to do what I've stated. I was replacing lav faucets 1 handed as well, replacing water heaters holding my one hand up to hold the wrench to pull and tighten the dielectrics. Looked ridiculous but I have the bank deposits to prove I kept producing income with a bad injury.
        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-11-2008, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Dunbar, ya can't put the last 2 turns as vertical drops. Ya gots ta go horizontal between them to get a second drop!!!! Unless you're talkin 45s which aint no challenge.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

In navy trade school, we had a simple maze and we had to fit 1/2 copper in the maze. The thing was we couldn't piece it together. We had to measure everything and place the copper thingamajig(official term) in the maze to see if it would fit. Going off memory, it took us about 3 hours but that was for apprentices. I hope we could do this faster. This is a great test of fitting allowances and measurements.

I copied and pasted this from the other thread.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If this takes longer than 3 hrs then we could always cut into the freshen up time

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                If this takes longer than 3 hrs then we could always cut into the freshen up time

dunbar needs more time to freshen up

rick.

ben i like your maze, but it's more of an apprentice test. what would be a better challenge for the grown ups would to eliminate the fittings and have to bend all the turns with a ridgid bender. you would need to know all the take offs for bends and back to backs. 3/8'' or 1/2'' soft will work.

i got dibs on the scrap when finished. i called it first

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  No, really...after lugging machines up 'n down flights of stairs and racing to and from, I think the freshen up time is a pretty good idea, really.

Comment

Relevant question, so far the whole thing revolves around drain cleaning.
                    Why not a soldering contest?...or DWV dry fitting several fixtures, maybe even a small bath group.
                    Something more suitable for general plumbing?

I doubt it'll happen, but heck...I'm a cheerleader at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      No, really...after lugging machines up 'n down flights of stairs and racing to and from, I think the freshen up time is a pretty good idea, really.
                      Come on Duck! Then you will get a taste of what it is like for us wives when you boys come home and sit on the clean furniture for a chat
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        Come on Duck! Then you will get a taste of what it is like for us wives when you boys come home and sit on the clean furniture for a chat
                        HAHA! My old plumber friend said that many times he has come home and stripped down to his underwear before his wife would even let him in the house!
                        Last edited by Service Guy; 03-11-2008, 12:42 PM.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          HAHA! My old plumber friend said that many times he has come home and stripped down to his underwear before his wife would even let him in the house!

I have to do that everynight
                          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                            Dunbar, ya can't put the last 2 turns as vertical drops. Ya gots ta go horizontal between them to get a second drop!!!! Unless you're talkin 45s which aint no challenge.

Ahh, close!

I was thinking 90-street 90 that works like a swing joint. Makes it difficult for certain attachments to maneuver, creates a tension point back on the cable to the user.

I added that last part of the equation because I know for a fact that even though you clear the 20 degree backsloping pipe, you'll still have to take the cable out to clear that last point where we know the buildup will hang up before it clears. 90's are permissable underground when vertical, not horizontal. Seen this in new and old construction.

And I'm already sensing hesitancy from rick on this, giving the time constraints. Josh just came in and erased that issue.

I'm up for challenge, why not make it hard as hell. We've been on these types of scenarios and you either let it go to another plumber or you keep working at it till you get it open.

Setting up 3 exact scenarios is very cheap, especially if I myself am willing to cover the cost of the piping, toilet paper and bean paste.

Party on Wayne~!

Comment

The drain cleaning should include speed (Sorry Dunbar) and how well the line has been cleared. (Impartial Judges) Wouldn't be sweet if some clear PVC could be used?!That would bring some drama.

Camera and line location. Speed and accuracy. You need to make it difficult but possible to get the camera through. Maybe a message they have to read at the end of the run before they can move on to the next thing in the timed event.

Rick pretty much summed up my ideas and more. That may be all you need being the amount of competitors and the time window.

I do like the idea of dry fitting a small bathroom. (Like the apprentice competition) DWV and water. You could show off the Ridgid recip saw, drills, mitre saw, ProPress system etc. This gives the plumbers that do more new construction a competition and a chance to show more of your products. All things up to code. And you know with who you have there it will be picked apart. NO AAVS!!!

Finally, I think all competitions should be given an even amount of points to accummulate. The one with the most at the end is crowned The Ridgid Roundup King 2008 with a decent prize being this has the potential to be a huge annual promotion for the Ridgid company. 35% off all Ridgid purchases for a year, a JobBox full of Ridgid tools, a wrestling belt with a big Ridgid Wrench on it etc. Something though.

Comment

Working...
                              X