Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are You Qualified?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Imagine if sylvia was from Canada? That would just be a bad conversation from the get go.
    LOL...actually, if memory serves..he once went on and on and on and on and...(well you get the point) about how much education he had in the trade as he came up the ranks in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
      In Ohio we have to have 10 hours of continuing education a year to keep our license and to stay up to date with code changes . If we do not have the hours we forfeit our license and have to be retested.
      So do we. ???? Still confused by your response to my statement. Anyway, I feel I'm qualified, can always learn, & improve.

Comment

i dont know if you still have to do it but i remember 20yrs ago in long island NY to get your masters you had to wipe a lead joint with a hot glove

for those that dont know what it is this may help http://books.google.com/books?id=7tV...cjpY1EPU&hl=en
        Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM.
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I think, if you truely love the trade, that you never feel completely qualified. I've been in the trade for going on 36 years. Have a wallet full of licenses and certifications, and I still am constantly reading and going to seminars. I doubt there's anyone that can keep up with it all and still swing a wrench, but lord knows the better one keep trying.

However, can you really be a "Master" with only 4 1/2 years schooling and experiance.

I will take transcrips of this thread and present them to my plumbers board because I have been trying for quite a while now to change how this state licenses plumbers.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            i dont know if you still have to do it but i remember 20yrs ago in long island NY to get your masters you had to wipe a lead joint with a hot glove

for those that dont know what it is this may help http://books.google.com/books?id=7tV...cjpY1EPU&hl=en
            HAWK I like the link you attached, It reminds me of a house I looked at about a year ago. It still had the attic water storage tank and the hot water heater was the stove on the first floor (still in use) must have been made in the 1800's
            ________
            Jeep cherokee (xj)
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:47 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I think, if you truely love the trade, that you never feel completely qualified. I've been in the trade for going on 36 years. Have a wallet full of licenses and certifications, and I still am constantly reading and going to seminars. I doubt there's anyone that can keep up with it all and still swing a wrench, but lord knows the better one keep trying.

However, can you really be a "Master" with only 4 1/2 years schooling and experiance.

I will take transcrips of this thread and present them to my plumbers board because I have been trying for quite a while now to change how this state licenses plumbers.

I agree 100%, you can never have enough iformation!! I know a guy that waits till he hets popped by the inspector for not having certs before he gets one, I do it as soon as I know it's available.

I am always going to product training and knowledge classes, and I am always drilling the product reps when they come in for a counter day.

I love knowledge and every day I look for something new.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

[quote=HVAC HAWK;129019]i dont know if you still have to do it but i remember 20yrs ago in long island NY to get your masters you had to wipe a lead joint with a hot glove

I do remember, and still can. I can even fabricate a lead drum trap from sheet lead.
                sigpic

Comment

Uh, it ain't brain surgery. But sometimes it does take the "touch" which can only be acquired through experience. If someone has the go-get-em to take and pass the master exam, I say good for them. Hopefully, the inspectors will catch any not-up-to-code work and after a few years under their belt they'll be "old battle-hardened masters" like us.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC Hawk
                    When I was an apprentice in Michigan, the journeyman's test required wiping a lead joint and possibly a wye branch. We didn't use gloves. We used waxed ticking. (Looks like a striped pillowcase, folded into a pad.) It was considered half the test - I assume because it took so much coordination that they thought if you could do that, you could do anything else that plumbing required.

That was late '60s, early '70s.

I was never much good at wiping joints. I could do a good job, but it usually involved burning my thumb.

Comment

I am in AL thus the MPMG in AL (Master Plumber/Gasfitter). I truely feel that the apprentice program here is crap. I was a master plumber by the age of 21. I am now 27. I still have a few old timers that i call on now and then for help, but consider myself a good plumber when i try. I got my brother an apprentice card at age 14, he is now 18 and would be eligible to take his journeyman's test. Yes, he is my brother, but barely can remember the names of all the tools, let alone plumb. Yes, he would still have to pass the test, but he is a bright kid. scored a 23 on ACT. He could go in and read the IPC cover to cover then answer the 100 questions, looking each one up in the book, and still finish in time. Cards mean nothing. You can't replace experience and just proving your worth in the field.

Comment

There's a very important factor to this topic.
                        Changes.
                        20 years ago, packing & pouring lead joints was alot more common..still is fairly common in my state in the metro area on older homes & on commercial plumbing...but less and less common as newer suburban homes go up.

Boilers, water heaters and other gas fixtures are also changing at an amazing pace.
                        Tankless & condensing technology has gone mainstream...a 60 year old service plumber with 40 years experience might be lost now looking "under the hood" of a new state of the art condensing boiler with all the sensors and controls inside.

On the other hand...

NhMaster has it right, you just can't be good in this trade if you aren't interested in learning new things.
                        If your goal is to feel like you've reached a plateau and can hold that as some type of ego badge without further progress...the sad fact is you can get by..just fine.

I had the distinct displeasure of working for a 22 yr old master during my apprenticeship, the owner had put me with him because I was patient and this kid was notoriously good at burning out apprentices.
                        He was completely full of himself, I got to listen to him expound upon his own accolades daily..."I'm so far ahead of the game, I'll be rich before I'm 40."..."You don't know half what I've already forgotten.".

The irony is that I was in school at the time, and he used to almost constantly misquote code...I made a point of letting him without correction.
                        He apparently HAD forgotten twice what I knew.

After almost a year with him, I almost decided to leave the trade.
                        The boss saw it, called me into his office and put me with someone else after informing me that I had set the record for longest to last with him.
                        I still call the next guy I was put with, friend for life..we had an absolute blast working together...I'd forgotten that my job wasn't completely miserable, for a short period at least.

One of the biggest differences in a masters license here is the fact that you can hire journeymen, apprentices & run a full shop.
                        This kid couldn't run a hotdog stand.

Comment

I got my plumbing license thirty years ago after a five year apprenticeship and a test, and to become a master plumber here in Melbourne all you had to do was hand over a couple of hundred dollars and that was it as a master plumber is only a name as it is an association.
                          Over thirty years I have come the conclusion our licenses are not worth the paper they are written on as you are learning something new in plumbing every day and will be until we quit or die.
                          What is this a comedy forum or a plumbing forum.

Regards
                          Tony

You Yankee Doddles make me laugh!

Comment

Working...
                          X