X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Qualified?

I want to start this thread by saying first off that I am in no way dissing anyone here at all. In fact had i been ale to avail myself of the situation when I was younger I would have jumped all over it.

In N.H. a young man can enter the apprentice program at the age of 18, do his four years and apon completion, take the journeymans exam. If he passes, he has to wait six months before taking the masters exam. If he passes he is officially a "Master Plumber"

Do you guys thing this is right.? Is 4 years and 6 months enough experiance in the trade to be called a Master.?
    sigpic

Re: Are You Qualified?

Six months is a joke.

Comment

i received my journeymans when i was 22 i thought i was gods gift to plumbing. now that im a little older i look back and see that i wasnt. and im still not even close. i guess at 22 you know enough to get the work done. thats a good question. i think they should require more extended learning classes. i forget more than i remember these days.
      Mike
      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

No. You are not a master at 4.5 years in the trade.

I live in Westchester County, NY and here you need 5 years of W2 forms to take the Journeyman exam and 10 years of W2 forms for the master.

I am also a master in Connecticut and there I believe you need 7 years for a master.

Comment

I have over 10 years experience, but I only needed 2 years proof to take the master plumbing test here in North Carolina! (I know its really low).
          I feel its fair though because they make up for it with the licensing test! which has a business & law section that is very difficult and is 50 questions in one hour...most people fail this test. The second part of the test is plumbing code questions and such and is 200 questions in 4 hours, and it is also very hard and very tricky.

To give you an example of how hard the test is nowadays, I scored a 1400 on the SATs in high school which is the top 96% in the country. (I was expected to be an architect or something by my family)
          The plumbing test was definitely harder than that even with 10 years experience and time to study.

I agree with the testing system, time on the job doesn't mean you are a master. I have met guys who were plumbers for many years and were idiots that I wouldn't call master plumbers.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

in kansas it`s

12-1509

(e) Before sitting for the standard examination designated by K.S.A. 12-1508, and amendments thereto, an applicant for a journeyman certificate shall demonstrate documented proof of a minimum of two years field experience. "Field experience" means working under the direct supervision of a person having a valid journeyman certificate or master certificate or attending trade related schooling. No more than one year of the requirement may be satisfied by trade related schooling. Schooling shall consist of a minimum of 240 hours classroom training.
            (f) Before sitting for the standard examination designated by K.S.A. 12-1508, and amendments thereto, an applicant for a master certificate shall demonstrate documented proof of having a valid journeyman certificate for a minimum of two years or having field experience for a minimum of four years.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

A chimpanzee with a learning disability could pass the NH journeymans test ( a chimp without the disability could pass the masters) That aside, just from an experiance point of view, because face it some people are very good at test taking, is four years enough.?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                A chimpanzee with a learning disability could pass the NH journeymans test ( a chimp without the disability could pass the masters) That aside, just from an experiance point of view, because face it some people are very good at test taking, is four years enough.?
                What does the number of years prove? A guy could be a lazy, dim, helper type for 20 years and never learn much. Time of experience is not proof of competence.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  What does the number of years prove? A guy could be a lazy, dim, helper type for 20 years and never learn much. Time of experience is not proof of competence.

A guy could have one year and know more then and do a better job then a guy that has 20 years
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Yes, possible. But is that the exception or the rule.?
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree 100% and see this all the time in the HVAC field. I just got my journeyman's in plumbing and hvac and am eliglable to take my master's in Dec. The test was a joke. Open book all the way and not really pertinent to the field-hvac was mostly about range hoods and combustion air and plumbing was about backflow(that's important but very questions about other stuff). My hvac instructor says "don't be the guy that learned wrong in the first year and continued the wrong way for the next 19 years. That's not 20 years of experience."
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The question is slightly skewed as it leaves out qualified to do what? The qualifications to do service and drain cleaning pale to those required to plumbing an Industrial Plant so while you may be qualified to do one you would not to do another. Another thing being left out is the fact that "Master Plumber" means something different in each Jurisdiction. In some areas a Master is below a Contractor in others a Master is more qualified than a Contractor.

Mark
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-14-2008, 07:20 PM.
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have over 10 years experience, but I only needed 2 years proof to take the master plumbing test here in North Carolina! (I know its really low).
                          I feel its fair though because they make up for it with the licensing test! which has a business & law section that is very difficult and is 50 questions in one hour...most people fail this test. The second part of the test is plumbing code questions and such and is 200 questions in 4 hours, and it is also very hard and very tricky.

To give you an example of how hard the test is nowadays, I scored a 1400 on the SATs in high school which is the top 96% in the country. (I was expected to be an architect or something by my family)
                          The plumbing test was definitely harder than that even with 10 years experience and time to study.

I agree with the testing system, time on the job doesn't mean you are a master. I have met guys who were plumbers for many years and were idiots that I wouldn't call master plumbers.
                          2 years is definitely not enough time to be a master. You could not possibly know enough in 2 years to operate your own business.

If I had 2 years to study for an exam, almost any exam, I can state confidently that I would pass it, especially if it was open book.

Because one passes a test with only 2 years experience does NOT mean he is qualified to be considered a master. I know 3 great plumbers who couldnt pass the masters test because they were not good test takers, but these are/were some of the best plumbers you ever seen.

I also know some that passed the test and couldnt rough a small house.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            2 years is definitely not enough time to be a master. You could not possibly know enough in 2 years to operate your own business.

If I had 2 years to study for an exam, almost any exam, I can state confidently that I would pass it, especially if it was open book.

Because one passes a test with only 2 years experience does NOT mean he is qualified to be considered a master. I know 3 great plumbers who couldnt pass the masters test because they were not good test takers, but these are/were some of the best plumbers you ever seen.

I also know some that passed the test and couldnt rough a small house.
                            I agree that 2 years is a joke. But like I said the test is difficult. many people have failed even after taking it three times. And I am actually glad I only had to prove two years because I was able to do that with one employer's records. If I had to prove all 10 years of experience I would have had to contact all my previous employer's from two different states! (new york and north carolina).

Comment

Master means you mastered the test?
                              in California the UPC test was the same for RES, Journey and Master. The only difference was how much experience you have. In Colorado the Res and Journey are the same and for the Master they added two schematics.
                              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                              X