X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Knocking With Free Plumbing Inspection

This is my first post on the forum, So I will tell you a little bit about myself.
    My brother is the plumber and I am the investor started a Plumbing Company 2 years ago.
    I don’t know as much as him but he came to me to help him get started, and I was going to quit my full time Job when we felt the plumbing company was making money and we could afford it. Well $30,000 debt later I am still working my full time job, and he is just getting by with the income from the plumbing company.

Currently we have Full-page ad in the Local Yellow Page book, and we live in a city of
    210,000 people, but we are competing against some big company’s that have million dollar-advertising campaigns, From TV ad’s to billboards, 4 pages in the yellow page book. It seems the only people that call are the Wall-Mart shoppers or the overflow, maybe we get lucky some customers open up to our yellow page ad that’s about 8 pages back from the big guys. Now we are desperately looking to generate more business or the company is not going to make it another year.

My Idea is Door Knocking with a Free Inspection, I plan to target the old homes, in the higher end neighbor hoods, I am just wondering what you guys think or if anyone else has any idea’s to generate more business? I think if we go in with an inspection sheet and a nice clean uniform and explain the inspection, When we find something wrong we give the customer the upfront price to fix the leak or Change the Toilet seal or change the old sub pump etc. any Idea’s?
    Last edited by remy65; 03-14-2008, 07:42 AM.

Re: Door Knocking With Free Plumbing Inspection

it sounds like something is wrong besides advertising. how many refferals do you guys get? or how many repeat customers? it may be a problem with your pricing. it may be your brothers customer service skills. some people are great plumbers but not so good salesman. door hangers wont hurt but i would concentrate on the customers you already have. find a way for them to call you again. what makes you guys different than the other guys? im a small shop and i get alot of repeat business by working late. people like that they dont have to take off work to get there plumbing fixed and i dont charge extra.
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

It won't work. Would you let someone in your house for a "free" electrical, heating, painting, chimney, flooring, etc. inspection unannounced?

If your competition are big companies with million dollar advertising budgets, why not go after it a little different. Maybe market your company as the small local friendly company that the "owner" goes on all service calls? You get the point, you have to market yourself different from the others. In my opinion there is nothing better then word of mouth advertising. That will come with hard work at fair prices.

Comment

I agree. With all the crazy stuff happening in the world right now, i dont think to many people would let you in if your just door knocking. Try mailers. Postcards, flyers that sort of thing.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
          it sounds like something is wrong besides advertising. how many refferals do you guys get? or how many repeat customers? it may be a problem with your pricing. it may be your brothers customer service skills. some people are great plumbers but not so good salesman. door hangers wont hurt but i would concentrate on the customers you already have. find a way for them to call you again. what makes you guys different than the other guys? im a small shop and i get alot of repeat business by working late. people like that they dont have to take off work to get there plumbing fixed and i dont charge extra.
          I agree. I have only been in business for 10 months and although I admit its not nearly as I'd busy as I'd like, I have not had to borrow money and overall the company has made a small enough profit for me to pay the bills and survive.
          Evn though my customer-base is quite small, I would say 75% of my business are repeat business or referrals from previous clients. And from what I read this is a good number to shoot for, remember its FAR more expensive to get a new customer than it is to KEEP an existing customer.
          GREAT CUSTOMER-SERVICE IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST IN THIS BUSINESS.
          I used to be a typical grunt and work plumber when I started, but owning my own service busniess I have ot be courteous on th ephone, courteous in person, sell myself, build trust with my customers, impress them with my owrk and convinve thm I am worht the $$$ all at once...
          The customer service side is actually MORE important and takes more of my energy than the actual plumbing. There is always room for improvement in teh customer service area.
          I bought a book called, "Raving Fans," which I would recommend to your brother, its a bestseller about turning customer's into lifetime clients who recommend your services to everyone they know!
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

does your brother do a lot of outdoor work? such as water mains, sewers.\, sprinklers?

anytime i'm outside for a days work, the neighbors come up and ask for a card. this is the time to talk to them and sell the fact that you're the owner and you live in the neighborhood.

when they know that, they are more impressed than dealing with a large co and a real stranger.

it takes time to build up your repeat business. i've got customers i don't see for 2-3 years at a time. then i have customers i see 6 times a year. buildings i see every other week.

i don't work for complete strangers. they have to be a referral and local.

concentrate at staying local so that you can service the area you live. this allows for calls to fit into the customers sch. not to mention, you get more work and less driving.

plus at 6mpg. i get a lot of jobs in before i fill up at $105. in gas

have your brother come here and participate with the discussion. he might pick up some tips and get you your money back sooner than later

good luck

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Try craigslist. Hate to say it but maybe American Home shield. It'll take forever to get your money but you'll get it. I would drop them once you get established but they'll be good for now. Maybe an internal look of your business operations would shed light on the subject.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There is Service Magic too, that would definitely get you some work.
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Home owners are going to think your just looking for ways to make a buck off them, if you just come to their door asking to search their whole house looking for problems.

Just think how much gas and time you would spend on this free service.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Drop or reduce the size of Yellow Page ad. If you are 8 pages deep behind bigger, well reconized companies you are in plumbing wasteland. You advertizing dollars are not going to pay off there. Best to focus on zip codes where your bread and butter is. Talk to a Direct Marketing firm. 210,000 isn't a huge piece of pie to slice up in a plumber saturated market but you should be able to find enough work to make a decent living.

If you believe what you see on TV, times are tough and getting tougher. Keep your head up and don't freak out.

Someone just knocked on my door yesterday selling home alarm systems door by door..WTH?...he wanted to come in and evaluate my current system...um...I don't think so...goodbye!

Comment

Working...
                    X