X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Home Shield (Good and Bad)

In response to giving your every customer great service and not just running in and tightening a nut and running out. You have to remember that in this case AHS is your customer. Not the HO directly. Of course, cutting out that 10 year old gate valve and replacing it with a new ball valve with your company name printed on the handle would be the best repair, but your customer (AHS) wants the problem resolved as cheaply as possible. Even if that is just tightening a packing nut. The end result is the same. HO can replace thier ceiling tile and know that the new one won't get stained by a loose packing nut dripping water on it. Bear in mind also, your warranty given to AHS or OR is only 30-60 days.

Comment

MPMGinAL:
      I don't get it. If your invoice average is supposed to be 200, and you bill AHS 850 for 3 calls, your invoice average is $283 per call. Which is $83 per call too much.

Comment

Sorry about the confusion. You would have to assume that a wh changeout would be a smalle percentage than 1 in 3. probably closer to 1 in 10 or 15. You just have to adjust accordingly. The warranty co. has the ability to look and see how many big ticket items you had versus smaller as well and has an understanding that if you get 5 wh's in a row that your invoice amt will be high. But over a period of time it will average back out (Quarterly, yearly, etc.). The point i was trying to make was not to be afraid of the low ball rates they want you to give to do change-outs. You can make up your money elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post
          The point i was trying to make was not to be afraid of the low ball rates they want you to give to do change-outs. You can make up your money elsewhere.
          Thats pretty much what I was told, there are numerous loopholes that disqualify the warranty coverage and you wind up billing the customer direct.

That was the part that has me concerned..I'm still on the fence, but generally don't jump into thinghs without taking my time to consider all variables.

Comment

Thats good to consider. I don't make practice of trying to overwhelm the HO with a bunch of not-coverded cost. I once got into an argument with one of thier autho reps because i told him that a tub/shower valve needed to be replaced. He tried to convince me that it was not a valve, but a faucet and faucets aren't covered. Now can you clarify the difference between a tub and shower valve and a tub and shower faucet? They can be a little scandalous at times. I charge them a minimum of two hours at sixty an hour. Thats whether the work is covered, not covered, takes 10 min. or 2 hours. You know as well as i do that if you spend 2 hours on a plumbing service call you have done alot. I don't think it would work that well for a co running 5 or 6 trucks, but 1 to 2 it does good for me. It can become a billing nightmare though as someone has to sit and dtermine what to bill and bill. I also think that if i only did plumbing i might have to re-consider. I also do HVAC for them. I charge them more for capacitors, contactors, transformers, etc. than most flat rate co's. 200 bucks to change out a cap or contactor loaded with ants si good money.

Comment

AHS is a Memphis based company. The company I started with did tons of their work. When I went out on my own I applied and became a slave as well. If I could have charged for on-the-phone-time i would be a rich (well, richer) man.

At that time they had Rescue Rooter, Servicemaster, and Neighborhood plumbing, so apparently I would get only the really sh***y work.

I would also get called for the very late after hours emergencies.

I started billing them my normal rates and they stopped calling.

I can't think of one customer I serviced through AHS that I still have today.

If you have to have their work-keep it below 10 or 15% of your total volume or they will jerk you around just because they know they can. Sort of like a Walmart vendor.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Slimtim, I like you already!
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Finally!
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Typical visit inside a AHS covered homeowner:

HO: "Our insurance covers this repair and all we owe you is our deductible which is $50."

Plbr: "Ma'am, you're insurance only covers the clog, not the repairs to the pipe."

HO: "Well, that's not what it says in our insurance policy"

Plbr: "I'll have to contact AHS and find out what is covered and what isn't."

15-20 minutes talking back and forth with AHS, homeowner, my boss, back to talking to AHS, homeowner, then boss wondering what is taking so long

Plbr: "Ma'am, your insurance company (AHS) is stating they will cover the cost of part of the job and you are responsible for the other."

HO: "I need to call my husband to discuss this matter with him."

Plbr: "Okay, I'll be out at my truck and let me know what the decision is."

HO: "Okay"

Another solid 10 minutes passes by, I don't do anything but sit in the truck and tell the boss that I can't do anything until I get an okay from the homeowner.

Homeowner comes to the truck, cordless phone in hand, dog is barking entire time and kid needs to be locked in a closet

HO: "Okay I talked to my husband and he asked if he comes home in a few minutes if he could remove the pipe and pick up some materials from the hardware store if you could just take care of the clog...."

Plumber sits in awe, silence realizing the homeowner just figured out a way to manipulate the situation where all you're getting for about 2.5 hours of frustration and dealing with the ****ing idiot at AHS for the 2494th time, figuring we're leaving with $50 of the probably $120 earned, not including the hoops to jump through on the paperwork side

Plbr: "I have to call my boss to see if it is okay."

Plumber calls boss to see what he thinks of the situation, saying no means you leave empty handed and you have to at this point chuck it up as a lost cause to make up for 2.5 hours of total ignorance

Plbr: "Okay, my boss said that we can do that"

HO: "Okay"

Plumber and homeowner works together, fix drain and remove clog but in the process of doing the job, another problem on the same drain line shows up 10' downstream.

Plbr: "Looks like you need to call AHS and see if they will cover this problem too, this is worse than what we just fixed."

HO: "Will the $50 cover this expense too since you're still here from the first repair?"

Plbr: "Don't think so but I'm sure AHS will state yay or nay."

Plumber spends another 10-15 minutes on phone, waiting for answers, boss is getting more than pissed because calls are stacking up, ones that make money outside of AHS. AHS calls back and states that not only will they not cover it, but the homeowner is liable for the work to be done.

Plbr: "Whelp, AHS said you're not covered on this repair."

HO: "Why not?! It's the same kind of work that was done on the same pipe!"

Plbr: "I understand but I'm not making the rules, your insurance is."

HO: "That is total bull****! I'm going to call AHS and find out why it isn't covered."

Plumber once again finds a way to go back to the truck, waiting for the moment of whether or not these idiots are going to have us do the work. At this point you are already in the sick feeling mode that it wouldn't matter if you just found out you won the lottery; you're in a bad situation because you're a third wheel of ridiculous system.

Homeowner once again makes that stupid trot like movement to your truck, you know what she's going to tell you and does...

HO: "Well I talked to AHS and apparently it's not going to be covered and I think my husband and the neighbor are going to get the stuff to fix it this weekend."

Plbr: ....................

Plumber leaves, twice as much time invested in a job that if it wasn't tied to an insurance company would of been short sweet and to the point. But since the boss made a retarded decision to pick up the work since no other plumbing company was willing to pick up this fantastic opportunity, the company took the work unknowingly not understanding how difficult the dealings are with a 3rd party that has more exclusions than items that are accepted.

Customer that was scheduled, one that was a full regular paying customer calls and cancels because YOU was sitting wasting your time with a situation thats useless and that full pay customer calls a plumber with a better sense of judgement. Yes. Put that in your pipe and smoke it because that's what dealing with insurance companies are all about. If you can't cut it as plumber grabbing you're own work, then those insurance play to win and lose is for you.

People DO NOT usually obtain your services outside of those systems as you're the puppet most times to the game.......unless of course you're willing to work as cheap as you did on the side when some of the authorizations got declined. Then, who are working for, the moment or the future of your biz?

Someone that knows the difference that wrote the above does, I lived it through working for someone else and I got sick and tired of hearing my dispatcher getting pissed along with always complaining of the massive paperwork the whole relationship brought on, the time delay in getting paid and the kickouts when there was a discrepancy on your bill or a dispute coming back through the homeowner.......which was more common than most who condone this garbage will admit.

GOOD LUCK
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-21-2008, 11:51 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/am_home.html

http://www.syix.com/emu/html/ahs.html
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

^^^^

If this post doesn't provide enough clarity to what both sides experience in dealing with AHS, including my little rant.....
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

My feelings about home warranty companies:
                          Last edited by Service Guy; 03-22-2008, 02:05 AM.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                          X