Rough for Some, Not Others

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rough for Some, Not Others

Slowed down a little here in the new commercial field so I changed "branches" somewhat...
    I took a job I have looked at for awhile...
    Designing plumbing systems in CAD... We use a 3d modeling program for drawing the piping... Then you can look for collisions with ducts etc by using a program that lets you "walk" through the virtual building (Navis works)...
    Right now drawing and re-designing the architect's and engineer's idea of what a plumbing system might look like into what a plumbing system should look like...
    The result will probably be nothing like what they had envisioned - their ideas would not have worked - they forgot a lot of little things like not running piping through steel beams and columns etc...LOL

Comment

Show us some of your work mark.

Or did you do that already on another site?

I'd love to know how to do that sort of thing but it's not in my focus with plumbing.

OT:

I've heard that some of the builders in my area are getting 7 bids for homes when plumbing is going in.

That means 7 trucks, 7 hours of someone's time where only one *the cheapest* gets the work.

I'd like to say I'm bulletproof in this profession on the service side.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

A while back, word was that home construction is secure here for about ten years. I surely don't believe it, having seen the ups and downs in the last 30+ years.

There are a lot of new plumbing employees here that are going to start cutting into my service business when the construction starts to fail. And I doubt that they have journeyman's licenses. But once they get a taste, they all think they're experts. I swear, you could walk down the street here and ask every male you meet if they are a plumber and most will say, "Oh, yeah - I worked for a plumber once for a year." That may be a slight exaggeration, but there have been a lot people who have told me that or something like it. Chances are, all they ever did was dig trenches.

Comment

A builder had the nerve to contact me today to do a takeover permit. I gave him my famous two word salute to make sure he doesn't call back.

Don't need the BS as there's no problems getting a week's work in.

If I can get through to the end of this week, I'm going to rent a themed room and start ordering food and movies till I pass out. This place is less than 2o minutes from me, it be nice if they came with wimmin!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Anyone from uk willing to contribute ? do you believe america has a recession, if so, we are next, and my mates won't have it !!!

Comment

Noooooooooooooooo... It's all those liberal democrats trying to scare us again.

Sticks head back into sand and resumes......
              sigpic

Comment

I have to say regardless of what some are saying I have seen little signs of a recession in the three States I spend most of my time in.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ironic.
                  Fourth largest jump in the stock market in history...today, 420 points for the DOW.
                  The feds cutting 3/4 point did it.
                  Even without that, I have to say it sure doesn't feel like a recession, not at all.

Comment

Oh yea, and ain't it awfull we done got 4 1/2 % unemployment. Only 95 1/2% of the people have jobs. (and that don't figger in the illegeals)
                    Kids all got 300 doller I pods, 500 dollar I phones, 15 hundred doller lap tops, 150 dollar sneakers, 100 doller baseball hats, 150 dollar jeans and and and and oh **** it I quit.

sigpic

Comment

Our supply houses have been hit pretty hard. They are saying commercial is what is keeping them floating. It is a feast or famine type of trade and it comes with the job. Since I do service I have not noticed much of a bump but I have had a few short paychecks.

I choose not to worry or fret about the economy because I cannot control it. I will not let fear guide me down a miserable path of anxiety and depression. No matter how bad it gets, I still have a wife and twin boys who think I am the greatest man that ever walked the earth and that's enough for me.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Oh yea, and ain't it awfull we done got 4 1/2 % unemployment. Only 95 1/2% of the people have jobs. (and that don't figger in the illegeals)
                        Kids all got 300 doller I pods, 500 dollar I phones, 15 hundred doller lap tops, 150 dollar sneakers, 100 doller baseball hats, 150 dollar jeans and and and and oh **** it I quit.

That's too funny as the kids and their pocessions is exactly what I thought when the question came up. It's hard to argue rough times with most are driving cars which are 10-years old or newer, everyone owns a computer, a home entertainment center and several TVs.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Great, started typing...suddenly I felt like an old fart about to go into the "when I was yer age I walked 10 miles through 4 feet of snow to get to school...".
                          I got a "pitch" at Christmas to get a cell phone for our ten year old this year.
                          I got him a game.
                          I'm responsible for thwarting his childhood.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            [B]
                            I'm responsible for thwarting his childhood.
                            . . . and for bring a good parent
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                              There are a lot of new plumbing employees here that are going to start cutting into my service business when the construction starts to fail.
                              That is the situation that is happening in my town right now. The housing market stopped almost completely, and the new construction companies have all started doing service work. Fortunately, we are the oldest plumbing company in this town, so we have a lot of repeat business. I've noticed that the last couple of months I get the same amount of calls from regular customers, but calls from new customers are way down. Most of my competition has full and half page adds in the phone books this year. We just stick with a little quarter page add, just so people will remember we are still here.

The lone supply house in the town has really slowed down also. They are getting worried because a Home Depot will be opening sometime in the next six months out here. I know more of the plumbers are getting product from Vegas, and I'm sure they will lose almost all of the DIY market to Home Depot, I think they have a reason to worry.

Comment

Working...
                              X