Just Nasty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Nasty

Looking for some advice on how to handle this guys, ( I have never seen or smelled one this bad).

Owner calls me and says his neighbors are telling him his house stinks, I about fall over from the smell from the time he opens the door...

(Older Owner has no sense of smell)

3" Cast Iron line split apart in crawl space under kitchen. I had to cut in through Kitchen floor to get to the general area ( A remodel blocked access). I make the hole and stick my head under for a look and I find a lake 10'x10'x4" of a black syrup that smells of rotten death.

Neighbors see my truck and come over, Talking with them and the owner we guess this smell has been breeding for the last 2 years!

- I currently have 2 large commericial fans pulling Air through the crawlspace in an attempt to get this muck dry. ( It is stinking up the neighborhood)

- My thought is If I can get it to dry the smell will stop ( Maybe?)

- Chemical treatment? Lime, Enzyme, Bleach?

- Should the contaminated soil be removed from this little closed bioreactor? Suction Truck, Septic pumper

- This smell is unlike anything I have ever smelled before ( I have been plumbing for 14 years!)

Is there a normal course of action for something like this?

Re: Just Nasty

I would walk on this job. This did not happen overnight and I doubt any of his guests wouldn't mention the smell. The 100 bucks that you make on this job might make you so sick that you lose 1000 bucks tomorrow on the next job.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

just forgot, health dept. might need to be notified on this one.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sounds like the guy buried his wife during the remodel, he's playing dumb to the fact she never came home from euchre that cold and blistery night.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Will post the pics if ya want them...lol they are got good quality:-)

Comment

scary thing is this isnt a new one for me. I had a customer about 10 years back similiar problem. ALL the waste had been run in soil tight pipe (no glue pvc very thin wall less than sdr35, isnt home depot great!) well anyway, I had the crawlspace pumped by a septic truck i dont remember how much but it was more than one truck load. then put a couple bags of lime down, before i would do the repair with ventilation, it is a confined space you know and unless you have training this entering this environment is not allowed by osha!

Comment

Getting off track here but by OSHA's standards, all crawlspaces are "confined spaces" and require a gas free engineer approval before entering. Can't say I've ever done this and I doubt few other plumbers have either.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

And let's not forget all those mobile homes that the 3" rubber elbow fell off the waste so it's been dumping poo for 6 months and then they want you to crawl under there and fix it.

You know.... maybe there are some things a homeowner can do
                sigpic

Comment

On the OSHA thing....

Confined space:

"Any space with only one entrance and exit not designed for normal human habitation"

If I remember the lingo correctly from the classes years ago.

Comment

I just got a call from a guy who crawled under his house to shoot a skunk... He went in with a .410...

He got the skunk but did not get it out (stinks to bad)

Needless to say he has a few leaks...LMAO!

People are great!

I'm hijacking my own thread!

Comment

Dude....

RUN,

don't walk

away from this one..........
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I'd charge handsomely, wear freaking body armor with a gas mask if you have to, and keep it all on the bill.
                        Let this guy know it won't be cheap, I highly doubt anyone will do that job for short money...these jobs are the reason we carry health insurance.

Comment

Good idea on taking pictures of the job, even if you don't take it on, pictures can be helpful if, for some reason this would go to court.

I myself carry a nice digital camera on me at all times while at work.

Back to the subject. Unless you really need the work, I'd run, as another member posted, away from this job.

Just to be safe, as Ben said, contact the health dept. and see what their recommendations are.

I'm guessing once you hear back from them, you'll decide it's just not worth it, by the time you deal with the health dept, pumping service, and then having to repair the problem.

Don't forget, even if it's all pumped up, there's still plenty of bacteria there.

Is there insulation down there?(I'm sure there is.) That would of course all need to be ripped out too.

This is no 2 hour job, by any means.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

You need to call in a company like SERVPRO. They will take care of the cleanup and then you can fix the leak in a safe environment.
                            ________
                            BABIMAC
                            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM.
                            Mike

Comment

I was going to recommend the same company, but I thought they work in finished rooms, not crawl spaces?
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                              X