X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unsteady Hands

Did you guys see the latest issue of Cleaner? Solo plumber still running his business at 84.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Do you also get "white finger" ? big claim in the uk, vibration.

Comment

My dad who roughed in several floors of the Baptist hospital here in the 1950's has had "white finger", throat cancer and other ailments that he attributes to all the lead he used to wipe and pour and test with his bare finger to see if it was hot enough (ok, maybe you can add early brain damage to that)

I started reading this thread because just today someone commented on how my hand shakes. It always has. And both of my brothers as well. He called it "familial tremors"
        I always thought it was low blood sugar (that would always justify another doughnut)
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

to much coffee that will make your hands shake

i get cramps in my hands when i work with copper for a couple days ,its from all the cleaning . then i get tennis elbow when doing that and working with pipe wrenches a lot .
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

What's the average age of you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
              ^^^^^^^^-------How old do I look?

I firmly believe that for every 5 years of plumbing you lose 1 year off your life expectancy

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post

I'm heading towards 40 but I already know that I need to move out of the "hands on" of the business, fast.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I firmly believe that for every 5 years of plumbing you lose 1 year off your life expectancy

Between physical duration, chemical exposure and enviornmental hazards, I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

Any time you start busting into a plaster wall, that's possible asbestos exposure.

Any time you are working with glue and cleaner dealing with plastic pipe, your dealing with harsh chemicals that affect the nervous system.

Any time you deal with sewerage or human byproducts, you're being exposed to the nastiest of nasty, all of it just being one cut/puncture/tear in the skin away from doomsday when it comes to harmful bacteria, disease.

Any time you are working with the tools of the trade, most of the items we use are heavy, cumbersome and difficult to use at times that provide hidden dangers in the everyday work schedule.

Any time you are dealing with the products that are used everyday in the profession of plumbing, a good deal of the products are heavy, awkward to move or carry and most times consider a second set of hands. This is where those who work for themselves and employees of plumbing companies get forced into doing things outside a normal parameter that sets up the potential risk of injury.

I sound like I'm trying to talk myself out of a job but I'm really not. I'm just aware that I'm on borrowed time with being out in the field. I know it, my customers know it, all my friends and acquaintences and business friends know it. Being a hero sayin' "I can do it" isn't what it is all cracked up to be. At some point I have to use my head the same way it got me to where I'm at today and realize that no one pulls away from this profession without war scars and battle injuries.

I think my first employee I'm going to use as a punching bag. Make him proud and make him big and strong like I once was.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Steve, how do you manage to maintain such an optimistic attitude?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Steve, how do you manage to maintain such an optimistic attitude?

No matter what life's hardships get in the way, only myself has the ability to reach the goals I'm after. No one is going to hand it to me, nobody is going to die and leave me a fortune (I checked the entire family tree) and I have no desire to stop even when the tires fall off.

Being kicked out of the union illegally with not one plumber within a 3 state area willing to hire you was the birth to do what no one else will do for me, and that's to accomplish what I've always wanted; Independent thinking which spawns personal success. I don't mind being the poster child for obesity and poor health when I get to go where I'm destined to be. That place might be very insignificant to some but not to me. None of what I'm writing involves lavish living, luxury homes, tons of materialistic items. I want financial security till my ending....that's it.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-22-2008, 08:13 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      No matter what life's hardships get in the way, only myself has the ability to reach the goals I'm after. No one is going to hand it to me, nobody is going to die and leave me a fortune (I checked the entire family tree) and I have no desire to stop even when the tires fall off.

Being kicked out of the union illegally with not one plumber within a 3 state area willing to hire you was the birth to do what no one else will do for me, and that's to accomplish what I've always wanted; Independent thinking which spawns personal success. I don't mind being the poster child for obesity and poor health when I get to go where I'm destined to be. That place might be very insignificant to some but not to me. None of what I'm writing involves lavish living, luxury homes, tons of materialistic items. I want financial security till my ending....that's it.

now that is very well put.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                      X