X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsteady Hands

When I was young, 16 and just starting to work with my elders in the plumbing business, I used to watch and study the teachers of the trade and how to do things.

Since I started out as a pipe and fitting go getter, pipe cleaner and pipe cutter, I watched those who taught me this great trade and what it is all about.

I used to see that in the older workers that their hands would shake when working. This used to bother me because at the time I could use my hands with much finesse and be steady in all ways.

Not no more. My hands have been starting to shake more and more as I use them and it's becoming embarrassing. I catch myself sliding my hands into motion before holding them in a way where it is more noticeable.

Was just curious if anyone else with their age increase if they happen to see this as a problem or nuisance. This has been extremely gradual and when I see others with this problem, I see it instantly and know what it's like, unfortunately.

I would say from a medical point of view that it's the slow degradation or breakdown of the nerve endings in my hands that's causing this.

Plumbing is hard on the hands, drain cleaning is especially when dealing with the smaller cables.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Unsteady Hands

I've got the same thing after years of hard work and punching things, but doctor told me it has more to do with the nervous system. He said cutout the coffee, tea and alcohol. You need to take some time to calm down and give your nerves a rest. Smoking causes damage too! Only way to know if this will calm the shaking hands is to cut back or cut out these things, easier said than done.

Comment

Old Master plumber in Texas used to tell me when I was a youngster that I should always wear my rubber (latex gloves) when working with PVC / CPVC primers and cements otherwise I would get the shakes like him...

Years later he was diagnosed with Parkensons...

I always wondered if there was some truth to his advice or that the chemicals in some way contributed to his Parkensons.

Make sure and have a regular Doctors check-up Dunbar and let him know your concern.

Comment

Odd that you brought this up, I just noticed my bosses hands shaking the other day. It did make me wonder if my hands would do that someday.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Old Master plumber in Texas used to tell me when I was a youngster that I should always wear my rubber (latex gloves) when working with PVC / CPVC primers and cements otherwise I would get the shakes like him...

Years later he was diagnosed with Parkensons...

I always wondered if there was some truth to his advice or that the chemicals in some way contributed to his Parkensons.

Make sure and have a regular Doctors check-up Dunbar and let him know your concern.
          You also have to worry about inhaling the fumes of many different chemicals,Try to read the MSDS sheets on all the stuff we work with on a daily basis, I'm surprised we as plumbers don't have more problems with are health.
          ________
          Extreme Vaporizer Review
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM.
          Mike

Comment

I dunno. Seen a lot of guys with shakey hands over the years. I play pool with a guy that shakes so bad it's a wonder he can even hold the cue, but he's not a bad player. I'm 53 and my hands are solid as a rock. I think if I had that problem though I'd see a doc and have it checked out.
            sigpic

Comment

i agree better safe than sorry.

Comment

I never had a problem with my hands but I did with my elbows when I was in my mid 30s. The doctor said I had to lay off the big stuff because my elbows were shot. I also found working overhead had become very hard. I laid off as much as I could and started using my end wrenches and offset wrench a little more and larger aluminum wrenches for smaller work. Within a couple of years my elbows were back to normal.

One thing is for sure when you are workin g with your body your body will take a toll.

Mark

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Not saying this applies to you but everybody I met with shaking hands hands had either a disease like parkinson's or they were alcoholics whose hands stopped shaking when they were drunk.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My wife mentioned someone odd to me the other day about my hands.

Besides the fact they look 20 years older than the rest of me. When I sleep my hands are always clinched.

Not tight like a fist but still closed. They didn't used to do that.

I also get hand cramps now right in the center of my palm. What's that about?

Sucks getting old

Comment

I know from holding cables and hoses for the last 14yrs. that i have problems with carpel tunnel syndrome. My hands kill me at night to were i cant even open or close them. I have to soak them in hot water every once in awhile.

No problems with shaking hands...yet. Just bad knees and a bad back.
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

typically when i break concrete all day, i will get a cramp in my forearms that cause my arms to seize/ cramp up and lock.

drain cleaning is ok, until i have to pull jetter hose all day long.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                          I know from holding cables and hoses for the last 14yrs. that i have problems with carpel tunnel syndrome. My hands kill me at night to were i cant even open or close them. I have to soak them in hot water every once in awhile.

No problems with shaking hands...yet. Just bad knees and a bad back.
                          You should try one of those wax machines, 10 X's better then the hot water.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Not saying this applies to you but everybody I met with shaking hands hands had either a disease like parkinson's or they were alcoholics whose hands stopped shaking when they were drunk.

Me? I don't have no drinkin' problem! Attachment

The shaking isn't real bad in the mornings, it's after a day's work where I've been doing a lot of work involving 1/2" copper pipe or the like, tightening up items with smaller wrenches.

I've been using those Auto-Cutters in 1/2" and 3/4", I hate to say this but I've pretty much quit using my ridgid mini-cutters. So much easier on the hands and less cramping. I can get those auto-cutters practically anywhere.

Bought a set when they first came out and that was years ago, they got rusted up and quit using them. Sometimes I move away from using good tools for no rhyme or reason why.
                            Attached Files
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

As I approach 60 (in August), I find myself thinking how lucky I am that I'm in such good shape. Sure, I have pains, which I've simply gotten used to. I have a lot of pain in hand joints, moreso after I work with channelocks all day.

I've injured my back, too, but healed pretty well from it, and the symptoms seem to be reduced every year.

I don't have the stamina i used to have. But I still do pretty well. I still take stairs two at a time. If I work on a ladder, my feet will hurt the next day.

Shaking could be as simple as a need for calcium. Or it could be too much caffeine. Right now, I'm steady as a rock after the morning mocha. And good-looking too!

Comment

Working...
                              X