Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbdog Retires.......The Hard Way

Fellow Plumbers,

It's come to my attention, through Plumber Rick and private personal messages to myself, that there are members concerned with my health since I haven't been posting much. I appreciate the concern of those members and feel that it is now best to post my situation for anyone who cares.

I was reluctant to post my personal problems on the forum, because I've felt that the forum should be a networking center for plumbers to discuss plumbing. But in this case, I think that those members inquiring about me deserve the truth, and my continued participation in the forum will be easier if it is done in the clear air.

During the holiday season I was diagnosed with colon cancer. Unfortunately, due to the silent nature of that form of cancer it was not detected until it had spread extensively into my lungs, liver, and lower spine.

The bottom line--- It is incurable. With treatments (chemo, radiation, etc.) I will probably have two years of living left, although some in my situation have lived five years.

At the current time I am bed ridden due to the enlargement of tumors in my lower spine. The tumors have created fractures in the spine causing nerves to be pinched. In turn this causes a tremendous amount of pain in my legs and lower back. In short, the only way I can be comfortable is laying on my left side or stomach, and taking heavy pain killers.

That was the bad news.

The good news is that I have been given a gift. I have stared into the face of death, yet been given the time to place my life in order. I've had the chance to re-establish a relationship with my estranged brother. I've talked to family and friends I haven't seen for years. I've had the time tell people how truly meaningfull they've been to my life. I've been able to view life through a different perspective. View it through the eyes of one whose every moment is precious.

Since I'm on forced retirement I will have more time to post, but sometimes it's difficult to find a comfortable position to work on the laptop with. Other times I have to medicate heavy, which I can't write on. So if you notice I haven't posted in a week, it's ok, I'm just having a bad week. When it gets to the point when I can't post I have a friend who will notify the forum.

So Plumbers,

Let's get back to plumbing discussion.
    the dog

Re: Plumbdog Retires.......The Hard Way

dog,

I can't tell you how sorry I am to read this post. I know you did not post it for sympathy but I want you to know you have friends on this site. Please let me know if you or your family need anything. I have learned much about you without ever meeting you just based on the posts you have made. I'm sure there are many young plumbers out there who do what they do because of your training.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I really don't know what to say other than I am sorry. Take care of yourself.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Dog,

Man, I don't know what to say. You and I don't talk much, but it was always nice seeing a PM in my inbox from you. I really appericate the one you sent me when I first joined the site, roughly a year ago. The title to your message was 'Keep Going'. The meant alot to me then, and even more now.

So Dog, you do the same 'Keep Going'. If you ever need a buddy to talk too I'll drop my number in your inbox.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I agree with Mark, I know you well enough to know you posted this for the sincere purpose of letting us know your situation.

I have come to know you as determined, integral & strong...qualities that have become less and less common in the current world.

If there comes a time where you need to take a break and for once depend on the strength of others..I'm pretty sure I speak for the majority here that I'd be honored to help any way I can.

- Mark

Comment

Sorry to hear that Plumdog. Will be praying for you.

sigpic

Comment

Zeljka and I are sorry dog for the bad news.

You will be in our prayers and we are only a phone call away Dog!!

We are glad you are back and we missed having you around. Please let us know if we can help, and like Aaron said, keep going buddy.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Dog after reading your posts over the years you are a very wise man and a tough Dog at that .you have helped a lot of plumbers over the years and have made a lot of handy homeowners very mad .

so keep going as strong as you can and hang in there and enjoy a lot of time with your family
                keep going buddy
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Plumbdog

We have had some howling matches, but I will pray for you. A good friend of mine just lost his mom to colon cancer and it really is hell to go through it. I hope you aren't suffering too much there. Please try to update everyone on the forum when you can as to your condition and do post about plumbing.

Comment

Plumbdog, thanks for posting the update. This is a plumbing forum where plumbing topics are discussed but its also become a family over the years. Your a big part of this forum and I have a deep respect for you.

I am very sorry about the cancer. Very glad that you have been given the opportunity to focus in on what really matters in life. Sorta sneaks up on you and doesn't really give you a lot of options. Norm (the webmaster before me) ended up with cancer and ended up really focused on his faith and family in the end. It just highlights how quickly our lives can take a turn and what really matters.

Even though you have bitten some of the new members you are definitely one of my favorite parts of this forum. Glad you considered us close enough to let us in on your situation. We care about you and are glad to hear from you whenever you get a chance.

Sorry if anything I have said above doesn't strike you right. I can't even start to pretend to put myself in your shoes. Know that I will be praying for you (not just saying that)

Anything I can send you to cheer you up let me know.

Great to hear from you,

Josh

Comment

Dog,

I am so glad you posted. . . honoring your wishes was beginning to kill Rick. I think the only other secret he ever kept was that he bought me an engagement ring You should consider yourself lucky(besides I held him back for ya).

You know how we feel and how to reach us. I will cook and deliver food if you want to, so don't start to be shy now

I know you always tease me, but you are our hero

Joey (and what's-his name)
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

an honest man through and through, im going through a cancer scare right now and my feeling go out to you, enough said i wont turn this into a pitty party...i have much respect for you, from your comments here
                        how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

I empathize with you and your loved ones. My prayers are with you.

I'm newer to the forum but always enjoy plumbdogs straight shootin' to break up the bull. So as long as you can, keep shootin' dog.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's kind words. A special thanks to Rick and Mrs. Seatdown for support and honoring my wishes.
                            the dog

Comment

Blessings to you and yours.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X