X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nee job offer info, Roto Rooter

Well I am a JP, here in Alabama. I have been offered a job from Roto Rooter. I need some input. First I did not know you had to buy or own your own truck, is this standard procedure? They will buy all tools, sewer machines ect. but when a cable needs replacing you have to buy them yourself. Also it will be commission work after about 2-3 weeks. The field manager makes it sound real good, but I turned the first offer down. Now today he calls and says I can have a company truck for awhile until I could get my own. I don't know how long (awhile) is? The sounds like sub contracting to me. I need some input from former people who have worked for this type of setting, any info would be appreicated>
    thanks

Re: Nee job offer info, Roto Rooter

Originally posted by alcooner View Post
    Well I am a JP, here in Alabama. I have been offered a job from Roto Rooter. I need some input. First I did not know you had to buy or own your own truck, is this standard procedure? They will buy all tools, sewer machines ect. but when a cable needs replacing you have to buy them yourself. Also it will be commission work after about 2-3 weeks. The field manager makes it sound real good, but I turned the first offer down. Now today he calls and says I can have a company truck for awhile until I could get my own. I don't know how long (awhile) is? The sounds like sub contracting to me. I need some input from former people who have worked for this type of setting, any info would be appreicated>
    thanks
    These are all franchises and it sounds like you will be liable for all of the jobs and not have any workers comp. The deal is great as long as you are making as much money as any other guy out there trying to break into the business. However, be careful you are not geting paid like an employee yet taking all of the risks.

Good luck-Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

buy your own truck, buy your own tools and get your won customers. You'll be glad you did.
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds kinda shady to me.
        You'd be better off selling vacuums
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The franchise in DC has a weekly quota of 3 grand per week per technition that they have to bring in. My friend worked there 6 years ago and the stories he told me would never want to work for them. I used to work for a commision based company. If you're a salesman that doesn't mind cheating the customer then commision based sales are the way to go. I worked for 1 company and was making 1k a week part time. I left because I started to hear the stories from other customers about how they got ripped off(5k for a 50 gal electric WH). I now work for a company and get paid hourly which I like much better. Another thing I remember my friend telling me but check into this; roto rooter pays for your gas but only at the end of the year.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            The franchise in DC has a weekly quota of 3 grand per week per technition that they have to bring in. My friend worked there 6 years ago and the stories he told me would never want to work for them. I used to work for a commision based company. If you're a salesman that doesn't mind cheating the customer then commision based sales are the way to go. I worked for 1 company and was making 1k a week part time. I left because I started to hear the stories from other customers about how they got ripped off(5k for a 50 gal electric WH). I now work for a company and get paid hourly which I like much better. Another thing I remember my friend telling me but check into this; roto rooter pays for your gas but only at the end of the year.

I agree with Big Ben on this one.
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Thanks everyone, I passed on the offer. There are enough of people getting riped off as is. I don't work that away.
              thanks again

Comment

You can thank your lucky stars you asked about Roto-Hosen. You made the right move imo. I have friends that have worked for them and they get mad even thinking about bad they got screwed.

None of the guys that worked for Roto-Hosen that I went to apprenticeship school with made it past the first year.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Alcooner
                  did you check with other companies like Mr Rooter or Rescue Rooter?
                  ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

mtnman1100 I have put in applications with every plumbing co. in my area, everyone says they are slow or I will get back with you in a couple weeks, (I got a big job coming up) I hope it breaks loose before long. Or I am gonna have to so something outside the trade.

Comment

That sucks!!!
                      yeah we are slow right now in Denver but our shop is still hiring people. They don't even have the trucks to put them in nor do they have drain machines to give them.
                      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

mtnman1100 hey I ain't giving up, I might have to get something else for a while but it will pick up, I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        my sister in law is from Arvada CO I think. or close to there anyway. She has got about another year at the Univ. of Alabama to get her PHD, in something. Man these kids go to school and have to get loans for undergraduate study, she will own probally close to $80,000 when she gets through, and just starting out. Thats right off the top. They are killing these out of state students.

Comment

alcooner - what part of alabama are you from? I might be hiring. Always looking for the right person.

Comment

alcooner - what part of alabama are you from? I may be hiring! Always looking for the right person to build my business.

Comment

Originally posted by alcooner View Post
                              mtnman1100 I have put in applications with every plumbing co. in my area, everyone says they are slow or I will get back with you in a couple weeks, (I got a big job coming up) I hope it breaks loose before long. Or I am gonna have to so something outside the trade.
                              If you really want some work, move down to Gulfport, ms. They need every construction trade down there. I understand that's easier said then done.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X