X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater T&P In Crawlspace

How have inspectors required you to pipe the T&P valve in a crawlspace? What was there interpretation of the "Code"?

Re: Water Heater T&P In Crawlspace

I have had inspectors ask for the watts 210 (I think) which is the T/P that shuts off the gas line if the water gets too hot with the use of a pressure relief valve at a hosebibb. (Couldn't get T/P drain to exterior).

Another one I saw recently(that had been inspected, installed by another plumber) the T/P line came out of the water heater, into a tee, the top of the tee went up about 2.5 ft, the bottom of the tee had a 1/4" compression adapter and a coil of 1/4"refer tube cut 6" off the crawlspace floor(to prevent trapping?) I can't say I've ever heard of that being done, but i saw the finaled inspection card on it...

Greg

Comment

to be piped outside in a visible location and then 90 down to about 4-6 inches of the ground.

Comment

I think the main point is so if the T&P were to go off, it wouldn't damage another on the main floor.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

i seen them go in to crawlspace but i kind thought it wasnt alowed by code cus you couldnt tell when it tripped, not that people go and look at there t&P but still

Comment

I just went a couple of rounds with an inspector today about it. In NC you used to just run it within 6" of the ground in the crawlspace.

Then they determined water from a T&P should not discharge under a house for any reason and must be piped to the outside of the building.

Now they have changed that saying it must discharge indirectly into a larger pipe to the outside. The indirect connection is just in case the outside terminatiion were to become clogged then the T&P water could discharge UNDER THE HOUSE!

Comment

GL Kearns. I think there was a recall/termination on the use of the Watts 210 valve shutoff system. May be a different number.

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                I have had inspectors ask for the watts 210 (I think) which is the T/P that shuts off the gas line if the water gets too hot with the use of a pressure relief valve at a hosebibb. (Couldn't get T/P drain to exterior).

Another one I saw recently(that had been inspected, installed by another plumber) the T/P line came out of the water heater, into a tee, the top of the tee went up about 2.5 ft, the bottom of the tee had a 1/4" compression adapter and a coil of 1/4"refer tube cut 6" off the crawlspace floor(to prevent trapping?) I can't say I've ever heard of that being done, but i saw the finaled inspection card on it...

Greg
                GREG ;
                YOU HAVE THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND,
                I HOPE YOU INFORMED THE HOME OWNER THAT WAS INCORRECT AND NEEDED TO BE CHANGED TO 3/4" DRAIN TO THE FLOOR.

FOR ALL OUT THERE ;
                #1 THE REASON YOU DON'T RUN T&P DRAIN INTO CRAWL SPACE IS AS NOTED, PEOPLE HAVE TO HAVE CHANCE TO SEE LEAKING
                AND THEN BE ABLE TO CALL A PLUMBER TO CORRECT PROBLEM !

#2 IF YOU HAVE WATER RUNNING UNDER HOUSE IT WILL LEAD TO MOLD
                AND DRYROT IN THE WOOD !
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                X