• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: crazy employee.

Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
    It's happened to me, years ago I ran two service vehicles w/ 2 full time
    employees # 1, #2.....

# 1 stole from me,.. How I found out was he did a service call in which I thought was a main drain clog ( I answered the call ) he returns to the shop at the end of the day with the days receipts, I go over them with him ( my policy at the time) and he tells me that service call was some kind of plumbing issue other than a clogged drain (no charge) O. K..... My invoices
    warranty the work for drains for 30 days... I work the weekends ( gave them the weekends off ) Receive a call from that customer saying there drain was still backing up... go to house and , they paid him cash no invoice,.. fired on the spot via phone,... come in to pick up your pay Monday ( my other policy at the time as a way for them to show up after the weekend) ..... never showed up and if he did I would of kicked his arse.

# 2 nice kid well liked by my customers, easy going, dropped the truck off on a Friday,... I went on a service a call the next morning,.. upon entering the truck I see a bag of pot that must of fell out of where ever he had it.... that Monday morning when he showed up ,.... showed him the bag and
    dumped it's contents right down the john,... paid him and told him to look for another job.

Thats when I decided to go it alone ( don't need the hassle) theres a lot of us on this forum that have worked our ares's off for years to get our good name out there, me included....and my opinion can be destroyed in no time with bad employees.

As a side note....if I where to hire anybody else I would have also drug test, background check and if I might ad a copy of there driving record.

Policies are great. Im in the middle of writing my policies book right now. At will employement. 6 month probation period. Drug test, background check before employeement.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
      Policies are great. Im in the middle of writing my policies book right now. At will employement. 6 month probation period. Drug test, background check before employeement.
      Drain Medic,.. that was back then.... my form of a gps system back then was to have the trucks at the shop,... overnight,... not take them home,... things have changed since then... good luck on your policies... It's what you feel the best way to forge ahead.

Regards,

Scott
      Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
        Drain Medic,.. that was back then.... my form of a gps system back then was to have the trucks at the shop,... overnight,... not take them home,... things have changed since then... good luck on your policies... It's what you feel the best way to forge ahead.

Regards,

Scott

Well put it this way. If its not written, its not real
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
          Well put it this way. If its not written, its not real
          I agree, meeting of the minds, reduced to writing, signed by both parties, but if I where to add anything,.... reserve a space where the other party has to hand print his or her name

Gee, I'm starting to sound like a lawyer in which I can't stand.

was going to sign up for the round-up... sounds like a blast... but have to be a best man at my brother's wedding that weekend, hope Cupid's arrow stays in him this time,... and I hoped I didn't give away was his employ is.
          Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

The worst habits I have are smoking (cigs) & coffee (by the gallon).
            One of the last shops I worked for had a problem, just about everyone that worked there smoked weed.
            I don't mind hanging with someone thats stoned, but to work with them is another matter altogether.
            Nothing so fun as an apprentice that comes back from lunch sporting all the zeal of a catatonic mental patient when you'd just talked to the boss on the nextel and promised you could have the job done that day.

I finally requested to work alone at that shop..I am not trying to brag, but I got more done alone than any two man team there.

The only reason this was the case is because they were all stoned, that simple.
            It didn't go over well socially, but I was sick of slaving to make up for some kid who couldn't leave the bowl at home...it wasn't fair and it was taking it's toll on me physically.

That shop was where I first started seriously tossing the idea of self employment around, I guess I owe them in a strange way for motivating me.

Comment

I fully understand you what a few of you are saying about being stoned or even drunk on the job. But after hours i think i totally diffrent.

Also all of you are from the us, up in canada everything is more layed back i guess. I only drink but have friends in the trade that like to puff the odd dubbie on there own time and are 100% come monday morning. They get there work done and there is never a chance off crashing the work truck stoned because work is work.

Credit checks, background checks? I have gotten hired at the most reputable company in town with just an interview, didn't even have to supply a resume. I find usually a 10 minute talk with someone tells alot more about character than any report or test.

Just my opinion!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                The worst habits I have are smoking (cigs) & coffee (by the gallon).
                From a homeowner's perspective, I wanted to echo emphatic agreement with this. I bet it reduces the # of referals and repeat business, because people who reek of cigarette smoke aren't as pleasant to have around in your house. Also if they throw their butts into your customer's driveways that will get me POed.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  From a homeowner's perspective, I wanted to echo emphatic agreement with this. I bet it reduces the # of referals and repeat business, because people who reek of cigarette smoke aren't as pleasant to have around in your house. Also if they throw their butts into your customer's driveways that will get me POed.
                  thats not as bad as stepping in chew spit all day
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                    thats not as bad as stepping in chew spit all day
                    May not be, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone with chewing tobacco where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post
                      I fully understand you what a few of you are saying about being stoned or even drunk on the job. But after hours i think i totally diffrent.

Also all of you are from the us, up in canada everything is more layed back i guess. I only drink but have friends in the trade that like to puff the odd dubbie on there own time and are 100% come monday morning. They get there work done and there is never a chance off crashing the work truck stoned because work is work.

Credit checks, background checks? I have gotten hired at the most reputable company in town with just an interview, didn't even have to supply a resume. I find usually a 10 minute talk with someone tells alot more about character than any report or test.

Just my opinion!!!!

Ok, so what if they get hurt on the job. Soldering they burn down someones house. Snaking a line they get caught up in a snake. Didnt connect a vent pipe the right way. Homeowner gets caught, then tells the insurance company that the guy that was there seemed real tired, and had red eyes. I know anyone can get hurt and all of those scenarios can happen if your the straightest person on earth, but im still not willing to take those risks....i dont care if its on their time or not, working for me isnt the right place for you if you want to do that stuff.
                      Last edited by Drain Medic; 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Drug and alcohol testing is a slippery slope to be on

If you are just starting out and can screen employees as they join, that's fine

But if we performed a piss test on every employee Monday morning, close to half would fail.

So what do you do? fire all of them on the spot?....you just can't do that to your business

Provide them with drug and alcohol counciling and retest in 6 months? then fire those that fail? What if it's your best employees?

I'm pretty sure we don't have any crack addicts, they are easy to spot. Your best tools sprout legs whenever he's around

I think our current policy is: Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Every so often a customer will call in complaining about a bill. As ammunition, they say something like: ...he took too long and his breath smelled like beer!

If that comment keeps coming back on the same employee there might be a problem

Back in the day the old timers I worked with would get a 12 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon at 8 am. Didn't have to be cold either. By 2 o'clock he's done with it and totally worthless.

During lunch I may have found a joint to smoke Hey it was the eighties man, everyone was doing it

Test them when first hired and annually thereafter.

Perform random spot checks during the year sampling roughly 10% of the work force.

Testing is optional, but a refusal is grounds for termination and during the hiring phase refusal will disqualify you automatically.

Offer counselling to those who test positive. Continued employment is dependant upon monthly monitoring and sticking with the counselling sessions.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I worked for one employer that decided he was going to test everyone unannounced. He marched us all over to the clinic and had us drug tested. Weeks pasted by an nobody heard anything. Finally, I asked him how the drug test came out. He looked at me with a downtrodden face and said "So many people tested positive I can't do anything about it.".

I worked for another employer that did hair follicle testing, criminal background check, credit check, psychological testing and a polygraph. It didn't catch the raging alcoholics though. The employees were more level headed though.

Having employees that do drugs and those who don't do drugs is like oil and water. Neither will be comfortable with the other. Other problems will develop.

My biggest problem with coworkers that abuse alcohol and do drugs is the amount of work they miss. They think their problem only affects them.
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            The point of this thread was regarding the use of drugs on the job, I imagine the smell of a freshly smoked joint is less appealing, or the sight of some kid who's jaw is chewing some imaginary gum while he talks a mile a minute and can't seem to sit still might just possibly be less appealing as well.
                            I make a living from repeat/referral business.
                            You might be surpirised to learn that the world as a whole is as disgusted with imperfection as you are.

If the faint smell of my last cigarette disgusts you, I can't imagine how displeased the smell of soldering would be, the smell of pipe dope, or the smell of PVC solvent

Next step in the politically correct course of events is to screen all workers entering your home for whether they eat red meat, it's unhealthy and undesireable...you shouldn't allow those people in your home.

In my work, I encounter steriotypes daily, I've come to learn that when certain customers have high expectations...they almost always have low expectations on price.

As for drugs, I don't care in the least what you do on your time...I'll even hang with you if your cool.
                            If you do it on my time, go home...my experience has shown me a job with an extra body that doesn't have all his faculties only makes it harder than working alone because I have to worry about what you've screwed up on top of doing my own job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                              Having employees that do drugs and those who don't do drugs is like oil and water. Neither will be comfortable with the other. Other problems will develop.

My biggest problem with coworkers that abuse alcohol and do drugs is the amount of work they miss. They think their problem only affects them.
                              I posted above about working at a shop where I was about the only person the wouldn't smoke weed on the job, nevermind on my own time.
                              You are 100% CORRECT, there is no way to avoid the paranoia that becomes held against you when you know they do and they know you don't.
                              In time, it affected what my boss was told, it created alot of animousity & scrutiny towards me.
                              The foreman viewed smoking a doobie like old school "having a drink with the boss at lunch"...if you didn't smoke, bridges were automatically burnt.

I tried to explain to the owner that "I didn't fit in" without ratting out the guys, and maybe should move on, he offered me a raise to stay, so I stayed.

A few months later I went to his office, dropped his truck keys on his desk along with the company Amex card and wrote a letter to apologize, that it was too hard to try to explain why I was leaving.
                              I shouldn't have accepted that raise, it made me look ungrateful in the end, but I couldn't tell him the real reason I was leaving.

It was completely unrealistic for me to continue thinking I could ever fit in with that shop, sad part is I liked working there...they treated me very well, all things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

If the faint smell of my last cigarette disgusts you, I can't imagine how displeased the smell of soldering would be, the smell of pipe dope, or the smell of PVC solvent

There in lies the problem as it is only faint to the smoker who has lost his ability to smell.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X