crazy employee.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: crazy employee.

Mark/Duck, you can hang with me at the roundup. I won't ostrasize you because you're a smoker. I was once one too.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Mark/Duck, you can hang with me at the roundup. I won't ostrasize you because you're a smoker. I was once one too.
      I did as well for better than 20-years. I am not dogging on Duck but the truth is I never realized how much smokers smelled like smoke until I got my sense of smell back.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is kind of a long(but fairly interesting) article about drug testing sewer systems.
        http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...ur-sewer-drugs
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Duckmaster flux, you can hang with us too, I will smoke without really smoking

other people stinking of smoke does not bother me, but I tell you what, I notice it...I never used too, but now I do! yummy.....lol...kidding
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Just some thoughts on drugs and drug testing:

The dirty secret of the western US is the devastating effect meth has had on the skilled trades, particularly construction. Over the past couple of years I have seen plumbers hired and fired at an alarming rate. This is particularly true of white 25-35 year olds.

The scary part is that many of these plumbers are skilled and experienced. At some point their addiction became so overwhelming that they have become useless in the trade.

My best plumbers on my last project were Mexican immigrants (legal residents, working on citizenship). I could count on them to show up every day on time, install plumbing with pride, and continue to learn.

After laying off the third American since beginning the project (we were about 9 months into it), I drove home thinking: What's happened to the next generation of plumbers? The company I worked for paid very competitive wages, provided good benifits, kept a large crew working all the time, and yet we have to depend on immigrants for dependable workers.

All that said, I'm against drug testing. I think it is unfair and an invasion of privacy. It is unfair because it will detect a plumber who smoked a joint on Saturday night two weeks ago, but will allow a meth addict who lays off for a couple of days.

What frequently happens is the tweaker you are about to hire has hit rock bottom. He's out of money, and has pending court cases, at which he wants to show he is fully employed. Therefore he is clean and will pass any test you give him. Things do not begin to unravel until about two weeks later when he is paid.

The key is to learn to read through their lies, which isn't hard because they all have the same story.

1) "I lost my wallet the other day, so I'm working on getting a replacement driver's license and ss card." Translation: License Suspended, Wages are being garnished so they are using a bogus SS number.

2) "All my tools were stolen, but I borrowed some of my brothers to get started. As soon as I get paid I'll set myself up." Translation: Tools were sold/pawned, Will steal what he needs from the crew.

3) "On Thursday my child needs to go into the hospital for tests." He has a court date.

By week two he is showing up late, calling in sick, borrowing money from the crew for lunch,
            and asking for an advance on his wages.

If the above is true, you have a tweaker for an employee.
            the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
              Just some thoughts on drugs and drug testing:

The dirty secret of the western US is the devastating effect meth has had on the skilled trades, particularly construction. Over the past couple of years I have seen plumbers hired and fired at an alarming rate. This is particularly true of white 25-35 year olds.

The scary part is that many of these plumbers are skilled and experienced. At some point their addiction became so overwhelming that they have become useless in the trade.

My best plumbers on my last project were Mexican immigrants (legal residents, working on citizenship). I could count on them to show up every day on time, install plumbing with pride, and continue to learn.

After laying off the third American since beginning the project (we were about 9 months into it), I drove home thinking: What's happened to the next generation of plumbers? The company I worked for paid very competitive wages, provided good benifits, kept a large crew working all the time, and yet we have to depend on immigrants for dependable workers.

All that said, I'm against drug testing. I think it is unfair and an invasion of privacy. It is unfair because it will detect a plumber who smoked a joint on Saturday night two weeks ago, but will allow a meth addict who lays off for a couple of days.

What frequently happens is the tweaker you are about to hire has hit rock bottom. He's out of money, and has pending court cases, at which he wants to show he is fully employed. Therefore he is clean and will pass any test you give him. Things do not begin to unravel until about two weeks later when he is paid.

The key is to learn to read through their lies, which isn't hard because they all have the same story.

1) "I lost my wallet the other day, so I'm working on getting a replacement driver's license and ss card." Translation: License Suspended, Wages are being garnished so they are using a bogus SS number.

2) "All my tools were stolen, but I borrowed some of my brothers to get started. As soon as I get paid I'll set myself up." Translation: Tools were sold/pawned, Will steal what he needs from the crew.

3) "On Thursday my child needs to go into the hospital for tests." He has a court date.

By week two he is showing up late, calling in sick, borrowing money from the crew for lunch,
              and asking for an advance on his wages.

If the above is true, you have a tweaker for an employee.

Great post, this is exactly how i feel. That is why i dont care if you do it on your time or not, i dont want you working for me if you do it. Doesnt that person is a bad guy. I just dont need the drama that comes with it.
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Having seen first hand the results of someone smoking on their 'time off', I would have to say that if I were running a business I would have a "zero tolerance policy" for drug abuse...
                Prior to getting into plumbing I spent 12 years working as a corrections officer and saw literally hunderds of people throw their lives away for drugs...

Comment

Drugs are very bad.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                  X