crazy employee.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy employee.

fired what i thought was a good tech, word got back to me he was not only selling plumbing but was also trying to sell drugs from the van, of course he denied this when confronted, so i told him to get out or get thrown out, so iam going thru his truck and what do i find, the guy, used a 1/2 galv nipple and some screen to make a home made crack pipe. what the hell is wrong with people today as an employer not only is he an idiot but jeopardizes my name and company. look like co wide drug testing is in the works. this ever happen to any of you owners out there. shame when trust in your team is compromised by one fool.{that you know of}
    Last edited by aero1; 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM.

Re: crazy employee.

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
    fired what i thought was a good tech, word got back to me he was not only selling plumbing but was also trying to sell drugs from the van, of course he denied this when confronted, so i told him to get out or get thrown out, so iam going thru his truck and what do i find, the guy, used a 1/2 galv nipple and some screen to make a home made crack pipe. what the hell is wrong with people today as an employer not only is he an idiot but jeopardizes my name and company. look like co wide drug testing is in the works. this ever happen to any of you owners out there. shame when trust in your team is compromise by one fool.{that you know of}

Allthough trust is a big thing with employees, you said it right. Its your name and company. Mandatory drug testing should be done with any company. When i really start hiring people, i plan to do a full background check, drug testing. Then drug testing would be done monthly or bimonthly whichever.

I know you want to trust your employees, you need to uphold your standards. Afterall, you dont want these employees killing someone on your time whether by car accident because he is drunk or stoned, or by selling drugs to kids.

Good job getting rid of him.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

We had one of these at my first job. He would occasionally come to work very late and sometimes asked for pay advances. The boss knew he was a drunk but had a soft-spot for him as he was a recovered alcoholic himself. They finally fired him when they caught him stealing from the company. Turns out he was on crack. They didn't need drug-testing imo, they just needed to fire him as soon as he started coming in late and showing other warning signs.
      I only worked at one company that did drug-testing and I thought it was a slap in the face, like they didn't trust us. They also had GPS in every van so we wouldn't do side-jobs and stuff like that. One time I parked my van downtown to meet my wife for her birthday...I was on call. The next Monday my boss asked me what I was doing there and acted like I was doing side-work downtown!

I personally think those types of policies make employees angry and convey a lack of trust, but I can understand that it can be scary to trust employees at the same time. I have decided to keep my business small so I don't have to ever deal with those difficult issues.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

at the place i work for we have a reputation of having good people working here .i'm not agreeing with this but if you come in for a job and you have long hair ,a lot of tattoos showing , piercings and for men earrings do not have a chance in getting a job .
        i dont judge people like this but the people that want us to fix there things do not want people with this stuff coming in to there office .in our instlation dept we are the only ones on the job site with a full uniforms on and our trucks look the best maintained .

so we never had any one get fired for drugs or steeling ,the boss did worn some one for dumpster diving when he was on a service call .
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

speaking as an employer, all our companies require drug testing. all delivery and service vehicles have gps. additionaly, we employ other monitoring devces. this has nothing to do with trust. these are businesses. my employees work for me, they are not my friends. my drivers and other service personnel make between 60 & 90K, plus benefits. employees are all paid above market rates. while that's not huge money, its not bad for high school grads with no technical training. i believe you get what you pay for where people are concerned. but you have to be sure not to employ problem employees. drug testing and credit checks are just today's way of doing that.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
            speaking as an employer, all our companies require drug testing. all delivery and service vehicles have gps. additionaly, we employ other monitoring devces. this has nothing to do with trust. these are businesses. my employees work for me, they are not my friends. my drivers and other service personnel make between 60 & 90K, plus benefits. employees are all paid above market rates. while that's not huge money, its not bad for high school grads with no technical training. i believe you get what you pay for where people are concerned. but you have to be sure not to employ problem employees. drug testing and credit checks are just today's way of doing that.
            we dont have all that stuff we are still small town and people know people so things get around

and what type of work are you in and where is it
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
              You sound like my former employer. Seriously though, I understand where you are coming from. Honestly if I ran a large company I would probably have to implement these things also.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

So all you guys are telling me than you would can a guy for smoking a joint. I can see crack heads but what someone does on there own time is there own business.

And a credit check?

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post
                  So all you guys are telling me than you would can a guy for smoking a joint. I can see crack heads but what someone does on there own time is there own business.

And a credit check?
                  I would go on a case by case basis but I can tell you drugs don't just affect you "on your own time". I'm including alcohol in this group. Many drug users start to develop a state of dependence where they constantly need to be high all the time. Never seen it any other way and I'm including myself in this category. Come to work stoned and you endanger yourself, other people and customers. I will say I'm hypocritical in this situation because I think drugs should be legalized but every employeer has the right to hire and fire who they want.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i used to work with guys that would smoke weed on there lunch break after that some were useless and some worked better. thats not as much the problem as if they were stoned and hit some kid on a bike in a van with your name on the side of it. i will drug test when i get an employees and can any of them that had a problem with it
                    Mike
                    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Drug and alcohol testing is a slippery slope to be on

If you are just starting out and can screen employees as they join, that's fine

But if we performed a piss test on every employee Monday morning, close to half would fail.

So what do you do? fire all of them on the spot?....you just can't do that to your business

Provide them with drug and alcohol counciling and retest in 6 months? then fire those that fail? What if it's your best employees?

I'm pretty sure we don't have any crack addicts, they are easy to spot. Your best tools sprout legs whenever he's around

I think our current policy is: Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Every so often a customer will call in complaining about a bill. As ammunition, they say something like: ...he took too long and his breath smelled like beer!

If that comment keeps coming back on the same employee there might be a problem

Back in the day the old timers I worked with would get a 12 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon at 8 am. Didn't have to be cold either. By 2 o'clock he's done with it and totally worthless.

During lunch I may have found a joint to smoke Hey it was the eighties man, everyone was doing it

Comment

HVAC HAWK...i am in the westchester county, 20 mins north of NYC. i own a few small businesses( fin'l svcs counseling, fire restoration, dry cleaning, financial managment consulting and MIS development and implementation).

rombo...we do not test for alchohol but drug testing and a credit check are mandatory. the credit check goes to an applicants' judgement and attitude towards responsibility. i have hired individuals with bad credit, but they had verifiable situations that were not attributable to being irresponsible. in fact, some of those candidates worked out exceptionaly well. drug testing is another matter. only twice have i hired a positive test. they were properly administered prescription drugs. you want to toke on a joint, you can; but there are consequences. life is a series of choices. some choices have consequences that continue to affect you even years later.
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Hey put me in COACH, I don't smoke or drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man I would love to get a chance at 80-90k a year with benefits, like some of these jobs above. I work my A$$ off around here for 25k. This is the south though, high rollers are few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            Drug and alcohol testing is a slippery slope to be on

If you are just starting out and can screen employees as they join, that's fine

But if we performed a piss test on every employee Monday morning, close to half would fail.

So what do you do? fire all of them on the spot?....you just can't do that to your business

Provide them with drug and alcohol counciling and retest in 6 months? then fire those that fail? What if it's your best employees?

I'm pretty sure we don't have any crack addicts, they are easy to spot. Your best tools sprout legs whenever he's around

I think our current policy is: Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Every so often a customer will call in complaining about a bill. As ammunition, they say something like: ...he took too long and his breath smelled like beer!

If that comment keeps coming back on the same employee there might be a problem

Back in the day the old timers I worked with would get a 12 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon at 8 am. Didn't have to be cold either. By 2 o'clock he's done with it and totally worthless.

During lunch I may have found a joint to smoke Hey it was the eighties man, everyone was doing it
                            Bottom line is, you fail, your fired. I dont care if its on your time, or my time, your gone. Thats all i need is for one of those guys to crash my truck with a baby in the other car. My be an innicent accident, but if he had to give a blood test due to commercial vehicle accident, and he fails, he is in my truck. No expections. I work to hard on my business for someone who "smokes" on their own time to screw it up for me. I have zero tolerance for that.
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

It's happened to me, years ago I ran two service vehicles w/ 2 full time
                              employees # 1, #2.....

# 1 stole from me,.. How I found out was he did a service call in which I thought was a main drain clog ( I answered the call ) he returns to the shop at the end of the day with the days receipts, I go over them with him ( my policy at the time) and he tells me that service call was some kind of plumbing issue other than a clogged drain (no charge) O. K..... My invoices
                              warranty the work for drains for 30 days... I work the weekends ( gave them the weekends off ) Receive a call from that customer saying there drain was still backing up... go to house and , they paid him cash no invoice,.. fired on the spot via phone,... come in to pick up your pay Monday ( my other policy at the time as a way for them to show up after the weekend) ..... never showed up and if he did I would of kicked his arse.

# 2 nice kid well liked by my customers, easy going, dropped the truck off on a Friday,... I went on a service a call the next morning,.. upon entering the truck I see a bag of pot that must of fell out of where ever he had it.... that Monday morning when he showed up ,.... showed him the bag and
                              dumped it's contents right down the john,... paid him and told him to look for another job.

Thats when I decided to go it alone ( don't need the hassle) theres a lot of us on this forum that have worked our ares's off for years to get our good name out there, me included....and my opinion can be destroyed in no time with bad employees.

As a side note....if I where to hire anybody else I would have also drug test, background check and if I might ad a copy of there driving record.
                              Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

Working...
                              X