X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Fling - Irrigation

The 2nd and 3rd weeks of March are alway SWEET and sour for me.
    It means in about a week the $$$ will be stuffing my mailbox but the work days will last (especially now with early daylight savings time) till 7 or 8 pm.

Has anyone else tapped into the irrigation market in your communities? It's custom made for plumbers as far as I'm concerned. I've been doing turn-ons and winterizations and maintenance for about 15 yrs now and it is absolutely the most profitable part of my business.

A huge percentage of my plumbing customers have irrigation systems. They will all become dissatisfied with the people who installed their systems (especially if the techs can't speak English!) The plumbing and wiring is simple (as in not complicated) even if the work may be hard sometimes (as in digging which none of us are strangers to anyway.)

Since they frequently have to call me anyway to test their r.p.devices it's a simple matter to turn on and check their systems. Who better than their PLUMBER!

I used to charge less per hour for irrigation work but when I realized that they use me because they trust me and I do superior work compared to the irrigation co. then that changed.

I admit it's difficult to balance the plumbing and irrigation priorities sometimes but it is lucrative and satisfying. And I like working outdoors.

As a point of fact: I don't do remodeling or new construction. Simply repairs. So my days are not normally tied up on one job anyway.

What do ya'll think.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Spring Fling - Irrigation

In my area, 1 or 2 businesses that specialize in irrigation have it pretty much sewn up. They do good work as far as I know, so people aren't inclined to call plumbers. I used to install irrigation years ago before I started plumbing and was getting ready to diversify into it. Then, a good friend of mine in the landscaping business started doing it because he needed the work. So who am I to go head to head with my buddy? Got enough work anyway. Plus, I just roughed in his new house. And he let's me put in all his backflows.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
    X