Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Hot / cold water mystery ? ( long winded )

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot / cold water mystery ? ( long winded )

Are there screwdriver stops on shower valves? Can you eliminate them from the equation? Hot water dispenser? Any type of thermal expansion device? Maybe Mr. Innocent HO called a plumber in that installed a watts governor 80 TX ballcock? How did you determine that it was not the kitchen faucet? Did you make sure that the dishwasher was not connected to cold water? Don't mean to insult you im just reaching here. and typing everthing that comes to mind

Comment

If everything else is in check and the dual-check worked before i would say add a thermal exspansion tank to both heaters and replace check valve. swing valve is not a bad idea. They are a little less mechanical, not as likely to fail, but not as good as check valve working properly. This would make sense since the only changing factor really is the city water pressures?

Comment

As of now we have the house to where we can shut off any one fct. or the entire bath at the riser to it . As for the kit. fct. its easy to turn off the stops in the cabinet to eliminate it from the equation and both D/W are piped with hot water and are valved to be able to isolate them . Before I had said that we can shut down every line and fct. and isolate them from the main in the basement
        EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

I'm picturing a typical distribution piping system. Its not a manifold system is it?

Comment

Feel free to type away you wont insult me , I can't believe no one else has had this happen to them . there has to be something simple that I'm overlooking along with my service guy who cant foigure it out either .

Comment

I cant remember the pump brand there small like 1/20 hp I think.It's what I call a basic basement house with a horizontal main running the length of the house and branches to risers feeding the 2nd floor baths . We have beat our selfs up trying to figure this out and still dont have the answer , it's not a retro fit this is a new home.

Comment

You might try a thermal relief valve such as THIS

Comment

I hate to beat a dead dog, but i am leaning toward thermal exspansion. I one had a nursing home that had no hot water to one wing and cound out that the culprit was an old wall mounted faucet that wasn't even used. Never leaked or anything just letter water cycle through it. Not really the same as your problem. Another time one of y techs changed out a heater that was piped in series with another and put the TXT on the cold inlet of the wecond heater causing this. We moved the heater to the right location (actual cold inlet of first tank) and problem fixed.

Comment

I remember the pumps , They both are Laing 909 series .

Comment

sorry i meant that we moved the txt not the heater. You probably figured that out on your own.

Comment

I think i've got it!!!! I looked at the 909 on the net. It has a timer correct? What if its shutting off at night and not stopping water from pushing back through it? Maybe a check valve on your return lines?

Comment

The only reason that ther are 2 circ pumps is that after we roughed the house the owner decided that he wanted a recirc line to the kit. The area where the main in the basement was at was buried by duct and conduit by that time and we couldnt get another recirc line tied into It was easier to run a single recirc line to the kit .with it's own pump

Comment

Well we even tried running the pumps all the time and then shutting them down at night , the problem we have with shutting the pumps down at all is that the builder told him that he would have instant hot water at any fct. in the house any time of day or night and if he doesnt he is a P.I.T.A

Comment

We will all probably want to slap ourselves in teh back of the head when you figure it out. Be sure and post the fianl conclusion. Good Luck and Happy Easter. Im going to bed.

Comment

If i didn't think that my toolbag would be a problem as carry-on i would come look for myself!! I want be there when someone say "well son of a *****"

Comment

Working...
                                X