The Sorry State of Things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Sorry State of Things

I can't remember the last time I wasn't asked for an I.D. when I turned in scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      I can't remember the last time I wasn't asked for an I.D. when I turned in scrap.
      but it may come down to it some day
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
        The low life over here have been strippng churches of lead, been rife all over britain, even the cast iron grids (drains) are going.
        Could understand if it was for food, but afraid it's down to the usual junkies
        Are lead and cast iron worth the trouble of stealing?
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Tn. just passed a scrap metal law which requires i.d, signatures, blah blah.
          I would hate to get the government involved in anything but this is getting to be more than just an inconvenience.
          What do you think about the out lawing of the purchase of scrap metal from individuals. Have the city pick it up like other recyclables. The city would make the profit (maybe my property taxes won't go up AGAIN.)
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Salvage yards here require any persons turning large amount of copper(over 5 lbs) have either a contractor liscense or a letter from their employer giving permission to scrap the copper. We used to have a huge problem in copper theft here and that was a driving force in the introduction of pex in new homes.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              Are lead and cast iron worth the trouble of stealing?
              To be honest, can't recall the price of lead here,(but at least a twenty year high), thanks to china? Theres actually a shortage.

Cast iron ?, 10- 15 grids (average,say, 50 lb each,) do twice that in 5mins in our back streets, £125 per ton.

About $450 per trip?

YES! very good money, don't forget, unless your a homer simpson, you'll only get caught(if you do) for one load.

$6-7 hundred fine?

Comment

They're hacking catalytic converters from cars with battery sawzalls. Worth a couple hundred bucks each for the platinum. I blame it on the EPA
                sigpic

Comment

here your required to have photo i.d. there was a guy last week, a local security guard at a port the news said he responded to the sound of someone cutting metal and he was shot and killed they never caught the guy that shot him. they said the tweeker would have got about $50 worth of metal. i think there should be tougher punishments on these guys. its sad
                  Mike
                  Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                  www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

A customer showed me an invoice today. He called R*t* R**ter out to repair the 3-handle delta t&s fct.
                    Invoice read "Adjusted the diverter stem"
                    $490.00!!!
                    It worked for 1 week. When he called them back they said it would cost another $400.00.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      A customer showed me an invoice today. He called R*t* R**ter out to repair the 3-handle delta t&s fct.
                      Invoice read "Adjusted the diverter stem"
                      $490.00!!!
                      It worked for 1 week. When he called them back they said it would cost another $400.00.

Thanks to them, they are making my company bigger and bigger and bigger
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

WCP
                        bigger is not always better! I work for one of the largest communications company and last year we did a battery replacement in a C.O. That included replaced the stranded copper cables. The guys had to cut it in 4' lengths to handle it easily and each piece weighed about 15 lbs. We have a standing contract with a guy who pays us .20 c to get all scrap and there was probably 500 lbs of this stuff. I tried and tried to get them to sell this, but the head man said we had to stick with the contract. Can you imagine that contractor when he saw 500 lbs of stranded copper in the scrap bin?????
                        Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Working...
                        X