The Sorry State of Things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sorry State of Things

I was called to a job yesterday, a 2 story office building, doctors, dentists and beauty salons, they had no water.

Turns out someone had stolen the 2" r.p.device at the street.

Someone had called the local utility company about a flood and they had turned the water off.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: The Sorry State of Things

i had a water heater to replace the other day. the old heater had a watts 210 gas shut off valve instead of the pressure/ temperature relief valve.

city of l.a. doesn't allow the watts 210 anymore

so i had to run 30' of 3/4'' copper outside to the exterior wall and down.

in my proposal, i recommended to paint it that day so it would not disappear. plus it would look better on the exterior of the building.

since i only stock type l copper. i decided to use type m to save a couple of bucks. i was blown away at the price of 3/4'' m copper. $2.25 a foot

i know i only bought 30' but it's been a long time since i've had to buy copper as i've stocked type l for years inside of sealed plastic pipe.

anyone interested in a case of watts 210 valves. good price and i'll ship them.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have a couple McDonalds that i do regulary. I got a call from the manager at one of the McDonalds that someone stole the handle off the urinal in the mens room

Went to check it out, and sure enough it was gone lol.

People crack me up.
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I guess that handle must of had special memories for the thief!
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

we just did a job were some low lifes broke into a empty space at a strip mall and you guessed it tore out all the copper, owner gets call that water is pouring out under back door, seem they went in thru the roof, kinda gives new meaning to the words strip mall, anyway repiped it in pex, we charge a premium for copper and when we walk away its on the owner. as noted on the receipt.

Comment

$2.50 for #1 copper at Super Salvage Scrap Yard

$2.35 for #2

Cashed in 71lbs. of #1 last week

It is a sorry state of things

Comment

copper theft is very prominent in my town as im sure it is everywhere. What about the guy that notices his house getting warm and goes out to check his air conditioner and find an empty shell, compressor and a fan. Then, he finds out that we can't just put in a new unit he has to put in a new system. EPA now madates 13 SEER. 30 bucks at scrap yard just cost him 5 grand.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                $2.50 for #1 copper at Super Salvage Scrap Yard

$2.35 for #2

Cashed in 71lbs. of #1 last week

It is a sorry state of things

I have started scapping my scrap also...never used too, had $300 worth, I was amazed as all heck, it is going to be a common accurance now.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

I used to live in the Inland Empire in CA and RP's and backflow prevention devices would get stolen all the time. Usually the thieves would only cut one side then hook a chain or rope to their car and yank the rest. I was just driving by one of my customers here CO and their back flow was just recently stolen. OUCH.
                  When I have replaced them I always offer to build a cage around the new one. Those aren't cheap either.
                  ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I changed out 3-4" PRVs and strainers on a high rise where each PRV had a 4" bronze gate valve on either side. All of it was companion flange so the stuff was real heavy. I didn't finish the job until late at night so when I got back to the shop I just unloaded them by the shop roll-up door and rolled my hoist into the shop. Of course the next morning it was all gone.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

catalytic converter theft.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?se...cal&id=5378700
                      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        I have started scapping my scrap also...never used too, had $300 worth, I was amazed as all heck, it is going to be a common accurance now.
                        We used to let our guys keep all of the scap from their projects but decided it's not really fair to the outside crews and rough-in guys. Amazingly they all agreed and have been bringing it back to the shop and putting in containers.

In three weeks time, we cashed in a little over $8,300.00 from the scrap yard for them. All of money goes in a pool and is divided equally between the plumbing employees at the end of the month.

Comment

The low life over here have been strippng churches of lead, been rife all over britain, even the cast iron grids (drains) are going.
                          Could understand if it was for food, but afraid it's down to the usual junkies

Comment

we've been in the process of buying a 5 acre property that was in forclosure, just when are financing went through some tweekers broke in and stole the electrical panel,the water heater, the kitchen sink, and some misc. wire. bids from my buddies is around $6000 to fix they probably got $75 bucks for the scrap.
                            Mike
                            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

i say it should come down to the scrap yards to stop taking things that look new and to all of them put up a sign that says YOUR BEING VIDEO TAPED
                              then this will stop people from taking it because then things can be traced back to them .
                              i have seen new copper fittings at a scrap yard and they said there is nothing they can do about it . although some work with some company's to catch employees that take things from the company.
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X