Need Education?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Education?

Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-10-2010, 05:06 PM.

Re: Need Education?

You have a couple things going on here. Quite a lot of people just plain love all the latest, greatest, bell and whistles and naturally the guy selling it is a happy camper too. Realistically though there is a point at which the technology ceases to pay for itself. In the Northeast, solar is a prime example. Unless you can get a government grant the cost \ payback period ratio does'nt work out. You have to factor comfort into the equasion also. For example do you really need radiant floor heat.? Will it pay for itself.? The answer is probably not but quite a few people are willing to pay a premium for comfort and not having baseboard strung out all over the house. Twenty five years ago hardly no one was installing central air in the north east for residential service. Now I believe the number is 1 in 5. Again folks are willing to pay for comfort.
    sigpic

Comment

thanks for the complement on my work

for houses there are some things you can do to save $ on fuel ,a lot of work i do is on big buildings .
      for a house get a high efficient units and a good programmable thermostat you can save a good amount .

on large systems we need to put in energy recovery systems that takes the heat from the exhaust air to heat the makeup air coming back in .
      a large church i'm doing the pumps need to be on a frequency drive to slow down if there are only a couple of units running .
      another school i will be doing is going with geothermal and this is happening more and more .you can do this in a house to .the cost is a little more but it pays off in the long run [ not like solar did ].one of my coworkers put it in his house .
      so i hope i can help a little but there are others that do houses that can help you to
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I installed a geothermal heat pump in a 4500 sq ft home around 2 years ago. The customers previous utility bills were close to 350 a month. After the new system was installed, the bill dropped to around 120.

Decide where you want to pay; old technology cost less upfront but you pay more per month and vice versa for more efficent technology.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If I remember correctly about 15k. He had a split AC with oil heat and we also redid his ductwork.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

JC, help my ignorance here. First, is a Munchkin boiler a disparaging discription of the boiler or the actual brand name?
            Does the boiler heat the water for the storage tanks or is for house heat?. If the former, why do they even have a gas water heater? And judging from the way they did everything else, that sucker must be huge!
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Coincidentally it looks like I'll be installing a Munchkin next week.
              Slim, it's ok...I still have no clue what a river birch is...guess we're even.

Comment

Hey Duck, where is NON UPC?
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Ok, I just googled Duckbutter and I'm lol.

Comment

MA...we don't subscribe to UPC or IPC, not alotta fun sometimes trying to relate to other states.
                    When I first got here it seemed like everyone was UPC, so I put that there to differentiate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      Ok, I just googled Duckbutter and I'm lol.
                      You don't know what Duckbutter is?
                      "Mothers cream", another term.
                      The reason I picked the name was it's something you wouldn't recognize if you weren't a plumber...rut roh...

Comment

That's exactly the reason I picked river birch! (Also known as baby's milk)

Comment

JC, Did that house have a fancy toilet like this one?
                          Attached Files

Comment

It might be worth finding out who the plumber or gc is on that job and sit down and ask a few questions.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              I need some education from you guys. And I'm serious.

What is the benefit/advantage/disadvantage of the elaborate mechaninical systems in some homes? Let me explain.

I stopped by a house under construction today and looked over a mechanical room in a roughly 3000 sq. ft. house. House is in Central N.C. There were 4-100 gal. storage tanks, Munchkin boiler, gas hot water heater, circulating pumps, thermostatic valve, electronic controls and pipe everywhere. And in my opinion, it looked good and was done right. Kind of like some of the work I've seen done by HVAC Hawk on here. But I'm ignorant to this and would like to know if this is the best way to be doing things.

What you are describing (except 400gal of domestic hot water for a 3000sq ft house? That's a little excessive) is very common up here and most plumbers are skilled in the installation and maintenance of such systems. Obviously the climate in cental Alberta is much different than the climate in central North Carolina. A radaint system has a much bigger payoff up here. Comfort is the main factor, forced air blows, infloor radiant rules! Status is always a motivating factor for some, keeping up with the Jones' I do mostly high end homes so I see alot of "status spending" I am working on one now, 5 1/2 bath, 4400sq ft, lake front (Client is a single female, twenty something swimsuit model/clothing designer) where the master bath cost 40K! 10K just for the tub! http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...n=2&category=9
                              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Working...
                              X