Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead ends-not prohibited-why?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16672

This was a thread Dunbar started on a ruptured expansion tank that got me thinking(I work for the government, lots of spare time). The tank essentially became a dead end one could see all the crap that was contained in it. Why isn't a water supply dead end prohibited in the IPC? Seems like a no brainer.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Dead ends-not prohibited-why?

you know you could equally apply that question to copper air chambers, when i was in michigan the inspectors wanted 18" pieces of capped pipe on the water supply to all fixtures, which were worthless because they quickly would waterlog and walla you have a dead end, good question.

Comment

I have to install 2 thermostats on a water heater and I was thinking about the dead end issue.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the 18" peices of pipe are for water hammer and are not a waste. it takes a while for them to fill up and are easy to drain.
        how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

thats if people take the time to do that and you know as well as i do they dont,i dont even know if they are still in the codes up there, down here we have to use an approved device ie hammer arrestor,as technology changes we must as pros evolve with it when its good and challenge when its not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I have to install 2 thermostats on a water heater and I was thinking about the dead end issue.
            as long as you dont mix galvy with copper, if you think about the temp changes whether its on a circ or static you will get enough displacement of water that build up and it may still be slight should not be an issue. remember the hotter the water the more disolved minerals come out of solution and become solids ie around 140-160 degrees, we tell our comm. customers that yearly inspects should be done. in our business one of the few certain things is things our going to fail.

Comment

Expansion tank would be considered a apparatus and the 18" air chambers have to be installed as to be able to drain if they become water logged, by installing valves on them. If memory serves, IPC does not allow dead ends in water pipe except for future expansion.
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                Expansion tank would be considered a apparatus and the 18" air chambers have to be installed as to be able to drain if they become water logged, by installing valves on them. If memory serves, IPC does not allow dead ends in water pipe except for future expansion.
                IPC only talks about dead ends for drainage.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                X