Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron-different grades of quality?

Inspected a customer's 4" sewer CI line. Huge amount of scale littered the bottom. The interesting thing is that the home was around 20 years old. I've seen lines 50 years old that looked much better than this one. What would cause a difference?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Cast Iron-different grades of quality?

same as all pipe, ever threaded an american made piece of black iron then a chinease made on big diff.
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Cast-iron comes in two grades. service weight and extra heavy. There was also a very thin c.i. produced 50 to 60 years ago. Though I'm no fan of Chinese made plumbing products, even so they must adhere to U.S. standards (astm, asse, nsf ect) Theoretically they are all tested and must past inspection before being sold on the U.S. market.
      sigpic

Comment

nhmaster i was told that a lighter grade was made during the war and they called it victory grade.an old ww2 vet that was a plumber told me that years ago. had you ever heard that.aero1

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Inspected a customer's 4" sewer CI line. Huge amount of scale littered the bottom. The interesting thing is that the home was around 20 years old. I've seen lines 50 years old that looked much better than this one. What would cause a difference?

Best stuff the plumbing profession has ever seen, seriously. I removed a cast iron 90 and short piece to the stack last week, house was built before 1949.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the cast, I removed it for aesthetics because the owners never made a point of keeping a good wax ring in the equation.

This was XH piping.....the same stuff used in schools/hospitals/large high rise buildings.

No signs of deterioration whatsoever other than a rougher surface inside the pipe......but that really didn't seem to matter; lady takes blood pressure medication and it looks like someone poured concrete down the drain from the toilet to the first vertical drop.

Those were the true blue plumbers back then; that was some extremely difficult work back in the day and not a cordless or battery operated.......anything to think of.

Imagine cutting a notch for every run of pipe with a long hand saw.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

lets take it one step farther, how about working with lead pipe we still see a ton of it down here, its amazing to see and think about the person that had to wipe and prep those joints. when i got my journeymans license back in the early 80s michigan still required two lead joints wiped,a straight and a wye and all the prep work that you do just to get the pipe ready and after that it still awes me today. ive got quite a library of turn of the century plumbing books and the poor helper often had to start his work day at 4 in the morning just to get the lead ready for the plumbers so they could go out and install it, just think about how perfect all your measurements had to be, and when cast came out that had to be like pvc is to all of us today.

Comment

I believe they did call it victory something or other. We run into quit a lot of it in my area. It's a ***** to cut with a chain snapper cause is usually splinters or shatters. better to use a grinder and diamond wheel or sawzall.

we still see a bit of lead piping in the city also, and try to replace as much as possible. I too had to prep and wipe lead thirty years back and because it's kind of fun I still show the kids how it's done. Though probably not much longer cause I'm running out of pipe scraps to use for demonstrations.
              sigpic

Comment

up until the late 80's there was a brand of no hub called "tru-spun".

it was nice to work with because it was clean and straight. although it was harder to cut with a snap cutter.

it was also an issue years later as it started to split for no reason.

i know when i was doing pre-fab and cutting deck risers (16''). the chop saw would cut right through it and then as it cooled, you could hear the pinging. the pipe was actually getting hair line cracks at the cut.

we stopped using it before it was pulled from the market.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

when it comes to cast IRON it self , as explained there are a number of different wall thickness, of pipe,

but the material it self has many different grades, in it most has to do with the carbon content of the steel, in which it is made, and some of how it is Alloyed with other metals.
                  this welding manual has some good information,
                  http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/OXY_handbook/589oxy15_1.htm
                  more grades
                  http://www.grantadesign.com/resource...tecastiron.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_iron

some cast is very hard and brittle and some is soft and workable some you can machine easily and some will jsut tear out carbide bits right and left,

I am sure some of the companies that make cast pipe use the best of the grades of cast out there, and others are probly jsut melting scrap down and pouring it in molds with little regard to the "quality" or type of cast that was melted down,

I know when I was 16 and was helping a builder put in a cast sewer pipe we were cutting the pipe with a cold chisel around and around and around until it broke, some of the pipe was very soft and some you could not hardly mark with the chisel and would dull it quickly, so I know the cast pipe I was using then the quality control of the materials used was not consistent through that batch.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X