X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: same day bid

Caller: "Tim, my name is so & so, I need a new water heater, what does that cost?"
    Me: "Uh, who referred you please?"
    Caller: "Mrs. Whatshername I think, at the garden club"
    Me:"I don't know Mrs. W."
    Caller: "Well, someone gave me your name."
    Me: "O.K., it'll probably be under $1500.00"
    silence
    Me, purposefully misinterpreting the silence: "I know that sounds really cheap but I keep my overhead low."
    Caller: "Actually, I thinks it's high. Someone else quoted me half that."
    Me: "Well then, please, by all means call whomever that "someone else" was to put it in."
    Caller: "Why is YOUR price so high"
    Me (I'm really thinking why are YOU so stupid!): "I guess the price is just what you pay, the value is what you receive. Bye"
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      Caller: "Tim, my name is so & so, I need a new water heater, what does that cost?"
      Me: "Uh, who referred you please?"
      Me:"I don't know Mrs. W."
      Me: "O.K., it'll probably be under $1500.00"
      silence
      Me, purposefully misinterpreting the silence: "I know that sounds really cheap but I keep my overhead low."
      Caller: "Actually, I thinks it's high. Someone else quoted me half that."
      Me: "Well then, please, by all means call whomever that "someone else" was to put it in."
      Caller: "Why is YOUR price so high"
      Me (I'm really thinking why are YOU so stupid!): "I guess the price is just what you pay, the value is what you receive. Bye"
      Awesome! I like your style.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I am now charging $40 for a service appointment for new customers, then upfront pricing when I get there and see the job myself...80% have no problem with it, the other 20% that want a 'free estimate' are a liability to my company so I am glad to hang up on them.

The first 9 months I did free estimates and was abused by price-shoppers! Some would call me out for the smallest jobs and then try to haggle with me. I ended up leaving empty handed...now I just get rid of them on the phone. Or they have to pay me $40 for my time and gas just to show up.

(p.s.- so far only one person has paid the $40, everyone else has done the work!)
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

i dont have a problem doing free estimates on larger jobs, small ones i can give them a ball park over the hone and narrow it in when i get there. i consider myself a good salesman because im selling a good product, but it just bugs me when people get in there head that because we are in a service business that we will just run and jump because they call. i love the " my husband tried to fix it but he didnt have the right tool, it should only take you 15 minutes to fix it, we need you here now, oh how much do you charge? well why so much its a 15 minute fix"
          Mike
          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Now see boy's. If you all were flat rate pricing, giving a quote over the phone is simple. Go to book. Open page, read off price. Do job. Don't do job. Either way very quick phone call and blood pressure stays low.
            sigpic

Comment

Me: "Uh, who referred you please?" Why would this matter? and why answer a question with a question?

Me:"I don't know Mrs. W." You have alienated this customer in within the first 10 seconds

Me: "O.K., it'll probably be under $1500.00" Might I suggest you have established prices for standard water heater installations for phone quotes. 'Not to exceed' ballpark prices will scare then off

silence

Caller: "Actually, I thinks it's high. Someone else quoted me half that." Careful here, you are on the verge of losing this sale....

Me: "Well then, please, by all means call whomever that "someone else" was to put it in." You blew it....should have ended the phone call here. To continue is just a waste of time for both of you.

Caller: "Why is YOUR price so high" What?... he didn't hang up on you? Time to justify your price and explain the value of your service

Me (I'm really thinking why are YOU so stupid!): Why would you be so condensending? He just wants the best price on a heater installation."I guess the price is just what you pay, the value is what you receive. Bye"
              Now I don't pander to every person wanting a phone quote on a water heater but every one is a potential sale in my opinion.

Water heater prices are extremely competitive and it hardly makes sence to bend over backwards trying to sell one. You had a customer that wanted one and you happen to sell them. Seems like a perfect match

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Now see boy's. If you all were flat rate pricing, giving a quote over the phone is simple. Go to book. Open page, read off price. Do job. Don't do job. Either way very quick phone call and blood pressure stays low.
                Not quite, with flat rate you need to add all the extra's up. For example a WH-slap in slap out is $XXX, an expansion tank, ball valve, etc. are an add on and this much. How will you accurately bid the job unless you're there. That's why I give my starting price over the phone. If they're perturbed(new word of the day) by that price they probably will have a coronary once the add ons are added to the final price.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Not quite, with flat rate you need to add all the extra's up. For example a WH-slap in slap out is $XXX, an expansion tank, ball valve, etc. are an add on and this much. How will you accurately bid the job unless you're there. That's why I give my starting price over the phone. If they're perturbed(new word of the day) by that price they probably will have a coronary once the add ons are added to the final price.
                  It's like selling cars. You bait them in with the bottom of the line and then up sell to the caddy.

Seriously though, most big companies have salesmen that take care of that end of the business. In mine my partner takes care of this end of the business. He service plumbed for twenty years or so so he knows what he's looking at. Unfortunatly if you're a one man show, estimating is one of those things you just have to bite the bullet and do. It can be and often is a total waste of time. It's often frustrating and non productive. But every once in a while you snag a good customer from the process.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's like selling cars. You bait them in with the bottom of the line and then up sell to the caddy.

Seriously though, most big companies have salesmen that take care of that end of the business. In mine my partner takes care of this end of the business. He service plumbed for twenty years or so so he knows what he's looking at. Unfortunatly if you're a one man show, estimating is one of those things you just have to bite the bullet and do. It can be and often is a total waste of time. It's often frustrating and non productive. But every once in a while you snag a good customer from the process.
                    I appreciate your honesty in the truth about a companies practices.In construction we are constantly underbid on the full spectrum of projects by entities that deliberately leave out neccessary components for completion knowing they will add in at an over inflated rate to exceed my bid at a later time.

I try to convey this to purchasing agent(whether a homeowner or builder) as best I can without educating them on the particulars of their project.People sometimes have the tendancy to use others.

"Get as many bids as you feel comfortable with.Then we can talk apples to apples"

Let the Pitch brothers talk their hearts out.Make-em do the leg work so I know what I'm pricing against.

Thanks to this forum I'm waisting far less time chaising Kia For Caddy prices.

Comment

Exactly the way I see it.
                      For whatever reason, I find the ones that want the cheapest are also often the ones that scrutinize your work or stare over your shoulder.

Dunbar said something about hearing "price" as the first thing they ask about...when I get that impression, I try to scare them off the phone...let them look up the next plumber, I'd rather I not be the one who has to deal with it.

Comment

I think we have hi-jacked the original post, but anyway here's my 2 cents...

Do I like demanding (potential) customers who expect you to drop everything for them? NO, but it's all relative. What I mean by that is if you are not busy at the moment and have potential for a complete re-pipe I'd likely go. Here in Michigan it's real tough times...economy is bad and we are having trouble keeping our guys busy so it's up to me to find some work. I'd likely go to the customers house and look at the job and let them know it's a large job that will take the better part of the day and is best started in the morning.

My pet peave is a customer who demands an exact time appointment...they don't understand that our job is rarely cut and dry. We give AM or PM appointments and thats as small of a window we will give.

Another lesson I've had to learn is not to get too detailed in your estimates. We have lost jobs after doing a lot of leg work in order to accurately quote a job to find that customers take our detailed proposal and shop it around for a better price. That really pisses me off...hours of leg work and a lost job over a minimal savings for them...no one appreciates your efforts, its all about the bottom line.

And my all time favorite is the person who could have had it don at half the cost...AFTER the fact. How many times have you had this one...
                        "I called XXX Plumbing company and they said they'd do a 50 gal HWT for $500!"
                        Well, did they come out?
                        "NO"
                        What type of heater did they quote?
                        "They said a 50 gallon".
                        Well did you tell them we went from standard vent to power vent, re-piped gas and water and installed new valves?
                        "Well isn't that all included?"

Anyway, that's my rant for the day

JSP

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Now I don't pander to every person wanting a phone quote on a water heater but every one is a potential sale in my opinion.

Water heater prices are extremely competitive and it hardly makes sence to bend over backwards trying to sell one. You had a customer that wanted one and you happen to sell them. Seems like a perfect match

Hey PC, this is a little off topic but I hope you are not pandering to ANY person wanting a phone quote on a water heater.
                          http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pander

But seriously, that wasn't a verbatim conversation and I probably sounded more curt in text than I did on the phone. Besides, (I thought the garden club reference would give it away) the caller was a woman and I probably had been ragged on by my wife that a.m.

Don't you frequently answer a question with a question in order to get to the best answer for both of you? She asks for a price on a water heater, you may ask "what size?, what's your zip code?, upstairs or down?, gas or electric?, etc." I asked who referred her because that is very important to me. There are no cookie-cutter plumbing shops and every company is molded around the personality of its owner. I'm a single-man shop and when I take on a new customer it's like bringing them into the family.
                          So, I do superior work for them and a good report will get back to the person that referred.

I assume you own or work at a multi-truck shop and if I were you I would have approached that call much differently. Besides, I'm shying away from most water heater installs now since I'm not as strong as I used to be and the installs are so much more difficult with new w.h. sizes to accomodate.

Looking back, (by the way, it really irks me when someone says my prices are high) I should of asked how the other guy could install a water heater at less than break-even prices.

But, I'm guilty as charged. If I were about to make a major purchase I would also look for the best price but with a sensitivity to what that entails.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

every company is molded around the personality of its owner.

That's right. People in my community know me as a sharpshooter in plumbing and there's no denying I do the work to perfection. But if you approach me with no respect to my profession based solely on price or you want to preach your hardships why you can't afford much,

I am a total prick and I make sure you tell your friends and family, because that truck is pulling out and landing in driveways every day making smiles and referrals as a standard practice. Those who get my impolite banter are my daily scrubbing of perfecting my crazed wit.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Hey PC, this is a little off topic but I hope you are not pandering to ANY person wanting a phone quote on a water heater.
                              http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pander
                              Hey, I do whatever it takes to make a sale
                              Actually the definition I had in mind was way down the list

Getting back to Haycads O/P.... I took an estimate Fri at 2:30. I didn't get a signature but I'm confident that I will because I was able to respond to the customers needs. He was only going to be there for another hour. Not a big job but a days work for 2 men. My estimate will include my time invested.

In this service business you have to be flexible. If that means having a man washing/stocking his van at 3pm waiting for that call that comes in sobeit.

Comment

its not the fact of doing a bid at 3,6,10 o'clock at night its the fact of if a person calls you on friday afternoon for a bid on a repipe, not a leak not a plugged toilet not a i have family coming tonight and my faucet fell off, A BID ON A REPIPE, if she would have called monday or thursday or friday morning for that matter, i would have been there but friday at 3 and than get pissy, thats not a person i want to do work for, could i use the work? yes do i have the spare time to get beat down about my prices and give some pushy b**ch a bid at 3pm NO. On the other end of the spectrum i had a old guy call me at 8 last night he had a leak on his recirc pump he had it shut off and it was not leaking anymore and i explained to him that it would save him money if i came out saturday, he said he didnt care the price he just wanted a warm shower in the morning, for respectful customers like him i have no problem going out whenever to make them happy.
                                Mike
                                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Working...
                                X