same day bid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: same day bid

A job that will take a day or longer??? Ok, a free estimate is understandable.

But a free estimate on a service call??? (incuding minor water heater change-out) PLEASE, I hope nobody is going out to give people free estimates for that.
    I did, and it was a mistake...if you give an inch, some customer's will take a mile!

Haycad...don't sweat it, that customer sounds like a pain in the plumber's crack!!! You are lucky you didn't end up wasting your time going out there.

3pm on friday for an non-emergency re-pipe estimate!!!!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

P.S.> I wouldn't doubt it if she already had another company lined up to do the work on Saturday or Monday, and she was frantically calling around on Friday afternoon to try and beat their price.

Comment

How about giving a price and the lady said can you come down some .I said that is the bottom then she said " I GOT A PRICE OF 500.00 MORE " i said you mean cheaper .she said no i mean more >> duhhh

Comment

Originally posted by youngsplumbing View Post
          My pet peave is a customer who demands an exact time appointment...they don't understand that our job is rarely cut and dry. We give AM or PM appointments and thats as small of a window we will give.

Another lesson I've had to learn is not to get too detailed in your estimates. We have lost jobs after doing a lot of leg work in order to accurately quote a job to find that customers take our detailed proposal and shop it around for a better price. That really pisses me off...hours of leg work and a lost job over a minimal savings for them...no one appreciates your efforts, its all about the bottom line.

And my all time favorite is the person who could have had it don at half the cost...AFTER the fact. How many times have you had this one...
          "I called XXX Plumbing company and they said they'd do a 50 gal HWT for $500!"
          Your new on this forum.
          I really hope you stick around.
          Once in a while I see a post thats refreshingly honest, that was one.
          I call the whole thing the "I'm not gonna pay alot for this muffler" syndrome.
          Consumers have low price and high expectations drilled into them by corporate marketing guru's that only want a foot in the door for profit which often creates distorted idea's on what to expect from many trades & service markets.
          Sometimes I almost want to just do what the bigger franchises & box stores do and lure 'em in with promises that look fantastic...until you take the time to read the fine print.

Comment

Hey I'm with the OP ! EVERY Friday
            I get a call around 3-3:30 pm .

" George , I have this leaky toilet that runs on and off every 3 hours . You CAN COME OVER AND FIX IT "

" GEE THANKS ,Mrs . How long has this been going on ?"

" About 2 weeks "

" So you wait till Friday afternoon to call me . You CAN wait till next week "

" But I want it done now or ,,,, I CAN call someone else !"

" You have a nice weekend "

They call back the following week ,,, EVERY TIME !

I know we are service providers.The customer puts food in our families mouths , etc .etc.

BUT COME ON !!! Respect is a two way street .

CP

Comment

Or......an older fellow that calls at 3:45pm wanting a dishwasher replaced, now.

Or, somebody that has an ego bigger than tacoma that calls up, leaves a message who only leaves his first name like he's never going to give you his last name because you don't deserve that luxury of information because you're not working for him yet...

states that he's casually getting estimates for his kitchen remodel like the bottom dollar is his only interest.

What's awesome was I purposely waited a few hours to call him back...and this is what I said, verbatim on a message machine,

"Well, Chuck, thanks for your interest in our company but at this time we are unavailable due to demand. Good luck with your project CHUCK."

I hope he enjoyed that response as much as I did. I made sure I let him know that I don't need you one bit.

See what sucks is I'm accountable for always calling back customers thanks to Angie's List. Otherwise some of them can throw a whiplash report for not returning calls.

The only ones I don't return calls on are winterization/dewinterization calls *didn't return one this week* and tankless water heater requests for free estimates *always at least one every two weeks.* I'm just tired of both, always hinged on pricing and I'd rather grow corn out of a bucket than play the game, waste my time on the phone just to appease someone so they'll go somewhere else to get the cheap.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Because so many people work and either can't stay home or won't leave the door open (liability nightmare by the way) we have been toying with putting 1 or two guys on second shift from either 11 to 8 or 1 to 10. just to handle after hours service calls. We do et a lot of calls from people after 3:00 pm. Either because they just got home and discovered the problem or they could not make the call during work.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Because so many people work and either can't stay home or won't leave the door open (liability nightmare by the way) we have been toying with putting 1 or two guys on second shift from either 11 to 8 or 1 to 10. just to handle after hours service calls. We do et a lot of calls from people after 3:00 pm. Either because they just got home and discovered the problem or they could not make the call during work.
                  I don't mind at all the person that knows an evening call will be expensive, but says I just can't get home until 4or 5. If they are willing to work with me they get the daily rate as long as it's early evening. I'm not paying an employee time and a half so that makes a difference. I respect people who work and try to work with them.

This would be a perfect 2nd shift job. advertised that way has possibilities.
                  I think people know the places that say 1 price 24/7 are expensive 24/7. O.K. let's say higher priced 24/7(I respect the companies that charge more than I do and stay busy, more power to them ) If you try it let us know how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    I don't mind at all the person that knows an evening call will be expensive, but says I just can't get home until 4or 5. If they are willing to work with me they get the daily rate as long as it's early evening. I'm not paying an employee time and a half so that makes a difference. I respect people who work and try to work with them.

This would be a perfect 2nd shift job. advertised that way has possibilities.
                    I think people know the places that say 1 price 24/7 are expensive 24/7. O.K. let's say higher priced 24/7(I respect the companies that charge more than I do and stay busy, more power to them ) If you try it let us know how it works.
                    I used to work at a Mr. R****r....thats exactly how they do things. "NO OVERTIME CHARGE!!!" translates to "WE ARE OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE 24/7 DAY OR NIGHT, WEEKDAYS OR WEEKENDS!"

Of course each one is independantly operated, so I am not saying they are all like this, but thats the basic template they are supposed to follow.
                    Last edited by Service Guy; 03-30-2008, 04:31 PM.

Comment

We are not planning on a different rate for this service than normal. The service guys will be paid the same and there will be no additional overhead.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        We are not planning on a different rate for this service than normal. The service guys will be paid the same and there will be no additional overhead.
                        I think it will work awesome.

Comment

I have contemplated the same 2nd shift idea. No reason not to step outside of the box. You have to offer something to your customers that they may not can get elsewhere. That may be it. However, that would mean me talking a tech through service calls or dealing with where to get materials at 7:00. More times than not probably while at dinner with the fam. Just never could figure out a way to make it work.

As for O/P. I don't advertise free estimates. I generally feel the customer out first. I know im not the cheapest person in town, nor the most expensive, and don't have a problem telling the customer that. If a HO is that demanding my usual reply is Mr. Ma'am, i'm terribly sorry, but i can't get out today, and i warn you if you call someone that can get out on this short of notice, one might have to ask themselves "why does he have nothing else to do? if he is the professional his ad says he should be busy." Generally this will get thier attention and they can wait. I generally can get them in the next day with a 2 hour window of time to expect my arrival. I charge $55. for my time that will be deducted from cost of job at time of sale.

Comment

Working...
                          X