same day bid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same day bid

so i just got off the phone with a lady, she wanted a bid on replacing some water lines in her basement. she said that she probably would want all the waterlines replaced while we were in there. she wanted to know if i could come this today. i said no i could come out saturday or monday she said neither would work with her and it needed to get done and than hung up. she calls at 2:55pm on a friday and gets rude when i cant come out today for a bid? I dont have anything pressing right now but i just crawled out from under a trailer and got cleaned up. but the last thing i want to do is go do a free estimate. if she had a leak or a plugged drain id be there. i just get annoyed with people. they wouldnt expect a mechanic or a dr. to do that why do you expect a plumber and if its so important why wait until 300?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: same day bid

Originally posted by haycad View Post
    so i just got off the phone with a lady, she wanted a bid on replacing some water lines in her basement. she said that she probably would want all the waterlines replaced while we were in there. she wanted to know if i could come this today. i said no i could come out saturday or monday she said neither would work with her and it needed to get done and than hung up. she calls at 2:55pm on a friday and gets rude when i cant come out today for a bid? I dont have anything pressing right now but i just crawled out from under a trailer and got cleaned up. but the last thing i want to do is go do a free estimate. if she had a leak or a plugged drain id be there. i just get annoyed with people. they wouldnt expect a mechanic or a dr. to do that why do you expect a plumber and if its so important why wait until 300?
    Not criticizing you bud but Do your really think this is unusual.? If so you either have'nt been in business too long or you have real thin skin.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Not criticizing you bud but Do your really think this is unusual.? If so you either have'nt been in business too long or you have real thin skin.
      no ive been in the business long enough and somedays people just bug me more than others, i just get back to back annoying customers and it gets to me im haveing a beer right now so im getting better
      Mike

Comment

Beer is good.

Here's the way I callem:

Anyone that's talking price in the first 10 words out of there mouth, I start talking like I got food in my mouth, making all kinds of noises that is irritating as all get out. I'll ask questions like if they have a pool in their back yard or if there is shrubbery near the back door, stoopid stuff that is irrevalent on all counts. They eventually pick up what I'm doing and abruptly get off the phone.

Those who are "slicker" about getting prices from me......I build it up like a climax that never happened. Take them right to the edge when I'm about to unleash the price and say "Can I call you back my dog is choking on something I gotta go!" and never call back. If they call back, I'll do a quick hangup, then wait for them to call back again and let it go to the answering machine.

If they talk with a heavy accent, I'll talk like my jaw is wired shut and they can almost hear me drooling over the phone. If I can't understand you...you are not going to understand me.

Mention another plumber gave a price of X dollars to do the job? I state I do whatever the job is.....for $45, doesn't matter if it is a faucet replacement or replumbing the entire house.....I'll do it for just $45.

And if you ask me for a senior citizens discount? I tell them I don't age discriminate.....allow for a long pause of silence forcing them to reply or hang up.....I really don't care which they do because I'm not going to say a word. It ticks them off royal when you mention age discrimination.

If I call your house and I get a busy signal? You don't need a plumber, you need call waiting so the next reliable plumber has the ability to leave a message to let you know he made a viable effort to contact you. I absolutely will not attempt more than one try when I get a busy signal....it's pointless and I don't need your work bad enough to chase you on a damn phone that you can't spend 4 ****ing dollars a month to allow a second call to come in. ****!

If you dare call me and then use your husband or wife as a pawn for decision making when I know from the drop of anticipation in your voice after I gave price......don't think for one minute I'm not like a trap with cheese as bait to a mouse just dying to hang up in your ear when that saluatory goodbye is rudely interrupted by my gotta go attitude.

At this point I'm having lots of fun with the "clutter" associated with the dealing of the general public. I can't recommend anyone to do the above but if you have the call volume that allows to toss the tossers.....it's more fun than what I can put in print...and I've done considerably worse.

I can sound just like that stain on www.mytalkingstain.com to a tee. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-28-2008, 06:11 PM.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This happens to all of us, not just the Plumbers. I've had my fair share of rude, demanding potential customers. And if they are rude to me and expecting me to drop anything and everything and run to their beckoning. The chances of me, telling them that I'm to dang busy, is very high.

I don't know what goes on in their mind, but it sure seems as if they are more special then everybody else. Plus the chances of your bid is to damn high, is more likely to be. Then they'll tell me, that so and so are a thousand dollars cheaper, thats when I turn around and leave.

I don't want customers that'll be like that, because its a good case for a bad outcome, and I don't need more aggravation. Not only can the H.O. pick and choose their company of choice, but we as businessmen can also choose our clients, we are not a retail store. If something in your head, warns you about a potential customer, then you should really think twice about doing that job or even turning in a bid, but don't leave them hanging, you should just explain that your to busy to do this job.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yet another site that's a pain in the *** to register with. Rejects 90% of user names and has that insipidly stupid "try to guess the f-ing letters in the box" I gave up after the third try. Why in christ web masters can't seem to get their **** together I'll never know. Might be a good site but I just don't have the time and energy.

Josh: This site is far and away the best forum on the web for tradesmen.
            sigpic

Comment

dunbar after meeting you your post crack me up even more! you make very good points, i sometimes am not a very good judge of charector though ive misjudged some very good clients. like i said before sometimes people just easily annoy me. i wish i had the marbles to annoy the customers that annoy me. and garager thanks for the response. ive just been slow this week and people fishing bug me more than usual.
              Mike

Comment

you get used to it and stop it the moment it starts, ive fired customers before some time you have to. we all have to take a certain amount of **** its the business were in but we sure can control the amount of **** we eat, remember if it was easy everyone could do this,believe me weve all felt your pain at one time or another.

Comment

I give free estimates over the phone. "How much for a water heater? Minimum price starting off is $XXX.XX and goes up from there. I'll have to charge one hour of labor to do a detailed estimate." This weeds out the cheapskates.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

we do the same its just fishing,we tell any potential customer that everything looks the same over the phone and prices will vary depending on the situation. some just have to know so you give them a start and try to get a tech to the house. id rather lose in the field than not try at all. sometimes the best you can get is a service call.

Comment

I think it depends on the tech's personality. I'm a terrible salesman, not charasmatic, no tact but I do good work. Either the customer wants the work at the price I set or "thank you and have a nice day". Me being at the house talking to the customer in person, will not sway their mind at all. I've worked with some people who could sell ice to an eskimo. All he needed to do was twinkle the eye and the customer would buy anything. That's not me. It would be counter productive for me to go to every call for a free estimate with gas at the price it is.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I remember an old plumber told me once," its not your water p*ssing out their pipes or your shyte pouring out their drains and your house is dry so stay calm!"

Comment

Like I have always said.....the water is on and working in my house.

It all started many years ago with companies offering the free estimate.

sadly, people expect it now.

I don't have it written on my van and I refuse to openly advertise it, but sadly, when I get called on it, I honor it, because there are 100 others that wil do it if I don't, and besides, 95% of the time when I get out there, I close the deal and complete the job, and most importantly get a repeat customer.

It is really hard sometimes, but if your not offering excellent customer service, then someone else will.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            people who could sell ice to an eskimo

Yep, that's me

Been told I could sell a box of dirt because that dirt is needed, and that dirt is better than what everyone else is selling and this is why --------------.

You have to talk at their level, explain the situation clearly, play the devil's advocate with your own logic (that's a talent that's hard to do at times but will have people thinking pro before con) and answer their question beyond the question asked. Positive thinking, positive attitude no matter how pissed off the customer is, you are in control and you make the rules while you're there. It's a domination tactic but don't ever become pushy. There are those who want to have an upper hand in the meeting of the minds and you'll fail miserably if you cater to their implied stance. You're the one making nearly $100/hour and you're the one making in a few hours what takes them all week to make; you are in charge.

I'll agree that it's a talent to be within the guidelines of salesmanship without looking like a car salesman but always refer back to that code book, our plumber's bible. Tis it be written, thou shall it be.
                            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-28-2008, 10:33 PM.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              Like I have always said.....the water is on and working in my house.

It all started many years ago with companies offering the free estimate.

sadly, people expect it now.

I don't have it written on my van and I refuse to openly advertise it, but sadly, when I get called on it, I honor it, because there are 100 others that wil do it if I don't, and besides, 95% of the time when I get out there, I close the deal and complete the job, and most importantly get a repeat customer.

It is really hard sometimes, but if your not offering excellent customer service, then someone else will.
                              Are you giving free estimates for service calls or for real jobs? I always advertised free estimates but for service calls the estimate was over the phone. There was no way I was going to pay a guy an hour to go give an estimate on an hour service call we might not get.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X