X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nifty Plumbing Tricks

This is one I have yet to try, but have been told by a friend I once worked with, and seen it posted on another forum...
    If you have a leak on PVC in a tight spot where you'd have to replace a bunch of fittings, or the space is tight/hard to reach, close all openings with test balls, put a high powered shop vac in one opening and seal the hose around the pipe to ensure vacuum inside the system.
    Start 'er up and apply primer, then cement to the leak.
    Some will say thats the wrong way to do it, and it is...but when you expect an inspector there any minute and a leak shows it's ugly head at the last minute...this could save you a half day for reinspection.
    Again, I have yet to try it, but have been told firsthand it works.

Also...threading steel gas pipe, if you have no cutting oil...motor oil will work as a temporary fix. Don't make it a habit, cutting oil has additives that oil doesn't to preserve the dies.

Comment

I was told it's the sulphur.

Comment

Maybe everyone does this. I lightly coat tank to bowl bolts, bowl bolts, sink mounting bolts/nuts etc. with pipe dope. Prevents corrosion and gives the next plumber a better chance at service or repair.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          This is one I have yet to try, but have been told by a friend I once worked with, and seen it posted on another forum...
          If you have a leak on PVC in a tight spot where you'd have to replace a bunch of fittings, or the space is tight/hard to reach, close all openings with test balls, put a high powered shop vac in one opening and seal the hose around the pipe to ensure vacuum inside the system.
          Some will say thats the wrong way to do it, and it is...but when you expect an inspector there any minute and a leak shows it's ugly head at the last minute...this could save you a half day for reinspection.
          I have to try this.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I have to try this.
            Thats what I say, but I really, really don't want to find myself in the position where I'd need to.

Comment

Thats what I say, but I really, really don't want to find myself in the position where I'd need to.
              I've been correcting the mistakes of other plumbers at my work so a tip like yours will come in handy.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I've heard of the "hot screwdriver fix" for leaks on plastic,have yet to try it tho ...

Comment

Also...threading steel gas pipe, if you have no cutting oil...motor oil will work as a temporary fix. Don't make it a habit, cutting oil has additives that oil doesn't to preserve the dies.
                  DUCK, The vacuum idea works great fixed a few pinholes using this method without fear of future leaks, Works better if you have a helping hand to take off the vacuum once you see the cement enter the hole.
                  ________
                  Penny Stock
                  Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

Dip my solder in the flux when soldering fittings over 1-1/2"

I don't know why I do this but it seems to bring me good luck

Plumbers putty and a few drops of cutting oil make a great pipe dope in a pinch.

I place the new wax ring on the FLANGE not on the bottom of the toilet.

I know, I know this isn't how the instructions show it being done

Sometimes, I pretend to be really grossed out when I pull my snake back with something nasty on it. That little act will usually get me a tip from the customer.

I use my tape measure to do my subtraction. I call it 'Stanley Math'

Comment

Another thing we run into is the closet organizer guys come into the house and just start drilling holes and they always seem to blast a few holes in the 3" pipes. We will take repair couplings and cut them in 1/4's then glue the patch coupling piece to the pipe witch saves you from trying to cut the pipe that is sandwiched in a 3 1/2'' wall to get the coupling in that wont fit anyways because it's 4" in dia.
                      ________
                      Medical marijuana patient
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

I've heard on steel pipe, that if you have a small leak on a fitting, that you can apply salt and leave it over night, and it will rust shut, stopping the leak.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

tub bells double em up triple em up work better than a basin wrench on old white metal faucet nuts installing wide spreads and ton of other uses, work smarter not harder

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                            I've heard on steel pipe, that if you have a small leak on a fitting, that you can apply salt and leave it over night, and it will rust shut, stopping the leak.
                            Anyone confirm this please ?

Comment

i have also heard the salt on steel trick but never used it.

Take a rag soak it put a bunch a salt on it and tie around the pipe

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post

I heard that the leak will stop itself without doing anything at all, it's galv and it will rust up itself.

compression fittings stop leaking eventually too, but who wants to leave the house with a slight leak
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X