X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nifty Plumbing Tricks

I had a leak about 1" above the slab on a piece of 3/4 copper that the sheet rock guys had put a nail in and it finally rusted off. There was a tee about an inch above the hole. No space at all.
    I took a 3/4" slip coupling, cut about a third of it out lengthwise and bevelled the edges so it would snap around the pipe when pushed. I cleaned and tinned the coupling and the pipe. Pushed it on and soldered it. Voila!
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      I had a leak about 1" above the slab on a piece of 3/4 copper that the sheet rock guys had put a nail in and it finally rusted off. There was a tee about an inch above the hole. No space at all.
      I took a 3/4" slip coupling, cut about a third of it out lengthwise and bevelled the edges so it would snap around the pipe when pushed. I cleaned and tinned the coupling and the pipe. Pushed it on and soldered it. Voila!
      done the same trick with pvc slip couplings.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
        Anyone confirm this please ?
        yes it works but only done it on new construction.

sprinks do it all the time.

Comment

Yeah, that's where I got the idea. I do alot of irrigation repairs and I use those snap tees occasionally (also a good way to add a faucet at the outside r.p.device). I figured, hey if works with pvc why not copper?
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

don't solder, braze those copper patches.

Comment

Pinholes in black fittings can be plugged with the "lead" of a pencil, sharpen to very narrow taper and place point in pin hole smack with palm, broken point fills hole and test away. Don't forget the amazing leadwool either.

Comment

Need a cable saw to cut plastic pipe , but you can't find it . A piece of nylon string will cut it the same way .
                EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  This is one I have yet to try, but have been told by a friend I once worked with, and seen it posted on another forum...
                  If you have a leak on PVC in a tight spot where you'd have to replace a bunch of fittings, or the space is tight/hard to reach, close all openings with test balls, put a high powered shop vac in one opening and seal the hose around the pipe to ensure vacuum inside the system.
                  Start 'er up and apply primer, then cement to the leak.
                  Some will say thats the wrong way to do it, and it is...but when you expect an inspector there any minute and a leak shows it's ugly head at the last minute...this could save you a half day for reinspection.
                  Again, I have yet to try it, but have been told firsthand it works.

Also...threading steel gas pipe, if you have no cutting oil...motor oil will work as a temporary fix. Don't make it a habit, cutting oil has additives that oil doesn't to preserve the dies.
                  i did this on a new 6" sec 80 pvc tee that had a small drip .i took my knife and cleaned out a small area then put primer in a syringe that i had for applying things for crafts and stuck it in then put the glue in . there was no pressure in the pipe . put pressure in the pipe the next day and 80* water in it the next day and it still does not leak 5 yrs later
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    I heard that the leak will stop itself without doing anything at all, it's galv and it will rust up itself.
                    the leak will stop on its own but the salt will speed it up .i make a past with the salt ,put it in the threads then put some lead wool in with a screwdriver and some times peen over a thread to hold it . and it does work i have done it a lot of times
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                      I've heard on steel pipe, that if you have a small leak on a fitting, that you can apply salt and leave it over night, and it will rust shut, stopping the leak.
                      Have I got a couple of stories for you.

Comment

Well, let's hear em boss.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by shalx View Post
                          Pinholes in black fittings can be plugged with the "lead" of a pencil, sharpen to very narrow taper and place point in pin hole smack with palm, broken point fills hole and test away. Don't forget the amazing leadwool either.
                          When you run across a roofer or any hot mopper grab a chunk of tar.Heat cast iron to melt tar over casting defects.

Comment

i took a piece of sch40 6" pvc put a cap on one end and a cleanout on the other cut the pipe a couple inches longer then my closet auger, and made a great spillproof holder for it, no more buckets or garbage bags to wrap it in to carry it out. less mess is good!!!

Comment

One trick I learned recently is when soldering copper stub outs for sinks, put a locking tape measure on the floor, with the tape extending up, then let the 1/2" copper rest on the tape measure 'lip'. It works pretty well.
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I bought a couple of those common weeder tools at the garden center. You know, the one with the two small triangle shaped prongs at the end and a wooden handle. I heated the shaft with my torch and bent one at a 90 and the other I twisted the broad part of the head a little bit and bent the shaft at a 45. They are great for digging under any pipes in the yard to clear an area for repairs.

Comment

Working...
                                X