Nifty Plumbing Tricks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nifty Plumbing Tricks

I've done both the vacuum trick and the salt on the pipe tricks.The only thing I have to add is you northern guys can use this,
    On a frozen kicthen sink line use some 3/8" hose to send into the line (Usually they are froze just below the tee)
    And trickle warm water.Gets you going pretty fast! Then cable the rest of the line to clear the rice and pumpkin they tossed in their disposal.
    The other trick I use is a strong magnet on a string to fetch tools dropped in block or to locate studs in walls. I started keeping one handy when core drilling when cutting through cable those bits of metal will come loose and screw up your bit.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
      the leak will stop on its own but the salt will speed it up .i make a past with the salt ,put it in the threads then put some lead wool in with a screwdriver and some times peen over a thread to hold it . and it does work i have done it a lot of times
      Why not just fix it the right way?
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
        I've heard on steel pipe, that if you have a small leak on a fitting, that you can apply salt and leave it over night, and it will rust shut, stopping the leak.
        On a fire sprinkler system or hydronic system with black pipe if you soak a rag and coat it with salt and tie the rag around the leaky thread it might rust up in about a week + or - 50% of the time. It might be easyer to just take it apart and fix it if you need it done ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
          . I started keeping one handy when core drilling when cutting through cable those bits of metal will come loose and screw up your bit.
          Are you cutting thru PT cables? Jay
          ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

J.B. Weld Baby !!!!!!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
              Why not just fix it the right way?
              i would take it apart and fix if i didn't have to take apart to much but some times you have to take a lot apart to get to the leaking fitting
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Sawzall and re`thread the ends
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

lead wool and other "tricks" can be butcher jobs or the hallmark of a true professional. Sawzall an rethread if you can spin a new fitting in but on commercial jobs my crew an I have spent weeks installing gas pipe to the point of being able to test sometimes finding one solitary leak in a wall or maybe in a ceiling where the inspector will not allow a union. Also knowing that removing all the joints and reinstalling them is likely to create a new leak you make a professional decision based on cost effectiveness, experience and time constraints(the bumpy bouncy mess of construction schedules) to patch using time proven methods. Test to higher standards of time and pressure if your experience is uncertain. Don't fling poo at another professionals fix that works, gets the job done, and passes inspection.

Comment

Welcome to the forum shalx.

We need more construction guys around here.

How's business?

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                      Are you cutting thru PT cables? Jay
                      I know,He scared me too.

Comment

I worked residential construction first then commercial and service in the middle as well as most of my bosses trusted me to do what little service they had. For the last three years I have been self employed full time and currently have enough projects to keep me busy. I am flexible in what I do though. Sorry to derail.

Comment

This one I would not use on water line we have used it with great success on fire sprinkler lines. If you have a system with open ends that you cannot find poor in some Pine Solve cleaner then start filling the system with are to mix it up. Then just walk around a smell to find your open ends.

Comment

PT?! HELL NO!!!! These are precast slabs!
                            YIIIIKES! Look out beeeelowwwwww!

Comment

For the toilet flange trick that started the thread, someone, I think Oaty, makes nifty repair flanges that slip down inside 4" with a rubber gasket on a taper...twist the flange and it pulls the gasket up and expands it. They are a little spendy but very nice when you have an iron line and the flange is gone or rusted to the point there is no way to bolt the toilet down.

here is a picture http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/...104&sku=486000&
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Sorry, but if I used that I would have to put it under the thread, "things I've done that I shouldn't have charged for."
                                Maybe it works, I don't know, but it just scares me. I would have to break out the old flange and go back with c.i.
                                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X