X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat rate price example

Starting up my own company and in the past any side jobs i have done a flat qouted per job depending on who it was, location, time of day.

But i would like to see some of your examples of pricing. Not asking for your entire book just an idea. Thanks

Re: flat rate price example

Tack on an extra hundred bucks no matter what the job to what a normal person would charge and you have flat rate

Just kidding.....

I went online and believe it or not I found a few people selling their employers flat rate books on Ebay ( with examples)... It may help

I have never been a flat rate guy but times may change someday so I like to stay informed I'm curious to see where this thread will go.

Comment

I am human so i will give breaks for multiple repairs at one time but i have always worked at T&M companies. I could make a flat rate list quick but am curios to see the diffrent prices depending on location, number of employees, ect...

Comment

rombo check your private messages upper right corner
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

good question, the way we did it was sat down{many times } with our accountant to figure out what our direct cost were vs indirect cost, overhead, market value, cost of materials ect, now weve been around a long time but this was still not easy because with out true cost you cannot know your worth, weve seen and checked out all the flat rate stuff on line and what applies to one company or market will surely not apply to you. this is a fine line between profitability and pirating so tread carefully and good luck.

Comment

Another flat rate thread? WTF.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              rombo check your private messages upper right corner

no talking behind our backs....it can be said in public.....can't it??

you are best to take your overhead and work on your own numbers and goals.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Tack on an extra hundred bucks no matter what the job to what a normal person would charge and you have flat rate

Just kidding.....

I went online and believe it or not I found a few people selling their employers flat rate books on Ebay ( with examples)... It may help

I have never been a flat rate guy but times may change someday so I like to stay informed I'm curious to see where this thread will go.

Or you can go T&M and milk it for 4hrs that would normally take 1hr
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Well i won't have much overhead as of right. i own a 3/4 pick up that will get my started. not as easy as working out of a van.

have most tools so i don't need to make 2k a day

Comment

but you also have to look at your house payment food clothes, and anything else you need to make a living that will come from what you pay yourself, at this point all is considered overhead ie your cost to live and provide for your family is cost. when self employed all must be considered.

Comment

i am lucky i am still young and live with my parents so my cost of living is low but i need to save money for a house in the next 2-3 years

Comment

right on so that is a projected cost, dont sell yourself short your about to take a big step, good luck.

Comment

plus i have a few buddies with well established companies that have offered some sub-work

Comment

check out UpFrontPrice.com. There are some sample books there that you can actually download, print, and use. Yes, you can make your own flat rate book, but it would take a countless number of hours to account for everything in a flate rate guide. As for the guys that bash flat-rate. All of the prices are 100% your own. If you can't sell at the rate change it. I know i can't get 1500 for a wh swap out, so i changed it. The owner of the above mentioned company is randal hilton he is a pretty cool and knowledgable guy to talk to about the subject.

My problem with T&M is that as you grow there is a chance that two techs could charge two nieghbors different prices for the same job. How do you explain that.

As you as a tech grow and get better you in turn get faster. You might attend schools and become more familiar with things, thus making you faster. Based on T&M the more versed your are at your job, the better your tools are, etc. the less your worth, because you should be faster.

Plumber Rick for example, apparently has every tool that has hit the market. To me he is working smarter with more technologically advanced stuff. He should be able to make repairs faster with his plethera of propresses, but does that mean that he is not worth as much as the guy that still insists on age old soldering techniques? At the end of the day both repairs have done the same thing why not get paid the same. Rick shouldn't get shafted even though he has been drinking cocktails since you finished cleaning your fittings and waiting on that three story house to drain so you could fix the leak.

The only reason that i make reference to soldering versus pressing is taht most all of the people that bash flat rate are the by god im not using that pex stuff or pressing is crap, or to heck with csst i only run sch 40. No offense meant to the old timers, but things evolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                              Or you can go T&M and milk it for 4hrs that would normally take 1hr
                              Now why do people think that your milking if your T/M ?

I`m T/M and I bet I can do most jobs in 1/2 the time any F/R book gives ya.

I was a factory plumber for a trailer house factory years ago and I could totally plumb 5 Double wide homes including fixtures a day. I was like 18 back then, Dont know that I could do it now, but I bet I could come close.
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X